Thread: Gluing a Mandolin Top Plate to the Rim.

Default Gluing a Mandolin Top Plate to the Rim.

Here's a link to a video I put together last night showing my method of gluing a mandolin top plate to the rim.

https://vimeo.com/209040929

'sorry, I can't seem to get the video to embed.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Oliver A. For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gluing a Mandolin Top Plate to the Rim.

Great video Oliver and I love that fixture you use, that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I request you post another when you install the back.

4. The following members say thank you to Clinton Johnson for this post:

I've never seen someone use a brad nailer to glue the top to the rim. What a neat idea - as in, why didn't I think of that? Guess I know what I'll be doing on the next one...

6. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    I've never seen someone use a brad nailer to glue the top to the rim. What a neat idea - as in, why didn't I think of that? Guess I know what I'll be doing on the next one...
    Thanks fscotte.

'just to clarify, I'm using a pin nailer and not a brad nailer. A pin nailer shoots teeny pins as opposed to a brad nailer that shoots brads about the size of finishing nails. The pins are only used temporarily to keep the top from sliding out of position. I set the nailer to leave the 1/2" long pins about 1/8" proud so that I can remove them later. The teeny hole left at the head-block will be covered by the fingerboard riser and the other teeny hole, which gets filled, is under the tailpiece.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

are you also using a heat lamp ? seems like you are sure taking your time with hide glue ?
    John D

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    are you also using a heat lamp ? seems like you are sure taking your time with hide glue ?
    At the beginning of the video, you can see me checking a thermometer that is on the rim assembly which is under a heat lamp. I warm the assembly to 120 degrees F. When move the assembly onto my work board, I place the top plate under the heat lamp.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

Bill Snyder

11. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

No one likes a show off Bill.

Actually, I think Vimeo screens newly posted videos and won't allow the embed function until the video gets the OK.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

Hey, now I can say I was called a show off by a well known luthier. I don't have to say what for do I?
    Bill Snyder

14. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Nice jig Oliver! I've been thinking about something like that for long time but with my limited space I cannot have everything.
    BTW, I've thought of using these knobs for quick application without drill:
    http://www.rockler.com/quick-release-5-star-knobs
    Adrian

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Very nice video and very clever jig.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

18. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    BTW, I've thought of using these knobs for quick application without drill:
    http://www.rockler.com/quick-release-5-star-knobs
    The four-arm or 5-star knobs would work very nicely without the drill attachment that I made. The drill shaves a few seconds off of the total clamping time (and is fun to use). I got my knobs and most of the other fixture parts from Lee Valley tools. They have a nice assortment of jig and fixture parts.

I use this fixture and set of clamping cauls to assemble the rim and to glue the top and back plates so for me, it actually saves space.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I'll second you on the Lee Valley comment. A great company that offers a fine selection of everything woodworking.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Adrian Minarovic

The knobs in the link are not common style but have angled hole so you can insert them on the threads without turning all the way down and the threads engage only when you turn them back square to the threads (when you hit the surface) and then just add few turns to tighten. Lee Valley likely has similar knobs as well.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    The knobs in the link are not common style but have angled hole so you can insert them on the threads without turning all the way down and the threads engage only when you turn them back square to the threads (when you hit the surface) and then just add few turns to tighten. Lee Valley likely has similar knobs as well.
    Lee Valley as far as I can tell does not have the type of knobs you are talking about. The ones you mentioned would be very fast. Lee Valley does carry what they call speed nuts which act in same the manner.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...455,61994&ap=2

As I was gluing another body together last night, I realized that the main reason that I made the drill attachment was for installing the threaded rods into the mold. The rods are approximately 6" long and have 4-arm knobs on one end. Installing them by hand is a PITA.
    I may give the 5-star "speed" knobs a try for tightening the gluing caul although the system is working very well for me now.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com