Thread: my 1925 A4 audio bits

Default my 1925 A4 audio bits

From the post in vintage instruments. Got this around xmas last year from a friend cleaning out Mom's house to move. Was in closet since his great-grandfather died in 1960 unstrung, unplayed. He was a farmer in Indiana that used to host weekly barn jams in the 30's - 40's. Heard it was a big deal in the area. His big hit was Turkey in the Straw that had just come out on record.

Thought it'd be nice to record a little xmas thing and Turkey. My friend sent it to the family in Indiana to listen to on xmas. I heard it was very emotional for them to hear the old mandolin again. Feel really blessed to have this instrument.

thanks for listening. (just me playing all the instruments in home studio)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160926_123648.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	542.2 KB 
ID:	153604  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: my 1925 A4 audio bits

Nice pickin'. Cool variations in the 2nd half of the 2nd tune, although I've never heard Turkey In The Straw in the key of Db (five flats) before! Was there an alternate tuning or a capo involved, or is that like a jazz key or something, or ? Anyway, sounds good.

Tuned down a half step. It hadn't had strings on it since the 60's and I was nervous to bring all the way to pitch. Soon after had it checked out by a tech that showed it being solid and put it up to pitch, no prob.

4. The following members say thank you to mmuller for this post:

JL277z 

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    Tuned down a half step. It hadn't had strings on it since the 60's and I was nervous to bring all the way to pitch. ...
    Understood. I've done that too, with certain instruments. But I have to admit that the thought did occur to me that you might actually play it in Db because your playing seems really good and I figured you might play in unusual keys just for fun... (Me, I'm lost outside of D, G, and A lol).