Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Don’t Know If I’m Strong Enough To Talk About This Yet…

Default Re: Don’t Know If I’m Strong Enough To Talk About This Yet…

I could run a slide rule, but was never taught how to use an abacus.
    Here's a picture: Me Googling, "how to use an abacus"

I need to misspell abacus.

I knew that Pulsar! Pretty cool, I think they used three batteries or maybe it was just two. As to the TAG divers, sorry to hear the problem, I know it's a little late but, did the one that needed a board get wet? A loose crown is the usual culprit. Very common.
    I sold them for years, they were a great company prior to the "Louis Vuitton" purchase. Things got more "difficult" then, service became more complicated.
    Rather like some instrument companies for service, many hoops to jump through before you get things taken care of. Thankfully that's the exception with instruments. Well, may not hold for harmonicas but, that's another story.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

I knew the slide rule, (and I taught myself the abacus one summer. Such a nerd I was.) And then calculators. And now, do people even use physical calculators, with the number of calculator emulator apps available on the cell phone?

I think tuners will soon go away also, with the number of folks using tuning apps to tune their instruments.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    And now, do people even use physical calculators, with the number of calculator emulator apps available on the cell phone?
    I do. Granted, I'm a licensed professional engineer, and a goodly portion of my job is doing calculations. But the idea of tapping on my phone all day instead of real buttons makes me cringe. Much of my calculations are done on the computer these days, but I still spend a lot of time reviewing drawings and back-checking others' calculations by hand.

I still use the calculator I bought when I went off to college in the early 1990s. A Casio fx-300SA.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    And now, do people even use physical calculators, with the number of calculator emulator apps available on the cell phone?
    Of course - those without cellphones. And also those of us with dumb phones that just, you know, let you call people and receive calls.

Ditto for tuners, or as I prefer, tuning forks.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I'm with you Mike Edgerton I have no desire to go back and find the junk I had to put up with when I was young and first learning stringed instruments. Hopefully they're resting peacefully in some one's attic or under a pasture owned by Waste Management.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    '65 is my year. I continue to keep my eye out for drum sets, as Ludwig put full date stamps on theirs from that era. I've got a couple of '69 sets and and EM-200 from 1959. Maybe I'll settle for a Fender blacktop amp.
    I just sold a blacktop bassman head.i bought back in the early 80s.i played top 40 rock back then.i paid 80 bucks for a 15 year old amp back then.the amp was a 66. Just hung onto it all this time.sold it last year..amazing what folks will pay
    For vintage tube stuff.....

To Bruce Cech post 15 (re 1943)
    Actually there are lots of Gibson A's from that decade which are reasonably priced in the 1k zone--a lot of them are good playing and sounding. Many have the dreaded laminated body, but you wouldnt necessarily know that.
    Last edited by Bill Cameron; Feb-21-2017 at 9:06am. Reason: Clarify who the reply is to