Thread: Cumberland Acoustic options

Default Cumberland Acoustic options

I'm looking at ordering a CA bridge for my Eastman. I'm not sure if I want one with feet or one that touches all the way across. I'm leaning toward full contact, but only because in a Mike Marshall interview, he said he uses that on Sam Bush's recommendation.

What do you guys think?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Cumberland Acoustic options

Steve just put a full contact bridge on my Weber Bitteroot, and it sounds awesome. He fit the bridge base perfectly to the top of my Weber, which has a pretty high arch. I'm really glad I had him do the work, as I had thought about installing it myself. It takes more experience and equipment to fit a full contact bridge, and you want it done right. My recommendation would be to either ship your mando to Steve, or make the drive to Nashville and deliver it in-person. If you make arrangements with Steve ahead of time, he can probably do the install/setup same day. That's what he did for me. Great guy! I won't be letting anyone else work on my Weber.

3. The following members say thank you to itstooloudMike for this post:

Having seen the impact of two foot bridges on the Eastman line, and having fitted quite a few long foot versions, I'd go with the long foot. Go see Steve if reasonable, he's fun!!
    Stephen Perry

5. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

What do you mean by impact?

I was planning on getting the CA bridge fitting tool, as well. I'd like to try fitting it myself.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I used to have a two foot bridge on my mandolin, but I started to develop a dimple in the top on the inside of the treble foot.
    I bought a full contact Cumberland to even out the pressure, and the dimple went away.

I actually like the sound now with the full contact better too.
    Seems to have a slightly more full sound.
    Regardless of which you buy, a Cumberland is an awesome bridge.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

8. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Smile Re: Cumberland Acoustic options

Have 2 90+ year old Gibbys, one, 'A' full contact aluminum top, and A4, a 2 footed type , ebony bridge, upper and lower..

Bought a Walrus tusk Ivory upper for the A4, so then
    tried the Ebony on the brown A, instead of the aluminum one..

it made absolutely no difference, sounded the same..

But I attribute the sound difference to more than the bridge base.. YMMV.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

10. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    it made absolutely no difference, sounded the same..

But I attribute the sound difference to more than the bridge base.. YMMV.
    I'm not trying to treat one aspect of the instrument like it's the final say in tone. I've played and tweaked electric guitars for several decades, so I know some modifications have more impact than others. Aside from an armrest, this is my first mando upgrade, so I don't know if the bridge base is more like swapping pickups, or changing the saddles.

I also know that this won't make me sound like Mike Marshall or Sam Bush, or anyone but me, regardless of what I do

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post

I was planning on getting the CA bridge fitting tool, as well. I'd like to try fitting it myself.
    Impact on top is often imprinting and distortion from 2 feet.
    Stephen Perry

13. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

You don't need the bridge fitting tool if you sand the base from side to side - it works very well. Remove the saddle as well to keep the base from tilting over while you sand it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

15. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post

I was also thinking about fitting my own bridge. I do all my own setup work on electric guitars, and have done a fair amount of woodworking. But fitting a full contact bridge on a mandolin with a highly arched top is a project best left to someone with lots of experience. I am extremely glad I had Steve fit mine. He has the equipment and knowledge to do the job perfectly. From watching him, I would say that what he accomplished in three hours would have taken me several days of hand sanding. And I'm sure the results would have been inferior to what Steve did. He also did a complete setup, which included leveling a few high frets and adjusting the truss rod. My Bitteroot has never played or sounded better. I am really glad I decided to let a pro do the work for me.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itstooloudMike For This Useful Post:

I fitted a CA bridge to a 'once owned' mandolin less than 12 months after starting to play = i knew nothing re.how to do it. I used some common sense,sanded it from side to side to prevent any rocking back & forth & it fitted perfectly. I also had to radius the saddle & re-cut the string slots because the only one in stock had a straight saddle. Fitting it took about 4 hours from start to finish.

