Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skaggs

Default Re: Skaggs

Quote Originally Posted by taptuned View Post
    I was fortunate enough to see Ricky and his band Kentucky Thunder 4 or 5 years ago here on the east coast of Canada.

The complete show was professional from start to finish. I would not hesitate to see another of his performances.
    Thank you taptuned; that should settle it.
    Silent for 12 years and you felt compelled to chime in on Ricky's behalf. I'd say that carries some weight.

Have not seen him in ages, he doesn't come around here too often.
    Maybe he might be a bit chatty but, I'll listen to him play a comb if he's as good at that as his other instruments!
    One mans opinion.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Just fixing to Start

Here at Famous Daves BBQ loading up before the show..

4. The following members say thank you to Stubs for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stubs View Post
    Here at Famous Daves BBQ loading up before the show..
    You or him?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Just fixing to Start

Me not Mr. Skaggs

I've seen him several times at festivals in the last few years and he has never been talkative or preachy. He and Kentucky Thunder were fantastic. I'm not doubting that he doesn't share his faith or get chatty, but hasn't the times I saw him. He is also much slimmer recently so he might be laying off the BBQ! I have seen a number of folks like Doyle Lawson make a statement of faith and include a Gospel song or two. To me that's a part of the roots of the music and I can respect that.
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

Just fixing to Start

It was a super concert. Great musicians and good energy.
    Only downer was Dennis one of his guitar players was suffering from the flu and passed out on stage. He fell right on top of his guitar and I hope it is not damaged, but man it was a hard fall. That rattled Ricky and the band jumped off the planned list and they played a lot of good older bluegrass tunes until they composed thenselves.
    Ricky does tie very short stories as he moves from person to person who's music he has either played with or recorded. But that ties the show together. I personally liked the continuity to the songs and it was in no way "chatty".
    Being a Christian I did enjoy the gospel songs and they were few.
    We did not stay for autographs and there was no way I was leaving my Chinese Loar in the freezing car to take in like a autograph hound For a signature.
    Granddaughter had a ball watching him and hearing his little jokes.
    Mr.Skaggs if you just happen to read this " Thank You for a great concert" God Bless

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stubs For This Useful Post:

Good to hear you and your grand daughter enjoyed the show Stubs. I sure hope
    Dennis the guitar player is ok. Personally...I like a little chat between songs.
    I,ve been to concerts before..and the band did about 10 songs in a row and in
    my opinion...it was a little,,,too much :o

Nothing like seeing a great show with great musicians very inspiring. Too bad about the Guitar player I never saw anything like happen hope the guys Ok. About wanting chuck your mando in a fire, A band mate told me one time "just cause I can't play golf like Tiger woods doesn't mean I'm not gonna golf" Too all of us with day jobs playing is flat out fun and what more can you ask for. So keep picking and grinnen.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Stubs View Post
    Only downer was Dennis one of his guitar players was suffering from the flu and passed out on stage. He fell right on top of his guitar and I hope it is not damaged, but man it was a hard fall.
    Good heavens. That must have been pretty bad flu.
    David A. Gordon

I got to hang out with Ricky & band in their room at IBMA. They were jamming on instrumentals played as fast as anyone could. After about 2 hours of this Ricky said "I'm getting a little tired".

14. The following members say thank you to Joel Glassman for this post:

Just fixing to Start

He said his fingers were getting a little sore during the concert. I'm not sure but I think it's been a while since Mr. Skaggs has been in full concert mode.

Blog Entries

I fell off a stage once during a gig. Not sick or drunk (non-drinker), just clumsy and not watching what I was doing. I was playing the Dobro at the time and somehow got it up in the air where it made no contact with the ground; it suffered no damage from that one. I was a little embarassed and sore the next day. The band played on.

And I've seen people pass out and fall on their instruments... No fun either.

I'm glad Ricky pulled the band together. If it had been me passing out, that's' what I would have wanted. He puts on a great perfromance.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Just fixing to Start

The guy who fell had a bleeding nose and it was a full face plant. On top of landing on the neck of his guitar. I just hope he's ok today. I'm sure he got a night in the hospital.

Blog Entries

I hope he's ok too.

I'm curious about how this was handled... Did the venue have stage people who helped take him off-stage and did some initial treatment? Or was this handled by Ricky and his band mates? Did they call an ambulance?
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Just fixing to Start

Initially Mr.Skaggs and band mates, then road crew got him off stage and they took him in some maner unknown to the crowd for medical attention.

Dennis Parker

http://www.rickyskaggs.com/news/01-25-17/dennis-parker-back-home-kentucky-thunder
    Last edited by ferrousgeek; Feb-05-2017 at 8:23pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    I honestly think that lots of rank beginners enjoy playing their instruments or playing "at" their instruments as much or more than people of Mr. Skaggs caliber.
    Now that is a subject to discuss. (As a separate thread.) Listening to our heroes, and playing music. Apples and chain saws. I sometimes think your point is right on. Other times I can't imagine playing as well as Ricky Skaggs and not just loving the potatoes out of every second. But then I know that I love the potatoes out of every second I am playing the dern thing anyway.

Someone should start a separate thread on this.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've seen Ricky's live shows about a dozen or so times since the "Highway 40" days. His shows are always spectacular. He and his band are always studio quality. I first saw him in about 1984 when he was a hot country act, and what a show. VERY little talking. He literally ran around the stage grabbing mandolins, mandocasters, guitars, fiddles, and he was THE MAN! Since then he has become more of a talker as the years have gone by.
    A few other observations: he is the only one who talks. Absolutely no other band member ever says a word. Although, Jim Mills smiled. Also, no one moves. So, talking has apparently replaced the movement!!!
    None of the above bothers me. I know what to expect. The music is exceptional, and I agree with his subject matter, anyhow.
    Bob
    re simmers

23. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Glassman View Post
    I got to hang out with Ricky & band in their room at IBMA. They were jamming on instrumentals played as fast as anyone could. After about 2 hours of this Ricky said "I'm getting a little tired".
    Now, that must have been great. Did Andy pick mandolin at all, or just fiddle?

Is Andy still with the group?

When we saw them here in Crockett, Texas in December, Andy said that it was his last show with the group. He is going into some form of Christian ministry. Not sure exactly what, and not sure that he was sure either.

What a fine fiddle player, mando picker, and genuinely good person.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Bob, I am sure you saw Ricky at Gettysburg when he had his own sound man and wouldn`t go on stage until they set it up and it took over 40 minutes to do that and that cut short the time that the band before him played, that wasn`t as bad as it might have been because the band ahead of his was The Dry Branch Fire Squad and Ron talks a lot more than Ricky, DBFS played three songs on that set and he talked the rest of the time, the irony of that is that some people like it...

That's when I go for the beer stand....Did you get one of those MK`s?

Willie

Just fixing to Start

Andy is not with the band any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Now, that must have been great. Did Andy pick mandolin at all, or just fiddle?
    This was in 2001, by the way. Andy played some mandolin when Ricky was on guitar. Mostly fiddle though.
    Bobby Hicks played also and Sharon White sang a couple. I looked in the room and asked Ricky if I could stay
    and listen. He said yes. It was definitely a jam session. If they had been practicing I wouldn't have asked.
    They were showing each other licks and new music and fooling around. A great experience, and maybe
    the best up-close playing I've ever heard.

29. The following members say thank you to Joel Glassman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Now that is a subject to discuss. (As a separate thread.) Listening to our heroes, and playing music. Apples and chain saws. I sometimes think your point is right on. Other times I can't imagine playing as well as Ricky Skaggs and not just loving the potatoes out of every second. But then I know that I love the potatoes out of every second I am playing the dern thing anyway.
    Someone should start a separate thread on this.
    I think that no matter hoe much you love what you do for a living even if it's playing music, there are bound to be days when you would rather play hokey and just goof off. That is the reason I've never really wanted to play for a living.