Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone tried a Planet Waves NS micro tuner?

Default Re: Anyone tried a Planet Waves NS micro tuner?

The only thing I've really thought about mine was to wonder if or how they could make them even smaller than this. I wouldn't even consider using something bigger. Some of those tuners remind me of giant hideous tentacle eyes, like it would be staring at me while I was playing. LOL

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I ordered a couple of them as well. Nice tuners. Small, and with the inverting display they're better than my old one. My only complaint is that there is something that sounds like a loose spring that rattles faintly. Not noticeable most of the time, but in a quiet room it is annoying enough that I have to pull the tuner off the headstock.

I have the universal clip on and some of the violin tuners and they work fine. I bought one of the acoustic guitar soundhole tuners and that one seemed like a good idea but it fell into the soundhole a few times and I had to fish it out. I am not fond of keeping the tuner on a fine instrument all the time but it makes little sense to take it off and on especially in a gig situation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've got one on each of my normal gigging instruments -- guitar, banjo, taropatch ukulele, and mandolin (Strad-O-Lin). Only ongoing problem is that on some more "tapered" headstocks (e.g. Sobell mandola), they've fallen off, and the batteries popped out when the compartment opened. Good news is that I slid the batteries back in, stuck 'em back on the headstocks, no harm no foul.

So props for small size, readable display, and affordable price. Accuracy? Well, comparable to my red Snarks, so acceptable by my somewhat undemanding standards. Main area in which they're inferior to the Snarks is that there's no microphone, so I can't use 'em for instruments like Autoharp where clip-on attachment's more difficult.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I don't know if anyone has tried the new guitar soundhole edition of this tuner, which clips onto the lip of your soundhole and reads vibrations from the top. Supposed to be more accurate than the headstock version, but mine has been pretty finicky. Of everything I've used, the PolyTune clip on headstock tuner has been the easiest to use and most accurate, IMO

Absolutely love mine. Just picked it up the other week while i was at Carters in Nashville. It replaced a Snark and for the mandolin its perfect cus its small and unobtrusive. Stays attached to my main mando at all times. Hardly notice its there till you need it.
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns
    pre-war German "Stradivarius" violin