There really is no mystery in fitting a bridge if you think each step through. At the time,i knew of nobody who could do it for me anyway. However,if your mandolin requires 'additional work',then somebody such as Steve Smith would be a good person to have it done by. For me,fitting a bridge is 'doable' - the rest ain't !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

19. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I have experience doing setups on other instruments - new to mandolin. I fitted a cheap, stock bridge and I thought it sounded better. Then I bought a second mando (used) that had a CA bridge on it and it sounded a lot better (who knows - many things besides the bridge). But I used the better sounding one as a benchmark and went back to the first mando and refit the bridge a little better this time - and then compared again and the first mando sounded closer but still not as good. Then I read more and more about fitting the feet and went back and fitted it again.

I must have fitted that bridge 5-6 times and learned a great deal each time. And the first mando ended up sounding better than the second one once I got the bridge feet really fitting right. So then the first mando became my benchmark and I re-fitted the CA bridge on the second mando (using what I'd learned) and now the second one is the best sounding again but they are very close now and I'm leaving them alone. I also found they change a little (get better) over the first few days after you fit them - I suspect the wood is deforming a bit under pressure.

anyway ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyPanda For This Useful Post:

I have a CA bridge on my Eastman. I fit it myself using the fitting tool I purchased from CA at the same time. I wanted to be absolutely sure my assumptions on using the tool were correct so I asked Steve for detailed instructions and tips - which he promptly sent to me. Steve was a huge help during the process, and overall very supportive (just an email away and quick to reply).

As for full contact vs feet... I had this discussion with Steve but it's difficult to say which is better without hearing both first-hand. Mine is full contact and sounds good...better than the footed stock bridge. But that's an unfair comparison given the CA bridge is leagues better in quality anyway. Either one would be an improvement over stock I'm sure, so pick the one you'd most like to try...

23. The following members say thank you to Kalasinar for this post:

Independent of whether you choose to fit a bridge by sanding it "back-to-front" (parallel to the strings) or "side-to-side" (perpendicular to the strings), you need to realize that this procedure only works perfectly if the shape of the top arch in the region of the bridge is spherical (or cylindrical; see below). This is a geometrical fact. To understand why this is so, consider what would happen if the top had a fairly pronounced ridge in it (a "V") running right down the middle from front to back, for example. (Yes, most mandolins don't have this "V" ridge, thankfully, but imagine that they did for the purpose of this illustration). In this case, then moving the bridge off the ridge as you sanded side-to-side would sand away any V, as you encountered the flatter regions on either side during sanding. You would get a bad fit. However, if you sanded instead front-to-back, then you would preserve the V, and get a good fit. On the other hand, if the V in the top arch ran transversely, instead of longitudinally, then the situation would be exactly reversed, and the best direction to sand would be side-to-side!

The ONLY geometrical shape for the top that guarantees a perfect fit regardless of the direction you displace the bridge during sanding is a sphere. And the only two shapes that work for back-to-front sanding are (1) a sphere or (2) a cylinder (but more strictly, an arch with mirror symmetry on one axis), whose long axis runs back to front. And likewise, a cylinder with its long axis transverse to the fretboard works for side-to side sanding.

So, when you sand under a bridge (in either direction), whether you realize it or not, you're implicitly assuming the local curvature of the top is approximating a spherical section or, depending on the sanding direction, as a particular cylindrical section. This approximation works best when you move as little as possible from the final position of the bridge when sanding, that is, when you use the smallest possible strokes during sanding.

All else being equal, the mandolin tops on F4's and F5's, in the bridge region, more closely resemble either spheres or cylinders with their long axes parallel to the fretboard. For this reason, it makes much more sense to always sand back-to-front, and not side-to-side. Of course, if the region right under the bridge is more-or-less spherical, it won't matter which way you sand! It also won't matter (much) if the strokes are small enough, so that the local curvature doesn't change much over the sanding region. But all else being equal, these considerations would seem to imply that one should generally sand front-to-back, and not side-to-side, when seeking the best possible fit. And use small strokes. Incidentally, back-to-front sanding motion is what the bridge-fitting jigs from both Stew-Mac and Cumberland Acoustic are designed to support -- not side-to-side.
    Last edited by sblock; Mar-06-2017 at 3:55pm.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Just sanding doesn't accommodate load deformation of top or bridge. Something to consider.
    Stephen Perry

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Perry For This Useful Post:

Had full-contact CA on my old Eastman. My Collings came with one too. Full-contacts just look better to my eye. YMMV.

29. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post: