Thread: Where to find J Bovier

Default Where to find J Bovier

Long time lurker here. I've been thinking about upgrading my Michael Kelly A Solid for a while and keep seeing good things about J Bovier around here but I can't seem to find anyone who sells them. Unfortunately, here in western CT no one really stocks anything but Fender, Epiphone and Ibanez, so the internet is my only option. One store has Seagull mandos but not so sure about those. No A/Bing before I buy anything else, which I hate the sound of. I'm looking in the $700 price range and the J Bovier A5 Special seems like it can be had around there, if you can find one.

On another note, is the Special worth another few hundred dollars over the A-5 Traditional?

Default Re: Where to find J Bovier

I thought Jackie Bouvier married JFK.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I think they are only available directly from Jeff now.
    http://jbovier.net/
    I think he only has one model of A5 these days, though you can get different top finishes.
    Sunburst or Black
    http://mandolins.ecrater.com/p/16368...er-w-black-top

If you're looking for the A5-S or A5-T, you'll need to look at used ones.
    Give him a call though. Never know what might be in stock.

There was a used one in the classifieds recently...not sure if it sold or not?

I had the same problem. You can wait for used J Boviers to turn up in the classifieds here - but, in a testament to the instruments, most people seem to keep them in their collection, so they don't turn up often. Or... contact Jeff through their website and order directly from the custom shop. The price for an A5 will be 900 with a nice case, and Jeff will do a terrific set-up. Very happy with mine.

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Parriott for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    There was a used one in the classifieds recently...not sure if it sold or not?
    I think the A5-T did sell. There might still be a used A5-S at Elderly for $585 + shipping

Edit:
    Here it is
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/105507#105507

I might have an A5X or 2 up for sale sometime soon, but not sure. If you're looking for the A5-S, the one used one from Elderly is the only one I'm finding at this time. I had inquired on that one and they even did a play over the phone demo/check out for me. There is a small scratch on the bass side of the bridge that looked like it might be a crack, but they took it to their shop to have checked and it is only a scratch.

That's a bummer. I'll send him an email and see what he's got. Thanks

I had the chance to play 2 or 3 J Boviers at the Mandolin Brothers in NYC when it was still open. I was very impressed, especially at this price point. I keep an eye out for used ones hoping to pick one up at some point but as mentioned above used ones don't come up very often.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

There was a thread a week or so ago about someone buying one on eBay and the person had two more , you might look for that thread. I love my J Bovier good luck
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

That one on Elderly is awfully tempting but that scratch sure does look like a crack. I've already had to return one used instrument I bought online this week (a reported straight tenor guitar neck was nothing of the sort). I don't really want to return another. I hate online shopping but it looks like I will have to. I emailed Jeff and he said he streamlined his production so only has the one A model now and can only buy direct from him. I think it's going to be a little out of my price range but we will see.

Elderly is trustworthy. They told me that they had their shop check it out and there was no evidence of a crack on the inside of the instrument and under a glass it looked like a superficial scratch. Likely made when someone repositioned the bridge without loosening the strings enough. You should call them up and ask about it at least. They are a great shop to work with and they will make sure the instrument is setup properly before they ship it.
    I think that is your best bet if you need to keep it below $700. With shipping to you, it would likely be less than $625.

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    There was a thread a week or so ago about someone buying one on eBay and the person had two more , you might look for that thread. I love my J Bovier good luck
    I bought the JBovier 2 A5X that were available through that seller. He still has an A4 for sale. Great seller to work with. I also bought the A5-T that recently popped up in the classifieds. I'm going to make some videos to add to my thread here:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...MT-A-B-testing
    I may resell one or 2. I'd like to keep them all but it really depends on what she-who-shall-not-be-named says about it.

Your best bet is to get in touch with Jeff Cowherd directly. He is great to deal with. If you were to get either the A5-T or A5-S it would be a huge upgrade from the Michael Kelly. My A5-S is nothing short of amazing. I am constantly amazed at the quality of the tone. I have a friend here in S. Jersey that is a dealer and I had the opportunity to play several of them. All of them were excellent.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I appreciated all the help in selectting my F5T. We talked about what sound I was lokking for and he put a custom SS# on the label. I have a fine mandolin mathring more every day. This mandolin is a 2014 and is from a different batch & factiry than a A5X (2011) which was my 1st J Bovier.

Blog Entries

Hi there,
    I am interested in thier Balck Top A5 special.
    I have ever heard their mandolins are made in Korea, But Have ever heard that it is made in China also. And I've never seen them in somewhere in Japan. Their A5 special is made of European spuruce and flamed maple and Nitrocellulose lacquer finish.
    It feels like High end Chinese mandolins.
    So I want to hear some reviews from J Bovier owners.
    Many thanks,
    2021 Acoustic World (Takeshi Iwamoto) A5 Black face
    2018 Gibson F5 Fern

Quote Originally Posted by Kykym View Post
    Hi there,
    I am interested in thier Balck Top A5 special.
    I have ever heard their mandolins are made in Korea, But Have ever heard that it is made in China also. And I've never seen them in somewhere in Japan. Their A5 special is made of European spuruce and flamed maple and Nitrocellulose lacquer finish.
    It feels like High end Chinese mandolins.
    So I want to hear some reviews from J Bovier owners.
    Many thanks,
    JBovier are made in China now.
    I own a JBovier A5 and it is a great mandolin. One of the best buys for under $1000.
    Looking at their website, it looks like they are not selling the black-top A5 anymore, only the sunburst finish.
    I don't know if Jeff will ship to Japan, but you can contact him and ask. His email is jeff@jbovier.net

https://mandolins.ecrater.com/p/16368398/jbovier-a5

18. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Kykym