Thread: Another trip to Carter's

Default Another trip to Carter's

Was putting an instrument up for consignment and had some set-up work for my GOM so had a chance to spend some time perusing the front room (where the higher end is located). I did not play the lovely Loars housed there, but had full access to most else. The Gilchrist H5C that I was so in love with at my last visit was sold to no surprise. That was a tone monster. There were a great number of really great sounding instruments. There was a Gil F5, Duff F5, Mowry F5, Stadler F5, Ellis F5, Gibson F5s and Red Diamond F5 that were all about the same superior tonal quality. There was a new Heiden F5 that was a solid step in front of all of them. That was a simply awesome instrument. After playing the Heiden, there was no point in going back to the others. Of the CBOMs in the front room the Gilchrist Octave 5 was the clear tone winner, with the Tim May a close second (given the large price difference, the Tim May can be seen a great deal).
    As usual Walter and Christie Carter were gracious and welcoming. All the staff are great to work with. Carter's is my go to place for acoustic instruments (NFI) in Nashville and today they demonstrated why.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Another trip to Carter's

Thanks for the report. There is nothing like report from someone who has actually played everything.

There's no Gilchrist Model 5 Octave on the Carter website. Only a Model 3 with a funky headstock. Sure it's for sale? And that new Heiden is getting up to the price for Gils, Dudes, Nuggets, Monteleones--which some people may say is long overdue.

Heidens please my ears too.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

blauserk quote - There's no Gilchrist Model 5 Octave on the Carter website. Only a Model 3 with a funky headstock. Sure it's for sale? [/QUOTE]

You are correct. But, I checked with Carters, it is a Gilchrist Model 4 (oval, duh me) and is new to the store and is not yet on the website. Nice catch blauserk.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by blauserk View Post
    .......And that new Heiden is getting up to the price for Gils, Dudes, Nuggets, Monteleones--which some people may say is long overdue.
    Heiden definitely deserves to be listed among that group in my not so unbiased opinion!