Thread: Spanish Cedar Source

Default Spanish Cedar Source

I'm restoring an early Washburn guitar with a "Spanish Cedar" neck and part of the original heel broke off long ago and is no longer with the guitar.

I'm looking for a source of the correct wood to graft on a new piece. My first thought is to see if anyone in the Mandolin Cafe repair community has an old broken Washburn neck (turn of the century) they might sell me as a source for the wood. Any condition at all would work, even a small section.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	153876

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Re: Spanish Cedar Source

If it's true Spanish cedar, it's easy to find, and we use it all the time for large custom exterior moldings on old houses, where we have to replace rotted existing. Not exactly lutherie, but large pieces are pretty easy to get at hardwood importers or wholesalers. I use Hearne hardwoods, but many have it. I believe it's neither a true cedar nor from Spain, but what the heck. All I know is when we run it through shapers, the smell is pretty pungent, makes for a lot of sneezing, even with masks and dust collection.

Definitely not a true cedar, it is in the Meliaceae family like the true mahoganies. From a little reading it would seem that it may have gotten its common name from the fact it smells like cedar.
    Bill Snyder

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Somebody send Ginridge a small piece so he can fix that neck. I don't have any or I would.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Thanks for the feedback! If anyone has a source they can contact me at vallillo@macomb.com. Broken old washburn neck is still the best option in my mind. Turn your shop junk pile into valuable cash and if you act before midnight tonight, we'll include absolutely free the amazing cap snaffle.... uncaps anything in just seconds! A small handling charge will apply....

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Name:	IMG_3957.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	541.7 KB 
ID:	153904

Or perhaps you can just break down and get some and make a few hundred necks out of this stash of 16/4 material. Just the tip of the iceberg, here...

That looks like a Style 6, with the tiny heel? Those have great playing necks, better than the later (post 1889) sharp V ones IMO.

Why replace that neck and end up with a mongrel - when a piece of nicely matched wood will do the job?

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

"A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

There's also this, much more reasonable and cut to a useable size to boot.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Spanish-Cedar-...%257Ciid%253A7
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

It does have the tiny heel. I'm not sure about the style 6 reference, but It is one of the rare solid head Washburn's, probably from the late 1880s based on what Ive been able to determine from the "Washburn Pre-War Instrument Styles" book. I'd love to know more about the Style 6. You can see from the pic below, that it is missing the original "Champion" tuner pegs. I'll be looking for replacements on those as well if anyone happens to have any.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	320.0 KB 
ID:	154065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	154066

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	154067

RE neck size, I completely agree! I have a 1897 New Model 145 with a similar neck that I restored and it's a beauty to play. I just completed an 1897 Style New Model 212 with the bigger neck as well. Harder for me to deal with personally but someone with larger hand might love it.

And yes, I do not intend to replace the neck, just repair the heel.
    Last edited by Ginridge; Feb-17-2017 at 12:27pm.

Thanks for all the good info and links everyone!. I was able to work off Bluetickhounds reference but found the shipping to be excessive (18.00 shipping on an 8.00 neck block). But realizing this is available, I found this source: http://www.woodworkerssource.com/sho...s-spanish.html.
    It's a sample piece 1/2 X 3 X 6 for 8.00 with shipping included.

12. The following members say thank you to Ginridge for this post: