Thread: Right arm rehab advice?

Default Right arm rehab advice?

Broke head of humerus 4weeks ago. not funny! Today played A part of OJC slowly twice before tremor set in, and pain. NoPT for at least 3 weeks so experimenting on my own. I plan to play a little bit daily and see how it goes. excuse my 1 handed typing. any fake or real doc in the house with advice? sympathy welcomed.

Default Re: Right arm rehab advice?

I broke my left shoulder a few years back. Cracked the ball and socket, tore loose some tendons. It took me a while to get so that I could play comfortably. I found that I was able to play the guitar earlier than I could play the mandolin as I couldn't draw my arm in tight. I can tell you this, with work it does get better. Through it all and even now Alieve is my friend. Here's to hoping you heal quickly.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Cindy 

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Based on your avatar, I'm assuming that you're right handed. So question one is: did you have surgery, i.e. plate and/or pins. If so, wait the three additional weeks for PT. Then find out what you can do. You're probably still non-weight bearing. Even minimal picking or fretting action creates stress from wrist to upper arm. If no surgery was involved, wait three weeks for PT to begin. Unless you have specific guidance from your orthopedic surgeon as to what range-of-motion you can do, play it safe. Here's wishing you a full recovery.
    Last edited by NursingDaBlues; Apr-02-2017 at 3:25pm.

5. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

Cindy 

I admire your determination but question your judgment. Not well enough for PT, but 'experimenting'. You might use the downtime for more mental exercises, devising a practice schedule, studying theory, listening to more of your favorite music, trying to hear keys, singing phrases, improving your ear, vocal exercises. They say 'if you can't sing it, you can't play it', so why not improve that part of your game with no risk or pain?

This advice is worth all you paid
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

7. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Cindy 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I admire your determination but question your judgment. Not well enough for PT, but 'experimenting'. You might use the downtime for more mental exercises, devising a practice schedule, studying theory, listening to more of your favorite music, trying to hear keys, singing phrases, improving your ear, vocal exercises. They say 'if you can't sing it, you can't play it', so why not improve that part of your game with no risk or pain?

This advice is worth all you paid
    Sounds exactly right to me! You're not going to forget how to play the mando. You'll be rusty when you get back to it, but it will all come back fast - if you follow your doctor's instructions.

And I'd also start looking around for new music to listen to. Expand horizons. If you know the Ryman book cold, check out Italian mandolin. If you're an ace at Texas swing, fill your ears up with Quebecois or Celtic sounds.

Or check out some artists who play friendly neighbor instruments - zouks, citterns, charangas, bajo sextos, lutes, hammered dulcimers.

Then when you're up and running again, you'll be busting with new ideas.

Just my dos centavos. Get well soon!

9. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Cindy 

Blog Entries

Perfect time to learn harmonica on a neck brace, without feeling guilty about wasting mandolin practice time. You'll be the coolest mandobluesman by the time you're ready for the mandolin.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

CHASAXCindy 

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yes ... patience is indicated. Read listen and study...... play later. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

13. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Cindy 

I had tendonitis awhile back. When I asked the doc about playing guitar, his advice was, "How about you put down your guitar for awhile, pick up your iPod." So yeah, what everybody else said.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

15. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Cindy 

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Here are a few ideas, assuming you may not already know these things:
    Learn the fretboard backwards and forwards.
    Learn all the major and minor key signatures.
    Strengthen your left pinkie with this exercise (if comfortable) suggested by another member from a 2004 post I found, "Put your right arm across your chest as if it was a fretboard. Reach underneath with your left hand and place your fingers on your right forearm like you are fretting it. Then the fun part. Raise your index and ring fingers at the same time while leaving the middle and ring finger down. Then switch them. Raise the middle and pinkie while putting the index and ring back down. Do this in unison."

