Thread: Article: GHS Strings Introduce Pure Nickel Mandolin Strings

Blog Entries

Default Article: GHS Strings Introduce Pure Nickel Mandolin Strings

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

Default Re: Article: GHS Strings Introduce Pure Nickel Mandolin Strings

Intriguing. Any information about the unwound strings? Are they plain steel similar to the D'Addario Nickel Bronze?

So, Martin refuses to introduce Retro (monel) mandolin strings, and GHS takes up the slack. Well done!

I have been playing these since the middle of last year, they are a great string. I have been liking them on several different mandolins. The plain string should be just that, plain strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have been playing these since the middle of last year, they are a great string. I have been liking them on several different mandolins. The plain string should be just that, plain strings.
    Where are you getting them? I asked them when they'd be available so I could add some links but they said they hadn't found their way into retail yet, or are just about to arrive.

I was doing some of the prototyping, I have had the .039 gauge and a .040. I had some personnel things and have been out of touch for a couple months and am glad they bumped the .040 to .041. I think I have a set if you PM me your address I will send you one. Just a thank you for all you do here.

Blog Entries

Good to know! Afraid I'm a die-hard Phosphor Bronze guy and have been for longer than I'd like to admit but thanks for the offer.

Curious how these will compare in price and tone to the recent D'Addario NB sets.

I love the tone and everything with my typical J74 or EXP74CM sets but my chemistry wreaks havoc on them fairly quickly. I noticed less 'crud' buildup on that NB set I tried.

Blog Entries

I ping'd our contact with GHS about the discussion. Maybe they'll read this and consider offering a giveaway of some strings. No promises... that's just us talking.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

These are different than the NB in that they are pure nickel without the bronze. I had been using the GHS white bronze guitar strings for a long time and that is how I got involved in this, I ask if they would be interested in making the white bronze loop end for mandolin. Jon told me they had just started experimenting with a pure nickel and sent me some. They are a very nice string. Like the white bronze they are not as bright as phosphor bronze when you put them on, but more stable and a couple of months down the road they are not dead like phosphor bronze are. They don't tarnish, for me anyway, like phosphor bronze. These have been in the works for a while now and I am glad they have finally hit the finish line. They have been mentioned in several threads in the past here.

pops1 was very kind to send me a set to try and report back and I generally liked them tho I have pretty much settled on the D'Addario NBs as my string of choice -- just a tad more warmth to my ears. They are definitely worth trying tho for those who want a different sound.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Perilous Deep View Post
    Intriguing. Any information about the unwound strings? Are they plain steel similar to the D'Addario Nickel Bronze?
    The plain strings are tinned steel, which is the same as all of our mandolin string sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    I ping'd our contact with GHS about the discussion. Maybe they'll read this and consider offering a giveaway of some strings. No promises... that's just us talking.
    Who did you contact over here? I would be the person you want to talk to. Please feel free to message me directly either by PM or email.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Moody View Post
    Who did you contact over here? I would be the person you want to talk to. Please feel free to message me directly either by PM or email.
    Jon, it was someone that works with news releases like the one published here. They apparently contacted you. That was who I was referring to. I'll contact you via email. Thanks.

How would these sound on an electric mando?

GHS makes a nickel string for electric guitar, they should sound very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How would these sound on an electric mando?
    They'll sound great! As mentioned, we have a number of pure nickel electric guitar strings (in the Nickel Rockers family), and many players love them for the warm sound and smooth feel.

So nice to see GHS involved in the conversation! Thanks Jon.
    I'm sure Dave Holcomb has long been gone from the company but, he was a very nice fellow when I was working at a music store here in Kalamazoo. I was actually in one of the ads that appeared on the back cover of Pickin' magazine years ago (1978?)
    I tested a few sets for him company gauged up a couple of dozen sets (frighteningly heavy) and were very gracious about doing it!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

We're working with GHS to do a giveaway of some sets to a dozen or so we'll pick at random.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    GHS makes a nickel string for electric guitar, they should sound very nice.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Moody View Post
    They'll sound great! As mentioned, we have a number of pure nickel electric guitar strings (in the Nickel Rockers family), and many players love them for the warm sound and smooth feel.
    Thank you, I'll see if my friends at the Fretmill here in Roanoke, Va will pick them up!

Looking forward to trying these out. Over the past year or so, I've found that I've gravitated away from more standard coated and uncoated phosphor bronze and toward alternatives like Mangan Monel, D'Addario NB's and GHS Silk and Bronze. Just a preference for the sound I suppose. These GHS Nickels deserve a shot in the "what's old is new again" sweepstakes!

Count me in for wanting to try these new strings! I'm intrigued.

I am trying out the Medium N270 set: 11-16-27-41. I absolutely love them! They feel great and are very balanced all over the fingerboard. Nice "woody" tone too.