Thread: Not mandolin, but someone here should know....

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Not mandolin, but someone here should know....

We saw We Banjo 3 the other night. By all means go see them if they come anywhere near you. One of the guys even played mandolin (with Tone Gard FWIW )
    They don't have a bass player, but at times I could clearly hear bass lines. I noticed that they coincided with the acoustic guitar player's fingering of the low strings. I couldn't help noticing also that he had two amplifier cords coming out of the guitar. How did that work? It was quite effective.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: Not mandolin, but someone here should know....

The cleanest way to do it is with a hex pickup in the saddle, taking the bottom two (or whatever) strings out to something like a Roland VG series processor and pitch shift down an octave. Or split out the signals and run to two different octaver pedals.

But there is another quick 'n dirty way that's been around for years. On a pickup (or mic) equipped guitar, you add a second pickup -- a slim humbucker like a Fishman Rare Earth -- and turn it sideways in the sound hole, so it's just under the bass strings. Then feed that signal out to an octave pedal to kick it down. it's just a low reinforcement that can sound pretty neat. It was an occasional fad among the old New Age fingerstyle crowd.

I tried it myself at one time, but was never happy with glitching from the octave pedal. I had a couple of electric guitars with RMC hex pickups feeding a Roland VG-88, and that was much cleaner for octave reinforcement on the low strings. But the sideways humbucker idea is easier than a full hex pickup installation.

Here's a video with a guitar player using the sideways pickup for bass reinforcement. He starts with it turned off, then kicks it in around the 1:20 mark for the rest of the clip:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

IMHO, the perception of bass-vs-treble can be highly subjective.

Consider that:
    - Most fretted instruments have a 3 1/2 octave range.
    - Bass instruments (voil or guitar) are tuned only ONE octave lower than guitar (two lower than mandolin). That's out of the 8 or so octaves that older human ears can hear.
    - Bass players spend a fair amount of time playing above their lowest octave (maybe not so much the BG ones, but...).

So it shouldn't be too surprising that a guitar can "sound" like a bass even without resorting to specialized hardware.

Two cases in point:
    - In a local Italian music quartet, my buddy simply turns up the mixer EQ's "bass" for his pickup-equipped, and mostly finger-picked, nylon-string classical to get a pretty convincing bass sound.
    - In a recent jam with three mandolins, one banjo, and a good-ol' bluegrass flute (lots of treble!), I took to playing some fully adequate thumb-picked "bass" on my (yes, bass-heavy) D-35, much to the agreement of all.

Given the subjective nature, and especially against a treble environment such as the OP describes, "bass" on guitar isn't too much of a stretch, IMHO.
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Feb-19-2017 at 1:37pm.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Cool effect, thanks for the vid!

We used to do that for a couple of years in a blues band I was in. Lost the bass player, had two guitar players so they switched off when one was playing lead the other bass lines. One with an octave pedal, the other just into a second bass amp. Worked well, we had a bass player in the audience one night come up and want to know how we had bass with no bass player. Wow just thinking about that, it was about 18 years ago. How time flies.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I saw them last year. The guitar player has a sound hole pickup, turned sideways to pick up the low string and it feeds an octave pedal separate from the main pickup.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Thanks Tim-- that makes perfect sense. BTW- the fiddle player occasionally provided drum sounds courtesy of his right leg stomping on some sort of pedal.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Enda Scahill (tenor banjo) is one of the very best Irish TB players. I would love to hear that band some day.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1