Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose for our menageries?

Default Purpose for our menageries?

During a conversation with my cousin yesterday, I thought about the why for expanding my menagerie and think about other possible whys. I have made an effort to get instruments that tend to stir different aspects of my musical soul. Oval vs for hole, F vs A vs guitar shaped, and mandolin vs mandola vs OM. Each has a different flavors. So my question to you cafeers is what drives your mandolin collection?
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Blog Entries

Default Re: Purpose for our menageries?

I would like to say, suitability for a specific purpose - this one for classical, this one for bluegrass, this one for old time, this one for traditional Irish, this one for outdoor venues, this one traveling, etc.

But the truth is I just fall in love, get obsessed, save money, and buy it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I love it how every instrument has a voice of its own. It's always nice to explore all the subtle (or also the less subtle) differences between them. So you can travel through your collection and enjoy the wide variety of sounds your instruments produce.
    And each isntrument has an "ecological niche" of its own, some have broader ones, some more narrow.
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

5. The following members say thank you to Martin Ohrt for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

If you keep them long enough, they grow on you. . . The stories and such.

That said, I have grown to appreciate each of my instruments for their voice, but would die perfectly happy with my A3. Give me a few years and I may have grown to be happy with my NEW EASTMAN OCTAVE MANDOLIN, just placed on advance order with Elderly! I've really wanted to mess around on an arch top OM and really like the 21-in spec on the scale!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

7. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

One mandolin at work behind my desk for lunch breaks, one special mandolin in a special spot at home for me to play when I am all alone, and one mandolin close at hand at home for practice and gigs.

I probably have the right number of mandolins and I'm not looking for any more.

But you never know...
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

9. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

If I had to sell one, I'd have to explain to my wife why I was selling that mandolin that belongs to my best friend that I've been keeping for him to hide it from his wife!

Actually, it is the subtle differences in the way that each instrument speaks to me - the Duff and Ellis, tho both ff holes, each have a distinct voice, much different from the F2, and finally the National style 1 strung single course mandola strings/tuning is in a world of it's own...

11. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    So my question to you cafeers is what drives your mandolin collection?
    I'm sure I could come up with lots of answers, but they would all be manufactured reasons to try to justify the basic answer: I just want them. They make me happy. Any thought beyond that, I'll leave to my therapist (should I ever need to use one for MAS treatment - but that would require admitting I have a problem, which I don't).

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

The very nature of the mandolin is so varied in its expression that as many as a dozen or more might be needed to explore the range of the instrument's possibilities. Gibson-style, flatback, bowback, mandolinetto, L&H carved instruments, double soundboard, on and on.

Then variations within a style envelope; A-style, F-style, round of ff soundholes, X-bracing, tone bars, trussrod or non-truss, early, middle or late period . . . and that's just Gibson.

Bowlbacks from USA are sonically different from Italian. Greek bowlbacks are a whole other variation. Then of course Roman v Neapolitan, then differences between various makers: Embergher, Cerrone and Pecoraro; Vinaccia - how many Vinaccias were building mandolins?; Calace, Ceccherini, Salsedo, Monzino, Mozzani . . .

Then, wood. What difference, if any, exists between rosewood, maple, and walnut for the body? Spruce, cedar, redwood, the list goes on.

Anyway, the reasons above are why I have more mandolins than I can possibly justify. But who needs justification, if you already have the instruments?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Wait, we're supposed to count bowlbacks?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

16. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Blog Entries

During a conversation with my cousin yesterday, I thought about the why for expanding my menagerie and think about other possible whys. ...
    Why? Speaking generically because I have mandolins and other instruments in my collection... Just like stray dogs and cats, they need a good home, good care, good feeding. And, they have to be somewhere.

Sort of kidding with the pet parallel, but for an instrument collector there is some truth there.

For an instrument player, the variety of sound can be a source of joy for the people behind and the people in front of the instrument.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I really just enjoy surrounding myself with things that I like. I like mandolins.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

19. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    If I had to sell one, I'd have to explain to my wife why I was selling that mandolin that belongs to my best friend that I've been keeping for him to hide it from his wife!...
    There is a made for television movie in that. OMG.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have always collected many things , i had a slot car collection of 300 cars, over 700" of track. The year 2000 i had 52+ guitars and I'm getting really high in mandolins, my guitar collection is down to 14 slot cars down to 15 sold all my snares except for 3 and about 10 violins.

Now none of my mandolins are not high dollar so it's really easy to collect them and they do all sound different.

