Thread: Tone Guard with Calton Case

Default Tone Guard with Calton Case

I have an Austin Calton case. I want to add a ToneGuard to my Northfield. I am wondering if I would have problems fitting into the case. Does anyone have any experience with this combination?
    Northfield Big Mon #274
    Loar 520 VS
    Kala UBass
    Blueridge BR 40T
    Eastman MDO 305 Octave

Default Re: Tone Guard with Calton Case

Sorry - can't answer your question regarding fitting your Tone Gard-equipped Northfield into your Carlton case. What I can say is that having a TG attached will add approx 1" (ish) to the depth of the mandolin.

Do you have any local picker friends who have a TG? If so, you could always ask to try one for a couple of minutes just to see if it'll fit.

I must say that TG's are a wonderful thing! They add volume, tone, resonance and generally beef the tone up. You can get an idea of how they work by playing your mandolin so that it's back doesn't touch your chest or stomach.

I have a Collings and a Collings case. I called the pickgard maker and he advised me that it would NOT fit in the case with the tonegard. So, I would advise you to go directly to the source. He has made the guards for all sorts of mandolins and will know about yours.

I only have other combinations, Not, that exact pairing, of yours.

The lining feel like is is soft enough, to give way. ?

I have an older Cal, came with my A50/converted to an Em 150 , that lining seems forgiving..

TG on my Lebeda in a Pegasus Works fine.. as does the one on my '22 F4, in its Original case.

These are both old round wire TG .....some how I think the newer ones fit closer to the back..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have a Duff F-5 with ToneGard that fits great into a new recent Calton. An Ellis A5 was slightly wider, and altho it fit snugly with good clearance in the front, would occasionally pull off the ToneGard when I removed the mandolin. I was worried about pressure on the bridge in a standard plywood Canadian-type case. It now resides in an Eastman FG case, with no clearance issues (but I'm not about to check it into luggage on any airline flight). Hope this info helps.