Thread: Hats off to Barbera Transducer pickups!

Default Hats off to Barbera Transducer pickups!

Hi all. I hade a Barbera Trabnsducer pickup installed on a EastmanAR 610 today, and wanted to tell the world that they are worth every penny. I sent him my wooden bridge, and he made a duplicate the same size, with one of his 6 string transducers built it. Prior to that, it had K and K archtop pickups under the soundboard. I have nothing against K and K in general, I have them on a mandolin and mandola, and they work. They just had too much of a mid rangy sound on this guitar that even with an assortment of pre amps, different amps, I couldn’t get a sound i liked to play out. Acoustically it’s a great archtop, and plays well. I tried a schertler DynG, which works great on other instruments, but didnt help this. I tried the AT clip on mikes, and they fell short on ease of use and volume issues . Didn’t want to go with a Dearmond as it didnt have the acoustic sound i wanted. The fishman archtop pickups i heard sounded thin, so i dropped the cash and got a Barbera. After install its now a guitar that will leave the house. No more couch playing, its going to gigs. Through my schertler amps it sounds pristine. No preamp other than the schertler. Works very well with dynamics, from soft to bang it hard, its clean. No more of the percussive sounds every time my fingers touch the top. I do use the top for percussion at times, but with the k and k, everything you look at the top, its percussive.

So , short story made long, i searched high and low for acoustic archtop options, and not many great reviews ona product that worked, except for his. I will vouch for that. If your on the fence and need to amplify a acoustic archtop, dont hesitate. He also makes pickups for violins, up right bass and even regular saddle pickups for most acoustic electric guitars. He was a pleasure to work with, answered all my questions and did a great job.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Default Re: Hats off to Barbera Transducer pickups!

That's all fine and dandy but they don't make one for a mandolin.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

3. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Yet.

bass player gone mando

Some years ago I played upright bass with Rich Barbera in an informal jazz trio (Rich plays violins, more on that) along with a piano player, and we occasionally had a drummer as well. Wasn't a gigging thing, just a jazz workout once a month or so, lasted about a year. His transducer pickups on his violins sounded totally amazing. He had a couple of fiddles - I forget the difference but I think one was standard tuning and the other a 5-string or an alto tuning, can't remember which. Besides being an inventor, he's a good musician. His pickups are great but they're not a standard item, as the original post indicates he basically builds a new bridge with the transducer in it. That said, if he ever gets into mandos, I'd be interested. I have no doubt your archtop sounds great.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

While I can't speak to these particular pickups. Pickups in the saddle, or under the saddle, sound the same no matter what instrument they are on. It may be good, but you can put it on a 2X4 and it will sound the same. Under the soundboard pickups generally have the sound of the instrument and vary with instrument. Yes, they do feedback easier, but usually have a quality of sound that is better. I would be interested in hearing these pickups, especially on different instruments.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    While I can't speak to these particular pickups. Pickups in the saddle, or under the saddle, sound the same no matter what instrument they are on. It may be good, but you can put it on a 2X4 and it will sound the same. Under the soundboard pickups generally have the sound of the instrument and vary with instrument. Yes, they do feedback easier, but usually have a quality of sound that is better. I would be interested in hearing these pickups, especially on different instruments.
    I was curious, too, so I looked up the demos. Obviously YT demos don't tell all. But they do show something.

Sounds pretty piezo-y to me. Not too impressed from this demo.
    Well, I mean, I'm impressed by the playing... Not impressed with the Takamine tone from the Bourgeois guitar, though.

There are a few mandolins with Barbara bridge pickups. Luthier John Knutson has installed at least four, I have one of his mandolins with a Barbera pickup fitted to a Cumberland Acoustic bridge and am happy with it.

I am inquiring to one myself.