I just seem to have a problem maybe i didn't have everything i wanted growing up and I'm trying to heal my past or I'm just out of my mind. I can't believe i sold 2 mandolins last month.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I would like to say, suitability for a specific purpose - this one for classical, this one for bluegrass, this one for old time, this one for traditional Irish, this one for outdoor venues, this one traveling, etc.
    But the truth is I just fall in love, get obsessed, save money, and buy it.
    All mine are for a specific purpose. They are for me to play and enjoy. I also believe that he who dies with the most mandolins wins.

I buy because i know no one to loan me theirs,
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

24. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There is a made for television movie in that. OMG.
    More likely a sitcom with a laugh track

Len B.
    Clearwater. FL

26. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Nevermind...put up a long post, but somewhere along the way it hit me that mandos are to me as shiny things are to raccoons...
    Chuck

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I currently have one (arch top f hole A, big name PAC rim)... saving up for number 2 (Flat top oval hole A, small operation single American Luthier)... as I understand it, they will compliment each other nicely.

Anybody wanna buy an armrest
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I agree with JeffD. Each has a purpose and an specific voice. There's also the emotional aspect. First ever, first 'expensive,' first Gibson, the travel mandolin, a custom, an octave, an electric, the performance mandolin. We can all come up with our own sets of justifications. My favorite "I like mandolins and each has it's own purpose!"
    Play em like you know em!

I don't have that many- 3 so far. I'm somewhat of a beginner- only 2 years in but love the Mando- such an awesome instrument. I'm the only Mando in one of the Jams I was in lately and they all marveled over my Weber. I don't think they have had a Mando in their group for some time. I know I'll purchase more in the future. I'll keep the 3 I have -one for Jams because it is really loud and rings out, one that is best for a flat picking like style my dad played on his guitars and good also for Hornpipes. The little beginner Rogue I will always have because it was a Christmas gift from my kids. BTW I was playing a few in a music store today- just in case I ran across something special! No additions to the collection today anyway.
    2014 Rogue
    2014 Weber F Gallatin
    2012 Ison F Jewel
    2016 Taylor GS Mini Guitar
    2015 Weber Yellowstone

32. The following members say thank you to Bonniej for this post:

Wow! Good question! As of 02/08/17 I have a Collings MT, Eastman MD505, JBovier A5X, Blueridge BR-40TCE Octave, Tacoma M2E, Big Muddy MM-8, Malagoli solid-body electric, & Martin LX1E guitar
    Part of the reason is that I have instruments that are for different situations. When I'm playing for myself, I almost always go to the Collings. Depending on who else I'm playing with, I might play octave mandolin, or electric. I keep the Tacoma because it was the first high quality mandolin I ever bought and it is my travel mandolin,. It has traveled the world with me. I also use it for acoustic electric gigs. The Big Muddy is really my son's mandolin and we take it on road trips and camping. The Eastman stays at my place in Colorado, so I don't have to bring a mandolin on the plane when I'm going back and forth. The JBovier I bought just for the hell of it. The Martin I have because I also play guitar. Who knows what excuse I'll make up for the next one...

From Tobin - "I just want them. They make me happy.". There's an honest man !!!. I'm exactly the same,but,we do have an underlying reason for our mando-lust - we like to make music !!. I will qualify that point though - many years ago,i was at a Bluegrass festival here inthe UK & one of our best known UK luthiers,Mike Vanden, had a stall there displaying some guitars & a single F5 style mandolin in a deep cherry red 'burst'. The mandolin was so stunningly beautiful & the workmanship so incredible,that if i could have afforded it,i'd have bought it simply to look at every day - it was a piece of art !. However,that's the way that almost all mandolins seem to me these days - stunning works of craftsmanship,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    ...they would all be manufactured reasons to try to justify the basic answer: I just want them.
    The correct term seems to be "post hoc rationalization", but that's exactly what it really is
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

We all need to go watch "Key Largo"!
    We suffer from "Johnny Rocko syndrome" we want...
    MORE!
    It's human nature really.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

During a conversation with my cousin yesterday, I thought about the why for expanding my menagerie and think about other possible whys. I have made an effort to get instruments that tend to stir different aspects of my musical soul. Oval vs for hole, F vs A vs guitar shaped, and mandolin vs mandola vs OM. Each has a different flavors. So my question to you cafeers is what drives your mandolin collection?
    About the same, together with aesthetic appeal.
    That being said, and "the simple joy of ownership"

For me, after a few years, i find, theres usually one, mando, drednaught, les paul, archtop, that rises as my favorite.
    It doesnt mean the others are not loved. Otoh, depending on ones wherewithal, though, sometimes you need to sell.

Part of having many is that you increase your first hand knowledge, understanding, and ear. This is unique to owning several similar instruments. Its the road to some level of expertise, or at least, breadth of knowledge.

What i find about the favorites is that i become much more attuned and initimate with them as tools. A deeper connection.

I can play them all, but, its nicer having an "extension" of me. Much more meaningful.