Thread: Anyone play a Mike Atkinson mandolin?

Default Anyone play a Mike Atkinson mandolin?

After looking at many threads on two-points as I love them.. I ran across Mike Atkinson.

Had anyone played one of his gorgeous mandolins?

http://mlatkinson.com/mandolin.htm
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Default Re: Anyone play a Mike Atkinson mandolin?

I know this is an old thread, but I played an Atkinson 2 point today at the Denver Folklore Center. The build quality and sound were great! Beautiful wood and really nice maple binding. The neck was really huge though. D shape and it felt giant in my hand. It doesn't have an adjustable truss rod, so I'm wondering if it has any neck reinforcement at all. If not, that explains why the neck is so thick. If it has a more comfortable neck, I'd have bought it. They are asking $1300
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170831_170839.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	590.0 KB 
ID:	160415

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I played an Atkinson 2 point today at the Denver Folklore Center. The build quality and sound were great! Beautiful wood and really nice maple binding. The neck was really huge though. D shape and it felt giant in my hand. It doesn't have an adjustable truss rod, so I'm wondering if it has any neck reinforcement at all. If not, that explains why the neck is so thick. If it has a more comfortable neck, I'd have bought it. They are asking $1300
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170831_170839.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	590.0 KB 
ID:	160415
    I must have just missed you or got there before you yesterday, but that Atkinson at DFC caught my eye as well. It is a nice looking mandolin. Didn't spend any time with it though. I was in too focused on another instrument. But after I had left it occurred to me that I didn't remember seeing any Kentuckys and saw maybe one Trinity College octave. I'm not in the market for either brand, but DFC used to have pretty substantial inventories of both. Of course they may have let those inventories slide in order free up cash for the Collings stock. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention and they had them on another wall. Anyway, it may be a week or so, but I'll probably go back and try out the Atkinson. Your comments have piqued my interest.

I think DFC has settled on Eastman as their budget mandolin brand. There was one Trinity octave mandolin on the wall. I played a really terrific Turkey Creek F5 there too. Way beyond my price range though. Also enjoyed playing the Lyon & Healy A. 100 years old and still in great condition!
    I liked the sound of the Atkinson, but the neck is huge.

===========

Reviving an old thread . . . .

Has anyone played one of these lately - are the necks still huge, or have they been modified in the past 2 years?