Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your absolute favorite F style mandolin CASE?

Default Re: What is your absolute favorite F style mandolin CASE?

If you want a case that is small, light, with very good protection, that looks very cool, for everyday use I recommend the new Collings vintage case with a Colorado case cover. My F5 fits very snug with total support for the entire neck and headstock. very limited storage compartment, good for picks and a small tuner. Mandolin will not fit in with a toneguard on, but I solved that by ditching the toneguard ( I play mostly sitting down with the back of the mando not touching my body, when standing, I tilt The headstock out and rest the very end of the body on my gut). The Colorado cover has a nice pouch for music, etc.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'm a motorcycle helmet guy. I want a mandolin case that is willing to give up its life to protect my mandolin and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace.

The ABS Gator cases have proved themselves repeatedly for my instruments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hero Gator Case.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	536.8 KB 
ID:	155378

That was the result of being launched from the back of my SUV, flying about 5 feet and hitting a cement parking curb. Mandolin was completely un-bothered.

There is room enough for tone guard, armrest, pickguard and strap.

That said, no matter what case surrounds it, I would never allow an instrument to be stowed by airline personnel in the craft's hold. Too many nightmares. I'd rather walk.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

4. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Pegasus by a long ways
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

6. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

Pegasus is my favorite. I have one I use for travel. I also have three Caltons but they are not quite as comfortable to carry.

8. The following members say thank you to Homer Savard for this post:

Don - maybe about 4 years back,a guy travelling by motor cycle had his mandolin come off the back of it. It was in a Travelite case,& the only thing it had to show for the mishap,was some dust !.The mandolin was un-damaged.
    'Hard' cases have nothing to cushion themselves with against impact & the mandolin inside will feel the impact as well. A 'softer' outside,as well as good padding inside,will be much better all round. That's why all 3 of mine would be in Travelite cases - if i could get them over here !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

10. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

mee 

[QUOTE=Ivan Kelsall;1564498]Don - maybe about 4 years back,a guy travelling by motor cycle had his mandolin come off the back of it. It was in a Travelite case,& the only thing it had to show for the mishap,was some dust !.The mandolin was un-damaged.
    'Hard' cases have nothing to cushion themselves with against impact & the mandolin inside will feel the impact as well. A 'softer' outside,as well as good padding inside,will be much better all round.QUOTE]

This is an interesting point. However my mandolin is more likely to be sat on than fly off the back of a motorcycle. How would the case and mandolin hold up if sat upon or tripped over

Mee - I own a Gator case as per.the posted pic. The top of it is pretty flexible & will depress quite a bit. I'd hate to sit on it as i think the outcome would be a disaster !. The Gator cases are fine - used properly. Realistically, NO cases are meant to be sat / stood on. Why would you even think of doing that ?. I did used to use my once owned Mark Leaf banjo case to sit on when it was resting on it's side = max strength in compression,but i'd never sit on any other make of case ever. I've had my Weber in the Gator case for 3 years now,it's travelled a bit & it's fine. Even a case such as a Calton on Hoffee case,as good as they are,subject the hinges & clasps to a strong 'side load' & they could be damaged. In such cases (no pun intended) it's the screws in the hinges that take the brunt of the force,not the case itself.

I like the Travelite cases because they are light,the outer ballistic nylon covering is as tough as h**l,the outside is padded slightly for added impact resistance, & the inside has plenty of well appointed padding. There's alo more room around the headstock scroll than in most other cases. Remember,if the case + mandolin is dropped or 'thrown',the ''force'' (mass x acceleration) with which it hits the ground is the combined force of the case + mandolin = make one lighter & there's less force & hopefully,less damage,
    Ivan

Name:	Lebeda in Travelite case..JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	155419
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

13. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Blog Entries

The ABS Gator cases are basically the foam from the case that Ivan pictured, plus a strategically loose ABS covering. That means if the covering breaks from impact as it did in my picture, you'll see air pockets in certain locations. The ABS and the air pockets tend to take the first blunt force without damaging the inner Styrofoam case. That's what happened with mine.

For better or worse, the ABS outer case is very slippery, so if it does go skidding down the road, it probably won't roll. I expect it would be more likely just to slide until it either slows to a stop or hits something.

And no, I wouldn't recommend sitting on any mandolin case if you care about the mandolin inside, and also I wouldn't put anything on it heavier than a mandolin. I have cats, a few which are upwards of 20 pounds heavy. When I have my mandolin in its case out on a table, I typically put a Kleenex box on the case to keep any cats from sitting on it, which they otherwise love to do.

What is it about cats and anything that they can sit on, on a table?
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Mee - I own a Gator case as per.the posted pic. The top of it is pretty flexible & will depress quite a bit. I'd hate to sit on it as i think the outcome would be a disaster !. The Gator cases are fine - used properly. Realistically, NO cases are meant to be sat / stood on. Why would you even think of doing that ?. I did used to use my once owned Mark Leaf banjo case to sit on when it was resting on it's side = max strength in compression,but i'd never sit on any other make of case ever.
    I've never sat on my Pegasus case but I think it could handle it.

What I have done, is use it as a footrest when nothing else was available, which is something I'd be reluctant to do with a Travelite or similar hard foam case. I used a Travelite for a while, and finally gave it up in favor of the hardshell fiberglass type because I didn't like how compressible the top was.

The one big risk with a heavier, hardshell case is falling from a height, where foam should (theoretically) do better. That will never happen with my Pegasus because it's always either in my hand, or set on the floor when the mandolin is inside it. On the floor, it might be accidentally kicked by someone, or someone could fall on it, or set a heavy guitar case on top of it, or the load could shift in the back of my car where I'm hauling PA equipment with the case on top. With the Pegasus, I just don't worry about any of those scenarios because the case can handle it.

A week ago I was at a Scottish/Irish session at a restaurant. After the session we had dinner there, so the mandolin was in the case. The place was packed with people, room was tight. The only place I could find to store the case while we had dinner was next to the wall, about 3 feet behind someone else's chair. There was a very small risk the person sitting there would slide the chair back and hit the case, but thick fiberglass and interior cushioning is made to handle that. I wouldn't have put a Travelite foam case there. I guess I would have had to hold it in my lap, while eating dinner.

Anyway, we all have different situations where we're traveling and using cases. It's just a question of how you judge the likely risk, vs. all the cost and convenience factors.

Mee - I own a Gator case as per.the posted pic. The top of it is pretty flexible & will depress quite a bit. I'd hate to sit on it as i think the outcome would be a disaster !. The Gator cases are fine - used properly. Realistically, NO cases are meant to be sat / stood on. Why would you even think of doing that ?. I did used to use my once owned Mark Leaf banjo case to sit on when it was resting on it's side = max strength in compression,but i'd never sit on any other make of case ever. I've had my Weber in the Gator case for 3 years now,it's travelled a bit & it's fine. Even a case such as a Calton on Hoffee case,as good as they are,subject the hinges & clasps to a strong 'side load' & they could be damaged. In such cases (no pun intended) it's the screws in the hinges that take the brunt of the force,not the case itself.
    Just to clear the air, I would never be sitting on my case. However I was saying that it would have more of a chance to be sat upon (accidently) or tripped over (accidently) than flying off a motorcycle. I often have the case and enclosed mandolin sitting on a front church pew in front of me. I keep close watch but it could happen some careless person backing up and sitting without looking. Not likely, but more likely than the motorcycle mishap because I do not have a motorcycle and no intention of one.

Mee - I was really thinking more of the Hiscox case ad.that shows a bunch of guys standing on a guitar case. Such ads.a a bit silly IMHO. Anyway - any case,used sensibly will protect our mandolins in most normal circumstances,so we try to avoid 'extremes'.
    I've had a Travelite case for 10 years now with one mandolin or another inside it,currently my Ellis,& they've been perfectly protected. Ultimately,their safety is my responsibility.

Foldedpath summed it up :- " It's just a question of how you judge the likely risk, vs. all the cost and convenience factors...."
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

My absolute favorite case was this custom rectangular Calton that Blondie lived in. That one has a new home, but I still rely on Calton cases to protect my instruments.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...t=blondie+case

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Seale For This Useful Post:

meesgarrity 

The Travelite case do have a wooden 'former' inside of which the main foam casing sits. It has to,you can't screw the hinge screws into foam. You'd have to exert one heck of a force to squash a Travelite case to the point where the mandolin would be damaged,& would we ever put our mandolions in ANY case in such jepardy ?. Apparently Mike Marshall still uses a Travelite case for his Loar,so he at least must trust them,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

22. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

mee 

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I ended up going more compact TKL shaped, easier to keep at my feet at all times. As many of you have said, it's all about how I take care that it is kept safe.

Name:	IMG_5939.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	155993

Morgan Music sell the TKL Rect.cases :- http://www.morganmusic.com/mandocase...tegory=5082126

If all else fails,contact TKL - 'somebody' must be selling what they make !. http://www.tkl.com/?siteid=contact. They are a terrific case & having once owned a Hiscox mandolin case,i can say that it was almost as heavy as my TKL case & bulkier !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

my favourite is anything cheap strong and light that fits my mandolin preferably can be put on my back. I don't travel far after all.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

26. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

I have a Price case for my Weber. It is overbuilt, but has protected my axe from trundles out of the van, and having gear squash it when things shift around. When I have to schlep it a long way, I wish there was a roadie.
    Waiting on delivery of a Northfield Airloom with my Ratliff...review to follow.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

28. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

From Badger - "..my favourite is anything cheap ..." We know that,we know that !!!.

Seriously Rob,the Travelites are exactly that - inexpensive,very protective & if you use one with 2 straps,the weight vanishes !.
    The moulded ABS Gator case is pretty light & comfy to carry using one shoulder strap
    as well,
    Ivan

Name:	Case & straps.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	156046
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

30. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I like the Travelite cases because they are light,the outer ballistic nylon covering is as tough as h**l,the outside is padded slightly for added impact resistance, & the inside has plenty of well appointed padding. There's alo more room around the headstock scroll than in most other cases. Remember,if the case + mandolin is dropped or 'thrown',the ''force'' (mass x acceleration) with which it hits the ground is the combined force of the case + mandolin = make one lighter & there's less force & hopefully,less damage,
    Ivan

Name:	Lebeda in Travelite case..JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	155419
    I have a travelite case and I like a lot of things about it too... but it is a very cheaply made case. The snap latch is attached to the case by two pointed prongs that are just stabbed into the foam of the case. It can come off pretty easily and the zippers aren't the greatest either. That being said it does seem to protect ok, is very light and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Usually if I want real protection I take something else.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Hi Wizard - I'd agree - to a point. Yes,the Travelites aren't overburdened with high cost 'anythings',but certainly on my case,what's there works - after a couple of adjustments.

I posted a thread on this quite a while back,but behind the zipper,there's a strip of very frayable gauze-like material. It had frayed on mine so much that the threads were getting caught in the zipper. I removed the outer covering attachment screws (they screw into the wooden 'former') & pulled it down. I removed the frayed strip (what it's there for is anybody's guess !!) & the zipper now works 100%.

As for the front catch - the bottom part on my case was fine,but the top part was a tad wobbly. I removed it & then glued it in using epoxy cement & it's rock solid. Other than those 2 things,it's worked perfectly well & it's still my 'playing out' case for any mandolin i might decide to take.

The most serious problem with the Travelite cases is that they aren't available in the UK or (as far as i know)Europe,
    Ivan

Name:	DSCF0026.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	156154
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

33. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I know a mandolin picker that keeps his swanky mando in a gig bag, much less safety than the travelite. I personally enjoy the peace of mind of knowing my mando is locked away in its vault(Price teardrop). Rain, snow, falling down stairs, feral dog attack...no problem. Plus it keeps my biceps ripped and pumped up when I show up to gigs
    You can't plaster a travelite with stickers! What do you do with beer stickers and randy sayings about naked snowboarding adding color to your cheeks?

Are there any members who have case failure or succes mando horror stories?
    I had a fiddle saved by my Boebolk fiberglass case...we were gigging in Jackson Hole WY in the winter. While waiting for gig time, relaxing in our hotel, the neighboring room had a pipe burst, I discovered my case literally floating. Glad it was clean water not sewage!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

The Bobelock cases served me well for mandolins and fiddles. Had a few of the Eastman fiberglass cases however as others have said they were short on storage space. Anyone ever try a case cover for one of those Eastman cases? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

This one is probably a good deal, I have one empty in the closet, like it.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110008#110008

instead I put it(my only F) in a Pegasus, shaped , adequate storage..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Those Prestos are nice. Not too heavy, adequate storage and stickers love em. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Blog Entries

Prestos. Yes. Good case.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.