Take baby steps and listen to your therapist. It will take time. I blew out my left rotator cuff in a ladder accident nearly (2) years ago. Couldn't play for months. Even after surgery to reconnect (2) tendons and repair a torn third followed by months of PT, pain is still a daily companion. Tuesday I'll have my third MRI/arthroscope to confirm a possible torn glenoid labrum in the same shoulder. Another surgery is likely.

Shoulder injuries are a royal pain. My best wishes for a complete and relatively painless recovery. God bless.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

17. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

Cindy 

Two personal examples to emphasize the point of TAKE YOUR TIME HEALING, don't push it.

1. Years back Mateo Caserino nipped the tendon on the left hand, little finger on a table saw. Mateo was a little, hard headed Sicilian mandolin player of local renown, (see Cafe Treiste in S.F. and many points around the bay area). He was told to STAY OFF the little finger for six weeks and he should heal up just fine. Mateo was stubborn and did not listen and pushed his recovery. Because of his disregard for the professional advise he was given he lived out his life with his left hand pinky useless, pointed straight up, never to be heard from again.

2. I had a freaky fall from my bicycle and shattered my rt. tibia. I was told SIX MONTHS !! no weight bearing. That means crutches 24/7. I was told if I did my rehab correctly I should recover. Because I had seen Mateo fail I determined not to. My accident was ten years ago and to this day I can squat, ride the bike, walk for hours with no issues.

TAKE YOUR TIME HEALING. The first chance is your best chance. If you do it right you will be back where you were in what ever amount of time it takes. Take the time, don't push it, your body wants to heal. If you force it when it's not ready... not good.

Be wise.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Sympathy-sympathy-sympathy ... and a virtual cup of tea. Heal soon.

20. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post:

Cindy 

right handed, no surgery. taking advice, tx

that feels like useful work, tx

was pretty depressed reading advice to take it easy, but now I'm fired up to learn new tunes by humming, do voice exercises, learn lyrics, fill fretboard gaps in my head at least, etc. I think there's a lot I can work on . bless you all!!

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

At 4 weeks your fracture is not healed or stable. Take your time-- you have the rest of your life to play.
    Sometimes, an enforced period of not playing brings you back to it refreshed and better for it. Muscle memory will get you up and running pretty quickly.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

25. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Cindy 

Summit County, Colorado

Read that book on Music Theory that you have been pushing aside.
    Practice forming chords with your left hand.
    If you have a keyboard or piano study left hand chords.
    Listen to tunes you know and that you want to learn.

Facing shoulder surgery #5. Have experienced and read about recovery enough to know not to rush it. Listen to the doctors.
    Chocolate is the best self pity food.
    Collings MT-0
    1940s Gibson A that needs refretting
    Old bowlback
    Considering a Big Muddy because I still regret
    selling my Mid-Mo

27. The following members say thank you to CHASAX for this post:

Cindy 

As I read, Les Paul had his auto accident damaged right elbow fused at an angle* that let him keep playing the guitar..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Is it your picking hand that is broken? If so, perfect time to work on hammer-ons and pull-offs. You'd be surprised how much sound you can get without strumming. Try to anchor your mandolin with a strap and your broken arm, not putting too much stress on your arm or mandolin and let the left hand hammer-on scales and arpeggios up the neck. Then reverse it going down doing pull-offs. If you do this for the 3-6 weeks that you need to take it easy, then you'll have a treat teaching your picking hand to keep up. Plus, you'll be learning arpeggios, and getting to know how your instrument sounds when it isn't being played loudly... Best of luck with the healing process!

30. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Cindy 

Shattered my left wrist (car accident) Sept. 2013. Two surgeries, then months of rehab. The main thing was the rehab, two or three sessions a week at first, stretching machines, increased weights, dexterity tests, and a bunch of home exercises -- stretching, weight mobility, fingers wrist range of motion.

Rehab is the key; get referred to a good clinic, perhaps related to the hospital where you were treated, and follow the therapists' advice. Almost every injury can be overcome, but it takes time, directed therapy and exercise, and home exercises continuing for months after the clinic sessions are over.

Good luck, and lots of sympathy. You'll get there.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

32. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Cindy