Thread: Raffaele Calace in Tablature, 3 Volumes

Default Raffaele Calace in Tablature, 3 Volumes

This forum has been a tremendous resource for me over the years. Since I never learned to read music fluently, I've always had to take the time to convert pieces over to tablature. They were made freely available to me so I've taken many of my favorites and compiled them into 3 volumes, each around 20 pages.

Calace's music has forever changed the way I view and play the mandolin. Daily morning coffee and mandolin will never be the same. I hope these tablatures will assist others in finding the enjoyment that I have.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixitft0my2...e%201.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6rs8suwen...e%202.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzaxx3hb3t...e%203.pdf?dl=0

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to minuteman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Raffaele Calace in Tablature, 3 Volumes

It is truly wonderful that you converted all this music to TAB. However, I am curious. I would guess that this took quite a bit of time and you obviously have some capability (as you say) to read notation. It would seem that will all the time you spent you could have improved your notation reading to the same level of your playing from TAB. I never was big on TAB and it did take me some time to read notation more fluently but I am a much better reader after many years of playing through many music manuscripts.

Not to be critical at all but I am just curious since you are obviously a good musician to play these pieces.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It is truly wonderful that you converted all this music to TAB. However, I am curious. I would guess that this took quite a bit of time and you obviously have some capability (as you say) to read notation. It would seem that will all the time you spent you could have improved your notation reading to the same level of your playing from TAB. I never was big on TAB and it did take me some time to read notation more fluently but I am a much better reader after many years of playing through many music manuscripts.

Not to be critical at all but I am just curious since you are obviously a good musician to play these pieces.
    I can read natural notation in the first position well, but I use tablature as a cheat sheet for positions further up the neck, notes on finger position and key changes. So I read them together and glance up/down as needed for the piece.

And it's fun, I enjoy doing it and making it my own.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minuteman For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Raffaele Calace in Tablature, 3 Volumes

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    This forum has been a tremendous resource for me over the years. Since I never learned to read music fluently, I've always had to take the time to convert pieces over to tablature. They were made freely available to me so I've taken many of my favorites and compiled them into 3 volumes, each around 20 pages.

Calace's music has forever changed the way I view and play the mandolin. Daily morning coffee and mandolin will never be the same. I hope these tablatures will assist others in finding the enjoyment that I have.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixitft0my2...e%201.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6rs8suwen...e%202.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzaxx3hb3t...e%203.pdf?dl=0

This is great work.

Thank you soo much

8. The following members say thank you to Abhilash Nambiar for this post:

MLT 

I'm late to this post, but what to say: Thanks! Can't get enough Calace!

You put a lot of work into this, thank you; I am a note reader (I got degrees and stuff) but every now and then I can't figure out the best way to finger a passage or a chord, and your posting the tab under the notation will help me there. Right now working on Piccola Serenata--don't see that in your collection.
    Since I don't really read tab and I taught music theory, I am biased. But I always wonder if tab readers "get" the relationships between and among notes, chords, key changes, etc. On the surface, it looks like "put your finger here," but as a choral director I did some great music from oral traditions without notation, so I am open to be enlightened by some good tabbers.... Tabbists? tabulaturists? tabilluminati?
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

My two cents to respond to Jim's question: By way of background, I taught myself to play long ago reading tab, have taught myself a fair amount of theory over the years, and have also learned to read standard notation pretty well by now, although I still read tab faster. Carefully tabbed music can include all of the subtle details presented in standard notation; there is really no intrinsic superiority to standard notation other than it is not instrument-specific (which is a big advantage in the wide world, but this discussion is limited to mandolin players!). Regarding "getting" the relationships, the theory doesn't change if your reading tab or notation. Some people get it and some don't. Beginners are more likely to read tab, and advanced players more likely to read notation, and those with formal training are more likely to read notation, so I think people tend to ascribe a greater musical understanding to notation readers. On average that may be true, but its not necessarily the ability to read standard notation that gives it to them. I've played with plenty of talented players who read standard notation very well and have had formal training who, for example, simply call the key of A "three sharps" because their playing is largely confined to reading melodies, and the chordal/harmonic implications of playing in A really don't matter or mean much to them - they just read the notes on the page and they need to remind themselves where the sharps are to avoid the clam notes. It's just another form of "put your finger here" to them.

And to the original poster- thanks for the Calace! I printed it out some time ago and have enjoyed it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morgan For This Useful Post: