Thread: Suggestion for android reader

Default Suggestion for android reader

I'm looking for a program that will read cord sheets and PDF files.
    I would like to be able to put together a set list and to access the funds alphabetically do not need one that reads music notation. What do you suggest .

Default Re: Suggestion for android reader

Quote Originally Posted by texaspaul View Post
    I'm looking for a program that will read cord sheets and PDF files.
    I would like to be able to put together a set list and to access the funds alphabetically do not need one that reads music notation. What do you suggest .
    For PDF files, I like MobileSheets Pro. Been using it for about a year now with no issues, it "just works". While I have barely scratched the surface of its capabilities, the stuff that I *do* want it to do, is accomplished easily. Reviews at Google Play Store, more info at developer website.

Yes you can sort alphabetically, or by date modified or date created.

Setlists have the additional option to be sorted manually, or you can also choose Shuffle mode.

Or, in some areas, you can sort via other criteria such as Key, Composer, Album, etc, depending on whether or not you have manually added such additional data about each tune.

You also get to choose which categories you want to see on your main screen. In my case, I selected:

- Collections (I create different collections for different books that tunes come from)
    - Recent
    - Setlists
    - Songs (the *big* list of everything)
    - Genres
    - Keys
    - Composers

I've been using it on two different devices, a low-end tablet running Android 5-point-something and, for infrequent instances when the tablet is not available (like, forgot to bring it with me or forgot to charge it up), a phone running Android 6-point-something. Pretty darned small on the phone but ok in a pinch for reading chords off leadsheets, better than guessing and getting all the chords wrong on obscure tunes that aren't committed to memory yet. (No, I personally don't bring this sort of thing to public jams or sessions, although I have no objections if other people do.)

Tablet display of MobileSheets Pro is just fine, I really like it. I have a small-ish 'budget' tablet but it has good screen resolution, 1920 x 1200, and it's the resolution that's important for determining how much detail you can see in the onscreen pages.

There's another thread around here on the forum someplace that discusses more about Android readers including MobileSheets Pro, does anyone have the link?

(NFI, FWIW, IMO, YMMV, etc)

3. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

I have a small LG Tablet (7") that is convent to carry in a case for back up. I use an IPad with "FourScore" and transfer files from Dropbox which is linked to my android LG so most of the same files are available to load to new file reader. I have set list for use in prison ministry, Church worship sets, retreats BG jams and shows that are fluid.
    I will look into this program. THANKS

5. The following members say thank you to texaspaul for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by texaspaul View Post
    I have a small LG Tablet (7") that is convent to carry in a case for back up. I use an IPad with "FourScore" and transfer files from Dropbox which is linked to my android LG so most of the same files are available to load to new file reader. I have set list for use in prison ministry, Church worship sets, retreats BG jams and shows that are fluid.
    I will look into this program. THANKS
    I have used Mobile Sheets Pro for more than 2 years now. It replaces two binders and several jam books.
    My Samsung Galaxy Tab 12.2 is the perfect size for it. Sheets are almost normal size. Mobile Sheets Pro can display 2 pages next to each other when you turn the Tablet to Landscape.
    I also like that you can just take a picture with your tablet and incorporate it into your library.
    It also works with a Bluetooth pedal, which would be good for somebody playing gigs.
    HOWEVER, when I checked last, there was no version available for iPad.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

I like The program I use on my iPad and I will continue to use Dropbox as a transfer file between both devices. I was really looking for something to you for the android.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    For PDF files, I like MobileSheets Pro. Been using it for about a year now with no issues, it "just works".

Tablet display of MobileSheets Pro is just fine, I really like it. I have a small-ish 'budget' tablet .
    I too have been using MobileSheetsPro for over a year.

I have it on a large Samsung Galaxy View pad. It really has made using sheet music on gigs a lot easier.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I'm a fan of the Onsong app. It's really flexible and supports pretty much any format you find for lead sheets, PDFs, or whatever you have. We haven't run across a format that it won't import and display. It will even import directly from web pages etc. We use Onsong in the band mixing Ipads and android devices; three Ipads, one android tablet and an android phone (freakin drummers....) We haven't had any issues with connectivity between any of the devices. Mostly we are using it for set lists, tune changes on the fly where no one has to talk to anyone, and reminders for announcements like calling out the waitstaff by name, coming events at the venue, you get the idea. We are also running our own in ear monitor mixes from the devices as well.

I can't compare onsong to mobilesheets though, never used MSheets...

I also have very positive views on Mobilesheets. I have the older version and recently I lost it from my tablet when I did a factory reset. I e-mailed Mike at Mobilesheets to see if there was a way to recover the lost program (I had backed up the songs/tunes) and although my version was the old one (green button - the new version has a blue button) Mike put up a link for me to download the program from his site and then e-mailed me to make sure I had had no problems. There is quality service, folks, and for a product which only cost me less than £5 to buy in the first place!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    I'm a fan of the Onsong app. It's really flexible and supports pretty much any format you find for lead sheets, PDFs, or whatever you have. We haven't run across a format that it won't import and display. It will even import directly from web pages etc. We use Onsong in the band mixing Ipads and android devices; three Ipads, one android tablet and an android phone (freakin drummers....) We haven't had any issues with connectivity between any of the devices.
    As far as I know (and the onsongapp web site says) the OnSong app is not available for Android yet. There was a fundraising campaign some time ago to make it happen, but so far it is not ready.

As already pointed out, Mobilesheets is a good reader for Android, but you should also check out the Fakebook Pro (disclaimer: I develop this app). In my, not so humble and very biased, opinion Fakebook is the most simple to use and "giggable" app available for Android.
    Try it out, and if you are not completely satisfied just drop me a mail and I will refund the purchase.

ha. you're right. he's using an old Iphone for onsong. His tablet he never got to work with the OS simulator (he's a tech guy for the local borg microsoft) and it was a MS device in any case. My bad. Glad you cleared that up before anyone got too confused.