Thread: Mandola strings CGDA

Default Mandola strings CGDA

Weber Yellowstone A4 Mandola A style, oval hole:

I want to put on new strings and have the choice between D'addario EJ72 and EJ76.

Please, can you share your experience and give some advise.

Thank you.

Default Re: Mandola strings CGDA

whats the gage numbers and what is your scale length?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

3. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

EJ72 is a lighter set, with gauges for CGDA being 14-23-34-49. EJ76 is a heavier set with gauges of 15-25-35-52.

I've used both. Currently my Weber mandola (17" scale) is running EJ76s, but to be honest, I'm going to go back to EJ72s on the next string change. The heavier strings bring out more fat tone, but they are a beast to play on the low frets of the C string. Nothing sounds worse than a buzzy, thuddy sound from not having the finger strength to cleanly fret those big strings on the low notes of a mandola. That should be the place where the mandola really growls with its low notes, but the heavier strings are just too much for me. I like a heavy set on the mandolin, but the mandola has proven to require more manliness than I can muster with heavy strings.

If you have big hands with plenty of gripping/fretting power, go for the heavier set. But if you're not sure, go with the lighter set at first and keep a heavier set for future experimentation.

5. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

I just put some EJ72s on my Eastman mandola. It brought out some extra little odd buzzes/harmonics that I haven't figured out yet on the D strings especially. Still investigating that one...this was my first string change on it. I have no idea what kind of strings came on it from Eastman.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

7. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Same decision to make on my recently acquired Weber bitterroot A5 Mandola. Tried the heavier Ej76, and although the tone and volume was amazing, playability was compromised. Almost impossible to do pulloffs on such heavy strings. Went to Ej72 and much better playability for a very little reduction in tone and volume.

I emailed Weber who said they recommend lights on the Mandola (a John Pearse set 12 to 49). I believe the John Pearse have light strings for the 3rd and 2nd courses. I indeed find that the EJ72 set has too heavy strings on the middle two courses.

My conclusion with all of this is that no one sells an appropriate string set off the shelf. I will be ordering a set of custom strings from new tone which will be something like 14, 22, 32, 50. I found the 52 of the EJ76 set to be ideal for the low C, so I think a 50 would be a good compromise. The 49 renders the low C a bit non descript in my opinion- a bit loose and floppy.

Good luck with the search,

Robbie

9. The following members say thank you to ukrobbiej for this post:

longer scale lighter strings, shorter scale, heavier strings..

on my 4 string converted mandolin the C is an .050", G D A, are the mandolin gages moved over one position.

GHS , uses 12, wound 24, 34, 48.. for It's Mandola set..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

11. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Thank You. The Yellowstone has 17 ''. The bridge is set low, so the action is quite good with the EJ76. I did not have the patience to await your replies so I took these.

"Dola heaven! This beauty growls and purrs along with the best of the subterranean mandolas with fantastic deep and warm tone. I have never understood how a good mandola can sound like this, giving the impression of an instrument much deeper than it actually is and a lot more than a fifth below the mandolin. Fantastic for melody, rhythm and adding a new voice to the mix solo or in a group, its also low enough to sing with. "

This was the text from the shop where I bought it. So that is why I have chosen the heavy strings.

"Went to Ej72 and much better playability for a very little reduction in tone and volume."

"longer scale lighter strings, shorter scale, heavier strings.."

mandroid Why ? Too much tension ? Should I worry now with this set ?

I mailed Weber about this.

I'm not Dr. Science, but Physics does apply here..

lets say 'X' a neutral string set, to reach 'concert' pitch , higher tension comes with the longer scale..

And, a thinner string reaches pitch at a lower tension than a Thicker one ..

this is where, to lay into the strings, picking with force, some mandolin players for volume,

like the .0115" string for mandolin E than the .011", or the lighter .010"

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

I have a 2002 Weber Bridger Mandola with 17" scale. I've used those sets and they are fine. But my favorite is the D'Addario Octave Mandolin set -- .012 - .022 - .032 - .046. They are just as loud and are a bit easier to play and sound great.

At one time I tried another make, LaBelle maybe, that had a .016 high string. That was way too much, although the Bridger is a sturdy, big Mandola.

16. The following members say thank you to WoodyCTA102 for this post:

Of course. But is the tension of the EJ76 really too much ?

I am getting a nice full tone out of them. For the sake of my Weber I would compromise.

Tobin

" Currently my Weber mandola (17" scale) is running EJ76s,"

Any problems with the Weber running EJ76s ?

WoodyCTA102

In CDGA ?

Yes, CGDA.

20. The following members say thank you to WoodyCTA102 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Jaekel View Post
    Any problems with the Weber running EJ76s ?
    I do seem to recall that I had to adjust the intonation just a bit by moving the bridge a tad, but not much. And the larger strings took a while to settle in the saddle slots. I did lower the action a little at the bridge, trying to make the heavier gauge more easy to play with my small, weak, girlish hands . But other than that, no real issues. The Weber is a very solidly-built instrument. The action is good and I've not noticed any issues over the last year or so that I've had those strings on. My only real complaint is that I don't have big enough or strong enough hands.

On my old 1917 Gibson H4 mandola, though, I use only the lighter set. It doesn't have a truss rod or an adjustable bridge, and it's 100 years old. It's a shorter scale mandola, at 15-3/4". I don't think I'd want to risk any structural issues with a heavier set. But the Weber is only a couple of years old, and it'll handle them just fine.

22. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Weber:

Hi Werner,
    For our Weber Mandola's we use and recommend John Perase Strings. 2250 Loop 12-49.
    The D'Addario strings are a but too heavy for our Weber's.

http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm#Mola

John Pearse Phosphor Bronze and Silk – strings and
    www.jpstrings.com
    Thomastik-John Pearse® Guitar Strings. Now! The strings that established John's international reputation back in the 70's--the THOMASTIK- JOHN PEARSE® SET.
    If I can help with any further questions you may have, please let me know.

Happy Playing!

Weber Yellowstone A4: Mandola A style, oval hole, honey/tortoise

I put on new strings D'Addario EJ 76.

Are they too heavy with too much tension ?

Could they damage the instrument ?

Should I better use EJ 72 ?

So, back to EJ72
    Last edited by Werner Jaekel; Jan-27-2017 at 12:46am.

24. The following members say thank you to Werner Jaekel for this post:

Tobin 

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I have a Gallatin D hole. Used the Daddario med and found that I preferred the John Pearse 2250 (med) that Weber used.
    Lately, I am using 13 20 28 45 custom flatwounds from e-mando. These I like due to almost no metallic sound. There may be an almost unnoticeable loss in volume but they seem to last a long time, are easy on my fingers, and sweet to my ears.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

26. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

D'Addario EFT-76 (Flat Tops) on my Duff H-5. They have .016" wound A strings (very nice). If they made a set of EFW-76 (Flat Wound), I would definitely give them a try.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

28. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Message again from Weber,

Hi Werner,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you!

We recommend the John Pearse #2250 set… the gauges are: .012, .021W, .032W, .049W.
    It would be ok to use other brands in the same gauge or lighter, however we do not recommend increasing the gauge.

Please let me know if you have any further questions…

Happy Pickin” J!!!

Paul Kumro | Consumer Services

Two Old Hippies Stringed Instruments
    61573 American Loop Bend, OR 97702
    o: 541-385-8339 ext. 352