Thread: tremolo issue

Default tremolo issue

I play a Breedlove, about 15 yrs old, I think. I've notice that when I try to play a fast tremolo the sounds starts to, well, I don't know the right word word, but the sound starts to distort, or break up. Reminds me of having cheap speakers and turning the volume up too high. Seems the same with different strings (trying D'Addario flat wound right now). While I'm happy to take it to a local well-respected instrument shop nearby, I'm curious if what I'm hearing sounds to you experienced players as a poor technique problem, or an action problem, or something else. Picking single notes w/o tremolo sounds fine, as do chords, but when I play a fast tremolo, ........
    Thanks for any thoughts!

Default Re: tremolo issue

I am having a hard time understanding what the issue is. The description is kind of vague. This sort of thing would be difficult to describe in words. Can you post a sound clip?

3. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

With all respect, I am not trying to cause a problem...but my I ask what shape and thickness pick are you using, and do you pick closer to the fingerboard then the bridge?

Of course action issues, string problems, etc. can have an effect too. I was just curious.

Very good point from David about the pick size and thickness, and where you're hitting the strings.

Another thing to consider is pick angle. I've always found that the tremolo always sounds much sweeter if the pick is hitting the strings at a slight downward angle, rather than hitting straight on at 90 degrees. I'm sure opinions will vary, but I find that if I tremolo with the pick straight on at 90 degrees to the strings, the sound is more trebly and rough, but if I just tilt the pick down towards the treble f hole a tiny bit, it gives a much more subtle sound. Try it and see, it's free and it'll take you 10 seconds to decide if you like it or not!

Cheers

Johnny

6. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

When you start playing faster,are you also playing harder? As you increase your speed,are you also increasing your pressure on the instrument,the volume getting louder,,to the point of maybe you are literally distorting it?

8. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Blog Entries

Something I just thought of. Sometimes, if the two strings of a course are ever so slight out of unison, it is more noticed in tremolo than in single note playing. Just a thought.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Tremolo is just difficult. I've been practicing a lot of double stop pieces in Rubner Petersens' Mando Pickers Guide (great book) tremolo. Pete Martin also has a good pdf on double stops you can use for this purpose

You have to relax the right hand while it's flying up and down, i think it's a little easier if you pick a little closer to the bridge for more string tension than you usually do. And there's one pick that makes it easier (actually one pick material), the casein ones by Red Bear, John Pearse, Papa's, Herve, and others.

(incidentally, since ethere's another Avi Avital thread, I absolutely cannot do tremolo the way he does, holding pick in thumb and index fingertips).
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

As was stated earlier, angle the pick. The more you angle it the less volume you have. Since when learning tremolo there is a tendency to play too hard, angling the pick will let you play hard, have less resistance, and not be too loud or overdrive your mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Throwing out a completely counter argument I would recommend getting the pick as paralell to the strings as possible for the best tremolo sound in the long-term. Yes it is initially more difficult, but the result of overcoming that apparent difficulty without using 'smudging' by angling the pick results in much smoother and more accurate tremolo. Your hand becomes much more disciplined and you get past the snaggy or unclear tremolo options so prevalent in much playing heard today. The angling the pick was a recommendation I am now glad I trained past.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

13. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Someone asked about pick: The one I use has Blue Chip-TAD- 60 printed on it, and I really like it. I just tried D'Addario flat wound strings, and it has made a big difference. I still need put in tons of practice to get the tremolo sounding good, but those strings alone have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mandomaybe View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Someone asked about pick: The one I use has Blue Chip-TAD- 60 printed on it, and I really like it. I just tried D'Addario flat wound strings, and it has made a big difference. I still need put in tons of practice to get the tremolo sounding good, but those strings alone have made a difference.
    That is a good general purpose pick, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Tremolo just needs some work to get right, nothing beats practice. Just enjoy the time with the mandolin.

Remember the famous directions to Carnegie Hall...............practice, practice, practice. Good luck.

Blaming the mandolin is what I usually do. I recommend you stick with that strategy.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

18. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

Tobin