Thread: Intro to Carlie Simon's you're So Vain: any tips?

Blog Entries

Default Intro to Carlie Simon's you're So Vain: any tips?

Hi mandoRockers. I am playing the song "You're So Vain" by Carlie Simon.

Chords fine. Now to finetune the rhythm and sound. From the intro through. Full chords doesn't work right through to give that kind of snap so integral to the song, though I think with clever playing and singing it can come good on mando! Tips please if any?

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

Default Re: Intro to Carlie Simon's you're So Vain: any tips?

First, I would recommend using your mandola. Second, work on a long bass note and a short strum for the chord. (A slow boom-chk). The shortening is done mainly in the left hand by lifting the fingers from pressure but continuing to touch the strings. Also, long chord followed by short works.

In A minor you can get a lot of value from the mandola's C string. The A minor chord can hold the A in the bass, or rock from A to the low E (4th fret C string). The F chord would enjoy the 5th-fret bass note, and the open C will sound great.

The rhythm feel for me would be found in that lazy long-short alternation. The intro would be an opportunity to work on showing two voices at once, done by playing the dominant one louder, and taking care to go easy on the bass when trying to highlight the upper line. You could have a little fun using a short bit of tremolo to emulate the bass guitar noodling, and then stop that when adding the piano notes.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Thanks Tom. I am starting to see the value of my mandola, here. High notes just won't do justice. Agree, definitely need the noodling with that first bass note, I think it's a and c?

Also have experimented and think the long short short will do the job.

Alternating strings in the chord may be more effective than strumming full chords. Like the idea of the tremolo! Will first perfect my playing prior to giving voice to it, though enjoyed singing it though.
    I had fun translating the song into Afrikaans. Though when I got to the beginning of "Sun of a gun" I hit a wobble wondering how it would translate. Now have a firm idea.

Thanks again for your reply!

Happy playing

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Thanks for reminding me of that song - I can't hear it without a picture of stars, planets and a rather big telescope in my mind, since it was running on the radio all the time back in those days (or nights) of amateur astronomy.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I could be wrong, but to my ear that intro was done with a bass guitar. Hard to duplicate on a mando or a mandola.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

At Bertram Henze: a huge pleasure.

At Steve: you are right, though I am going to give it a bash. Song cannot do without me trying. <smile> I mean on mandola of course.
    Or I will find a pal who can join on that bass guitar?

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016