Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help!!! Found a bunch of options for a first mandolin

Question Please help!!! Found a bunch of options for a first mandolin

Hey! Please, I'd really, really, really appreciate your help. Thanks!

I want to get my boyfriend a mandolin for his birthday. I've read a ton of threads and narrowed it down, but now I totally just need help. My budget is ~$200 (but preferably less). I know I need to get new strings (D'Addario J74s were recommended somewhere) and get it set up.

He's pretty poor, so it's unlikely he'll ever get another one, so I want it to be good enough that it's not just a crappy beginner mandolin meant to be replaced in a few years... but still cheap enough for me to buy in the first place.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!!

Default Re: Please help!!! Found a bunch of options for a first mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by riceballattack View Post
    Hey! Please, I'd really, really, really appreciate your help. Thanks!

I want to get my boyfriend a mandolin for his birthday. I've read a ton of threads and narrowed it down, but now I totally just need help. My budget is ~$200 (but preferably less). I know I need to get new strings (D'Addario J74s were recommended somewhere) and get it set up.

He's pretty poor, so it's unlikely he'll ever get another one, so I want it to be good enough that it's not just a crappy beginner mandolin meant to be replaced in a few years... but still cheap enough for me to buy in the first place.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!!
    I have got to believe on a $200.00 budget, the Gretsch G9300 New Yorker would be set up properly where it would play and sound as good as it could. Give them a call. I never bought a mandolin from them but all my accessories purchases from them have been satisfying. For any mandolin a good set up really can make a big difference.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I've owned 2 Kentucky's and Gretsch 9320. I would go for the Kentucky if you can find a used one, there should be some floating around on the Classifieds. They are far superior IMHO (the Kentucky 140 has been described as inferior but not necessarily a must-avoid, laminate woods etc, tho I've never played/seen one). The Gretsch set up by a dedicated mandolin dealer, i.e. not your generic national chain store, plays well but doesn't ahve great tone.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/en...andolin-Advice

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ndolin-Draft-1

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...in-Buying-Tips
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

The Kentucky is the only one you mentioned that I would consider. A "The Loar" is another good inexpensive mandolin. Used they may be in you budget stay with the A style more mandolin for the money.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Out of the bunch, I'd go for the Kentucky. That's a reputable seller who will set up the instrument for ease of playing, with the correct strings, and my impression is that the Kentucky really is a hundred dollars better than the Gretsch. If you buy an instrument from Robert, you won't have to pay someone else to set it up, because he'll do it properly before sending it to you.

You might get lucky with a Kentucky, Loar, Rover, or even an Eastman in a local CraigsList sale. But I wouldn't suggest considering most other brands. Rogue and Fender and Epiphone are everywhere, but I wouldn't consider them superior to a Kentucky with a proper setup.

Goodwill is a crapshoot ... most of what they have today is junk; come back tomorrow and who knows?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

If strictly limited to $200, the G9300 Gretsch at least has a solid (though heat-pressed) top, laminated back and sides. The Fender and Ibanez are plywood, which isn't as good.

The Kentucky KM-150 is better, carved top and back, all solid woods. If you can get a used one you might get below $250; discounted, you can get 'em new for under $300 but they don't come set up.

You're aware of the importance of a set-up, presumably including new strings. Your boyfriend may also want a tuner, strap, gig bag etc., but he could come up with the $$$ for those.

Be aware that what you say you're looking for –– a $200 mandolin that's a "lifetime keeper" -- just may not exist. If he gets serious about mandolin he'll probably outgrow the Gretsch or whatever in a year, and will have to find a way to afford a better one.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Heck, I have more straps than I know what to do with, and recently got 4 promotional sets of J74s ... PM me ...

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks for all the replies! That was honestly all really informative. I really appreciate it!! He's going to be SO happy; he's wanted a mandolin the whole time I've known him.

Oh! I didn't realize the Kentucky came with set up!! I didn't even realize that was a thing that could happen pre-shipped. I was expected to pay another $50-100 on top of list price for setup, so that basically makes the Kentucky about $230-280 compared to the rest.

Hmmm. Maybe I can get it and just put a bow on it again at Christmas and at his birthday next year. But then he'd know it was expensive, and he'd feel bad I spent so much... But I guess allen's right that if I'm going to spend so much money anyway, I might as well get the one he won't outgrow in a year. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a used Kentucky, and if I can't find one in time, suck it up and get this one.

Oh man, a tuner and a strap! I didn't even think of that. A tuner can't be hard to find super cheap from someone; my city has two music schools. Thanks for the thought! Oh man, I bet I need a pick, too? Google says guitar picks are not ideal but usable, so I'll see if I just know anyone with an extra guitar pick. Maybe for super cheap Christmas, I'll get him a real pick.

Also, mrmando you're amazing, thank you!!!

I've got several different picks I'd be happy to mail for free. PM me if you can't find one locally. Don't sweat picks, though...Fender Heavy and extra Heavy guitar picks work just fine, and are pocket change cheap...

I'd be happy to mail them to MrMando if you'd prefer to do that rather than give your address to a random internet guy...totally understand...
    Last edited by CES; Mar-12-2017 at 11:30am.
    Chuck

Setup is critical on any instrument but possibly more so on a mandolin than some other instruments due to the steel strings and tension. I had first hand experience on my first mandolin. If there is any way you could swing it I would recommend getting a Kentucky 150 from one of our site sponsors. It really is amazing they can make instruments that good for that price. It is solid wood and carved unlike several less expensive mandolins. The used vs new on an instrument at that price almost is not worth it to me, risk vs. reward. If you buy one new that is $350 +/- shipped and setup you know what you will get and it will be playable and ready to go. It will also come with a gig bag or hard case. If you by a used one chances are it will need some setup work and this can run $40-100 (if frets do not need replaced or major work) depending on what is needed. The uses one may or may not come with a gig bag or case, $20 to $75. New strings $5-10. He will also get a warranty with the new one, so if there is an issue with in a reasonable time it is not an problem. I am sure he will love what ever you get him but if the neck does not feel right or something else you could return it.
    If you do look for a used mandolin try to get something recent. It is pretty well agreed on that instruments are getting better as they build more and are experiencing more competition. So a new Kentucky 150 may be a better mandolin than a higher model from 10 years ago.
    You might post a wanted ad in the classifieds for your budget and you might see what someone has to offer.

I would like to recommend the Elderly Starter Mandolin Outfit for $390. You are already considering the Kentucky 150 for $330. For an extra 60 dollars you get a nice case, tuner, picks, extra strings, polishing cloth, string winder, and beginning book. Everything he needs to get started.

I hate to bring it up, but surely after looking at what mandolins cost, you realize that your chances of getting something under your 200 dollar budget worth having are very slim. I would advise staying away from the Savannah. The only Grestch I would even consider is the one that is all solid mahogany. And the Shop Goodwill stuff is almost always junk, with old falling apart entry level stuff from 50 or more years ago (which almost always need repairs that exceed the value of the instrument) or newer imported junk which would need at minimum new strings and a set up, but still be junk. Lots of places that sell used instruments don't set them up. Guitar Center does not set up used instruments. One place that hasn't been mentioned that sells used instruments, sets them up, and guarantees them to be in playing condition when they arrive is Music Go Round. You should check out their Web page. I have dealt with them several times and have always been very satisfied. Never bought a mandolin from them, though.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Don makes some excellent points -- but remember, the budget has been increased from the $200 that the OP quoted in Post #1, to nearly double that.

Here's a used KM-150 on eBay for $215. Now, buying off an auction site means no guarantees on set-up, so consider that might be required; definitely needs new strings, and as for gig bag, tuner, strap etc., those also would be extra.

Researching in the bottom price range for acceptable mandolins, may involve taking somewhat of a chance. My inclination is always to remain within the parameters established in the initial post, which would mean a budget around $200.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty new to the mandolin, coming from guitar. My first mando was an Oscar Schmidt OM-10. Came in a box without a set-up for $110. Now, maybe I was lucky, but I did the set-up in an hour or so. The intonation was great, playability was fantastic, the tuners were easy and didn't slip -- I was very happy. Learned a lot on that mandolin. But here's the deal: while it had a spruce top, the back and sides were laminated wood. And that means there's just no volume or woody tone to be had. In a couple of months, your boyfriend will be looking for his next mando.

So, take Allen's advice. The KM-150 may be more money, but it's a mandolin that can last him for years.

If you mean to key in on these words: "so I want it to be good enough that it's not just a crappy beginner mandolin meant to be replaced in a few years... but still cheap enough for me to buy in the first place."---

Then Snag that used Kentucky that Allen linked above. As others mentioned set up is EVERYTHING and if you don't know, you wont know. Someone who knows has to have it set up for you so buying used can be good. These buggers are near impossible to learn to play if its not a decent set up. He will always be able to resell it here for close to that.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

19. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Hey, here' s a used KM250 that just popped up in the Cafe Classifieds and looks like a good deal. In Hamilton, MA, only a train ride away if the trains are actually running.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/108700#108700

First, thanks again everyone for the replies .

And thanks Allen - yeah, the mandolin starter kit for $400 I'm sure is awesome, but I don't need and can't afford a starter kit; I just need the best possible mandolin I can get for the cheapest price. I don't know if we need a gig bag since it's just going to sit in our apartment; the strings a very generous mando is going to send me (thank you!!), and everything else just seems like it'd be really nice to have but honestly not nice enough that I can justify the money. For learning, I'm just going to bookmark him youtube videos or print easy things that I find on different mandolin forums. So thanks, but really that's far too much.

The KM-150 on eBay is awesome! That's just about budget, and yeah I'll need to get it set up, but that's still going to be less. It sounds scary buying an instrument off eBay, especially from someone with only 8 reviews, but I guess they're 8 good reviews.

@mrmando (oh my goodness, how do I tag someone?), is the 250 better than the 150? I can't imagine the T working because there's a blizzard tomorrow (also, because it's the T), but I have a car. That's a great find, but as it's the same price as the 150 Allen found (though it is in better shape and has a case and maybe might not need to be set up?), which is the better instrument? This site says the 250 is better so I should get that one?

22. The following members say thank you to riceballattack for this post:

Yeah, get the used km250 !
    Ya done good.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Be aware that what you say you're looking for –– a $200 mandolin that's a "lifetime keeper" -- just may not exist. .
    It sucks, but it is true much of the time.

Some creative options:

- with a knowledgeable friend find a beat up mandolin that can be repaired for a total cost of $200.00. Could very well end up being as good as anything else for that price.

- rent a mandolin for a week to see if he is going to like it, with the birthday promise of $200 towards the keeper mandolin he eventually wants.

Just thinking out loud. Its a bind.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

25. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by riceballattack View Post
    Oh man, a tuner and a strap! I didn't even think of that. A tuner can't be hard to find super cheap from someone; my city has two music schools. Thanks for the thought! Oh man, I bet I need a pick, too? Google says guitar picks are not ideal but usable, so I'll see if I just know anyone with an extra guitar pick. Maybe for super cheap Christmas, I'll get him a real pick.

Also, mrmando you're amazing, thank you!!!

First of all, kudos on choosing an awesome present for your boyfriend, he's a lucky dude!

If he has a smart phone, don't worry about a tuner. There's a lot of apps that will work just fine. If he wants a tuner he can go buy one pretty cheap, but the phone apps will get you by for sure until you're out somewhere noisy with it.

Start with cheap picks. Generally speaking, thicker is better and you should be able to find some decent thick picks for pretty cheap at a local store. As he plays longer, his taste in picks will change from time to time so don't worry about the expensive ones until he's decided what he likes. Also consider finding the thread on here about the "Traveling Pick Sampler" which is a pack of all kinds of picks from cheap to expensive that forum members try out for a while and then send on to the next person.

You'll get plenty of advice on what mandolin might be better at this price point. But, at least for me, the first cheap mandolin wasn't all that important how it sounded as long as it played OK. It was enough for me to learn enough to decide that I wanted to keep playing and get better. As I got better, I wanted a better instrument. I went from a $100 junker to spending thousands eventually. You're giving him the first step on an exciting musical journey that will potentially involve many instruments later on. So look for a good deal, make sure the set up is already done or take it somewhere after so it's playable, but don't stress too much about it.
    Good luck!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

The one that Allen pointed to is $215 PLUS $51 for shipping, not sure what they would take on the offer? But once again you are very close to the price of a new 150 already set up and should have new issues.

I would second the used Kentucky 250 in the classifieds over the 150 on ebay, maybe he would work with you a little on price?

There is also a Kentucky 250 on ebay for a good starting price. It is missing the tailpiece cover, so if you ended up with it let me know I think I have an extra. It does not stated if it comes with a case, you might ask? It is fully bound on top, has nothing to do with sound but looks nice. It appears that it has a radiused ebony fretboard, again you might ask. They are now using cheaper wood for the fret boards and many people find a radius to be more comfortable to play.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kentucky-KM-...MAAOSwo4pYbUg9

Another 150 on ebay -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kentucky-Man...3D162426618316
    Last edited by Northwest Steve; Mar-13-2017 at 10:25am.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northwest Steve For This Useful Post:

Another vote for the KM 250. Original Hard Shell Case. Done deal for me. I've got a simple strap I'll send you for postage, probably less than $5, and I'll throw in picks too.

Depending on if your boyfriend is handy, you can get a free e book for the setup. $10 worth of tools is all you need.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Yes on the KM-250 or the new KM-150 from a forum sponsor (they will get it ready to play). Tuners are $10 bucks - heck there are free apps (pano-tuner).

I make a pig-tail braid with rawhide boot laces (72"). They look cool, the mandolin is light, so you don't need much width. The braid also adds a bit of friction, which I like. I tie the lace through the string posts rather than by the neck.

J-74 strings are what you want on an f-hole carved-top mandolin - at least for the start. Let him decide if he wants others in time. I'm sure he'll find this site, to give him endless advice - ha!

I used to buy and sell beginner's mandolins. I'd buy them from ebay, usually Ibanez, Alvarez, Yasuma, Kentucky and Aria - all made in Japan. Production of many Asian mandolins is now in China. In some cases, the quality is better now! Kentucky has always been a reliable brand and very well recognized. The KM-250 has always been a great, factory-made mandolin. I just know the KM-150 by its specs and the positive comments on this site. I have owned a few KM-180s, which are also very nice. Not sure they are still made, but they are well priced in the secondary market.

Have fun. Wonderful gift! My first mandolin was a gift and that was 50 years ago!

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

What I would strongly encourage you to do is sift the advice, then keep you eyes on the classifieds for a couple weeks.
    A preowned mandolin is the answer to the question: "How do I get a $350 mandolin for only a little over my budget of $200?"

The Kentucky KM 250, with case, that several others have mentioned for $225 including shipping:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/108700#108700
    This will be a small but noticeable step above a 150.

Compared to the Kentucky, I am less keen on a Loar-brand mandolins, but here is a Loar LM220 +case for under $200:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/108515#108515
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

32. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

Riceballattack- it was me who recommended the Elderly beginner's outfit, not Allen. Allen is a well known, knowledgeable, and frequent contributor around here. But in this instance I brought up the outfit, not him. The reason I brought it up is that it is a bargain which includes accessories most people want. So many people come on here looking for a bargain mandolin and they forget to add in the cost of the other stuff, and the set up. I don't understand the attitude that you don't need a case because it's just going to sit around the apartment. What if it gets knocked off something? Or stepped on? Or bumped against the wall going from one room to the next? How would you keep it humidified in the winter? The proper place for an instrument not being played is securely in its case, if you care about it at all. As for the other stuff, I guess if people are sending you free straps, picks, strings, tuners, etc. then you're set. But I just can't even conceive of the concept of a case-less mandolin. I would strongly recommend your re-thinking that. It's much cheaper than repairing a crack down the road.

And yes, you can save money and buy used, but then you have to get it set up. As suggested above, you can get the free e-book and try to do it yourself, but if you are totally inexperienced with such stuff your chances of success are slim. And if you decide to pay for it, you have to find someone who knows mandolins. They are not the same as little guitars. I have seen a few mandolins set up by well meaning guitar guys that really missed the mark. Guys that really know mandolins, understandably, are much harder to find than guitar guys.

Just for the record, I have no financial interest in Elderly Instruments or Saga (parent corporation of Kentucky). But also for the record, the Kentucky 150 is the only mandolin I have ever encountered for less than 400 dollars that is worth having.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

34. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Hi guys! You are all amazing. Seriously. I'm learning so much from this thread, and I appreciate every one of you!

I'm afraid that despite messaging the 250 on the classifieds that MrMando found, someone else messaged first and it's gone (I sent him a second message yesterday afternoon, and he said he never got the first one I sent! Super, super, super, super bummer). The Loar 220 Jeff found on classifieds is also gone.

I put a wanted in the classifieds, good idea! I'm a bit worried about buying a musical instrument off eBay without a return policy, but I'll watch the eBay ads (the 250 Steve linked has 6 days left at $105 currently) and keep checking classifieds. It pretty much sounds like everyone agrees a KM150 or 250 is the best call, and I'll just watch for a used one I can afford.

And Don, sorry for the names mixup. Everyone has been so amazingly helpful with their input and I lose track by the time I scroll down to reply. I know and appreciate that the $400 setup is probably the best possible thing out there for a beginner, but my boyfriend's unemployed and I'm supporting both of us as it is -- I just can't justify spending $400 if there's at all a possibility to spend half that. I'm sorry it sounds like so many people are trying to find starter mandolins for a bargain, but isn't it a great thing that so many people are interested in learning to play? . And as for the case, we're very careful people. But you're the first person who has mentioned anything about humidity, so I'll google about that. Thanks!

And Br1ck - thanks for the strap offer! But mrmando has super generously already sent me a strap and some picks.

Thanks again - you're all awesome people, and I hope you all have fantastic days.
    Last edited by riceballattack; Mar-14-2017 at 11:09am.