Thread: Plastic fauxl ivoroid binding

Blog Entries

Default Plastic fauxl ivoroid binding

I looking for some tall and thick plastic faux ivoroid binding. The dimensions that would be ideal for this application are:

height = 6.8 mm (0.26"; 17/64")
    thickness = 1.8 mm (0.07"; 5/64')

Also like to find a source of tall and thin plastic accent binding both black and white which is:

height = 6.8 mm (0.26"; 17/64")
    thickness = 0.4 mm (0.015";1/64)

The binding would not have to be the exact dimensions note above. Anyone know of a source? I would prefer not to get into actual ivoroid (i.e., nitro) unless I have to to find the size I need.

I'd like to buy about 60" or more of each binding type.

Here is an example from eBay.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Default Re: Plastic fauxl ivoroid binding

You can get this from Axiom, I would warn you that to send it in the mail in the U.S. it is around $27+ as it is considered hazardous material
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You can get this from Axiom, I would warn you that to send it in the mail in the U.S. it is around $27+ as it is considered hazardous material
    I apologize for the typo in the title!!

Thanks for the reply!

I know about this source -- but Axiom sells real celluloid ivoroid binding. I would like to avoid using that material and use instead the imitation of faux ivoroid binding or plastic ivoroid.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Sorry, I missed the Plastic and looked at the pic. Not sure about where to get that. I had some newer binding that was nearly impossibe to glue and went back to celluloid.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I recently bound the top of an F-5 project and found the plastic to be a real pain as far as heating and gluing in place. It had been a while since I last bound an F-5 and at that time I used celluloid. It seemed to be so much easier to work with. I would be tempted to only use celluloid for the next one. Anyone have a similar experience with plastic being difficult? I do like the look of the faux celluloid.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

7. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Stew-Mac sells very thin black and white plastic purfling .020" x .250". All the purfling they sell is in .020 (.5mm) increments of thickness. LMI sell similar purflings, some of it pre-laminated in various combinations of BW. I have never come across any other ivory coloured binding other than ivorioid with its characteristic 'graining' other than some from China which is rather more translucent and not quite as appealing. Everything else I have found is just cream coloured plastic without the faux-ivory grain. I burnt a bit of the Chinese binding and it doesn't seem to ignite in the same was a celluloid, so it may be some other kind of plastic. it is quite readily available through ebay and there are several other suppliers who sell much the same stuff. The Chinese sellers seem unfazed by other people's postal restrictions and will just stick it in an envelope and post it. Below is a picture with LMI Ivoroid on the left and the translucent Chinese variety on the right.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ivoroids.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	155353

9. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

If the hazmat fee is the holdup, I've bought the celluloid binding off of eBay and not paid the hazmat fee... It comes from China and you have to wait a while (maybe two weeks) to get it but I've had good luck with it, especially the tortoise binding. If you decide to give it a try, be sure you get enough to finish whatever your project(s) may be because binding will vary from shipment to shipment.
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

11. The following members say thank you to Bluetickhound for this post:

On my last project I went with plain white boltaron (ABS/PVC) from LMI to avoid the dreaded hazmat fee and I agree with Jim in post 5. It was somewhat difficult to work with compared to celluloid . Looks like China may get my business next time lol

13. The following members say thank you to Clinton Johnson for this post:

Allparts has celluloid iveroid with no hazmat fee and cream colored plastic

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MANNDOLINS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

A lot of good information and suggestions here -- Thanks to all! I will post back here when I find something and get to the job!
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MANNDOLINS View Post
    Allparts has celluloid iveroid with no hazmat fee and cream colored plastic

I wonder if Allparts might have dropped the ivoroid binding recently?

I do not find it on their site right now? They seem to offer only four celluloid products now? I may give them a phone call tomorrow and I'll update the situation.

They do offer a plastic binding called "rippled cream" binding -- maybe that is code for ivoroid?
    Bernie
    ____

I have been using ivoroid binding for about 40 years, and I have not seen a substitute for celluloid. In fact, the only ivory-grained plastic I have seen that is not celluloid was made of polyester, and it is not flexible enough to be used for bindings.
    To avoid the hazmat fee, I did buy some of the ivoroid binding strips direct from China, and I found it to be too translucent. It looks dark when installed on a dark wood like rosewood, but it should be fine on natural maple or spruce.
    If you believe the hazmat regulation is protecting us from spontaneous fires on the Interstate (or from terrorists), just note that finished goods like pickguards are exempt from the regulation. Celluloid pickguards are not less hazardous; you can prove it with a lighter or a match.
    I would be interested to learn how many shipping accidents actually happened in the 145 years that celluloid was not so restricted by regulation. Enforcement only occurred after 9/11. AFAIK, there have been no modern terrorist acts that employed celluloid.
    John

19. The following members say thank you to John Arnold for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    I wonder if Allparts might have dropped the ivoroid binding recently?

I do not find it on their site right now? They seem to offer only four celluloid products now? I may give them a phone call tomorrow and I'll update the situation.

They do offer a plastic binding called "rippled cream" binding -- maybe that is code for ivoroid?
    Yes, that's it..their description.."Synthetic Ivory Binding, with Rippled Grain .060 x 5/16 x 54 inch." Pretty sure it is celluloid..just used some..looks great.

21. The following members say thank you to MANNDOLINS for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MANNDOLINS View Post
    Yes, that's it..their description.."Synthetic Ivory Binding, with Rippled Grain .060 x 5/16 x 54 inch." Pretty sure it is celluloid..just used some..looks great.
    Sounds good I ordered some today! Thanks
    Bernie
    ____