Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: composing and arranging

Blog Entries

Default Re: composing and arranging

There are certain physics involved, and speculations about the physics of the ear drum that make certain intervals pleasing, intervals that make us years for other intervals. Are these things universal, cultural, or both.

And then there is the crazy mixed up way we try to put all this stuff into words so as to be able to think about it. For that we need not physics but Ludwig Wittgenstein, specifically I recommend On Certainty.

The tiger you are grabbing is huge and has more than four legs.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

There are certain physics involved, and speculations about the physics of the ear drum that make certain intervals pleasing, intervals that make us years for other intervals. Are these things universal, cultural, or both.

And then there is the crazy mixed up way we try to put all this stuff into words so as to be able to think about it. For that we need not physics but Ludwig Wittgenstein, specifically I recommend On Certainty.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thank you, Tom. Very much appreciated. This is really new and very interesting information though some of it I was vaguely assuming, in parts.

Can you recommend literature covering this field ?

As I see it to be able to write what I feel firstly I should be able to assign basically a note or tone to this feeling, than come up with the second and the third. From here on it is getting easier having a possible scale and the ingredients. Alot comes from experience and reading.

Feeling or mood is not a palpable thing, transient, scetchy. Usually it comes when my instrument is far from me, no pen no pad. I walk around with some melody in my mind and then it goes astray to form an idea, hoping it is still there when a pen is at hand.

When deliberately I sit down, take up the instrument and the notesheet and wait for an idea- useless.

What helps me are scores of classical pieces. I study, write excerpts, listen to variations, play ..

More and more this compositional experience of comes into effect when practising or writing. No straitjacket but an option.

You have given alot of useful information to delve into.

Recently I was reading some article about the resemblance between a artists' color wheel and the chord wheel of 5ths. I have both in my studio and it always occurred to me.

a few years on this is what I found in my search and much of I wanted to know. Together with some others, ofcourse

Great Songwriting Techniques , Jack Perricone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grtsongt.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	183736