Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How scrutinizing are you of other builders' work?

Default Re: How scrutinizing are you of other builders' work?

went thru this post and finally came to the one I had hoped for.. thanks John for voicing what I feel.. to me, hand made means made by hand.. I couldn't stand in the same line as most of you builders, but building is just as important to me.. I will make mistakes but I will learn from them and I will continue.. go ahead and proof read my mistakes. the spelling may not be perfect but my heart is truly "in the build".................
    kterry

2. The following members say thank you to buckhorn for this post:

Spruce 

Well I assumed a topic like this might take a slight downward turn, and become the slippery slope, so before that happens, please re-read my post. There is no criticism of others work. Rather, I said that it is refreshing to see mistakes in other's work because, it does two things, shows me that no matter how long I am building, mistakes will happen, and secondly, teaches me how others handle those mistakes.

So, I just wanted to redirect the intent because I sense it had started taking on the wrong premise. When I start to see people say, well how it sounds is more important... Full stop - that isn't a valid counter argument to the topic.

I must have different eyes. I don't notice "mistakes" particularly. I am immediately drawn to line and shape, especially the arching and what I can tell of graduation and barring. Any systematic stuff applied to the plate.

The playing characteristics. Setup. Especially setup.

I learned much of what I know about violin setup from examining stuff coming out of the big Chicago shops in as much intensity as I could bring to bear.

The imperfections aren't of concern.
    Stephen Perry

5. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

And no one said mistakes are a concern. Stephen, I certainly hope there are mistakes in your work, but what intrigues me is how you correct and/or mask them. That's the value of mistakes.

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

As my A5 is nearing completion, my wife asks me "how much are you going to ask for it? You're selling it, right?"...

I could hardly contain my laughter... I started pointing out all the flaws, major and minor along with the reasons why this instrument will remain in my possession from now on. She rolls her eyes says "it looks pretty good to me". I've always been my own toughest critic but the way I see it, there's value in that. As I said in a previous post, just about everyone's work that I see provides some level of education/inspiration... Not because they're all perfect (although some are as close as you can humanly get) but precisely because they AREN'T perfect. Cosmetic imperfections (wabi sabi) are acceptable if they aren't excessive but structural/alignment errors are more serious, in my view. I have a long way to go but I'm enjoying the trip thoroughly... Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to help me along and provide inspiration.
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

I should add that the most important bit of scrutiny for me is the sound. If the sound is lacking in some major way, the instrument doesn't get much additional scrutiny from me unless it is a repair or there is something that pops visually. Why study it if it doesn't sound great? I am working to pay more attention to the visual elements because it seems that most buyers talk about sound but buy based on visual. Presently, the ears and the hands still do the most scrutinizing for me.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Pete Brown

As an aspiring builder (just how much longer can I claim to be an "aspiring" builder?), I know that I'm my own worst critic when it comes to fit and finish issues with my own instruments. This is a lifelong affliction, and I do sometimes wonder just how unrealistic my personal standards are in this regard.

So, while I hold the same high regard as others do for our most revered builders, I'm quietly relieved when I spot some flaw or other in their work. I don't feel smug about it, but it's a useful reminder that perfection - even for those widely regarded as being at the top of their game - is unachievable, at least on a consistent basis. It brings me some peace of mind when I contemplate my own less-than-perfect efforts, and allows me to recalibrate my personal expectations.
    Last edited by Pete Brown; Mar-08-2017 at 2:10am.
    Cheers
    Pete