Thread: I-Tone Picks

Default I-Tone Picks

Anybody tried the I-Tone pick, developed by Shawn Lane of the bluegrass band, Blue Highway? The I-Tone website has a video of Shawn demonstrating on his mandolin, which I think has a redwood top on a Dearstone mandolin. Appears there is only one model of pick, the I-Tone 41, $35. There is an article in the March issue of the magazine Bluegrass Unlimited.
    John A. Karsemeyer

Default Re: I-Tone Picks

There are several threads in the Equipment forum.

I'm not opposed to paying $35 for a pick, but I don't like the rounded points or thickness of the I-Pick.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

3. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

JAK 

I got one. To me it gave a softer sound than same thickness BC. I could get use to the shape and the thickness is perfect, but that softer sound just ain't me. Reminds me of when I first tried those new "Dawg" picks from Saga back in the 80's. I ain't the Dawg and I guess I ain't the Shawn either.

I'm resurrecting this thread as I currently have an I-Tone on loan. I stand by my comments above, that I don't like rounded points or picks this thin, but I really like the sound and feel of this thing. It's super dark sounding, and seems to sit in place like a BC.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I've had my I-Tone for about a year now and really find it to be a wonderful plectrum. On my A5 I prefer it to BC picks (of which I have several). On my F5 I still prefer either Wegan or a BC. It is very fast off the string, wears well, easy to grip, and gives a very pleasing pop and articulation. To me it's worth BC money to have one.
    current joys:
    Gibson F-5G | Northfield A5 Special | Kentucky KM-150 | Mid-Mo M-70 Octave | Martin HD-28V | Gold Tone BC-350 | 5-string Mandoblaster | Les Paul | Strat | Piano | Bongos | Tacoma Thunderchief | old Dobro | Some amps & microphones

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
    I've had my I-Tone for about a year now and really find it to be a wonderful plectrum. On my A5 I prefer it to BC picks (of which I have several). On my F5 I still prefer either Wegan or a BC. It is very fast off the string, wears well, easy to grip, and gives a very pleasing pop and articulation. To me it's worth BC money to have one.
    I had a different experience. I had the onyx model of the itone, it didn't resist wear any where as much as a blue chip, showing sign of wear after a few hours, required a polish to remove a gritty texture to the edge. It felt too thin for heavy handed playing IMO, felt as though it would flex away from the attack. Perhaps the white model it tougher than the limited offering of the onxy. Not sure why it's not offered in different gauges.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I had a different experience. I had the onyx model of the itone, it didn't resist wear any where as much as a blue chip, showing sign of wear after a few hours, required a polish to remove a gritty texture to the edge. It felt too thin for heavy handed playing IMO, felt as though it would flex away from the attack. Perhaps the white model it tougher than the limited offering of the onxy. Not sure why it's not offered in different gauges.
    That's interesting. I've toyed with the idea of trying out the onyx one but like the ivory/white one just fine. I will say that it doesn't come as nicely polished as a BC but I don't mind doing some of that occasionally on a pick. I think depending on how you hold a pick too can make a difference of perceived volume. But thanks for that - I'll probably just stick to the one I have for now. As I've been really focussing on tremolo technique I'm finding a teeny bit of flex lends to a more legato, lyrical attack.
    current joys:
    Gibson F-5G | Northfield A5 Special | Kentucky KM-150 | Mid-Mo M-70 Octave | Martin HD-28V | Gold Tone BC-350 | 5-string Mandoblaster | Les Paul | Strat | Piano | Bongos | Tacoma Thunderchief | old Dobro | Some amps & microphones

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I had the same experience with the onyx. Plus too much pick click. I sold it after a few days.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

10. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post: