Thread: Wegen Picks at Strings and Beyond

Default Wegen Picks at Strings and Beyond

Just a heads up if anyone has been on the fence about buying some Wegen picks, Strings and Beyond (a Cafe sponsor) currently has a 15% off coupon for all accessories. I just picked up a two-pack of white TF140's and a two-pack of black TF140's for $27 and some change, shipped. I'm very excited to try these out.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wxfloyd For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wegen Picks at Strings and Beyond

The TF140's are excellent all around picks.

Strings and Beyond is a great source for Wegens and Thomastik strings. Just can't support them as much as I'd like as they don't wear out very often!

I like the TF100, gives me a nicer sounding G string with nice all around sound. The thicker ones deaden my G more than I would like. If you have a bright low end than they are great, but if you have a deep low end then a thinner one works better for me. I quit using the BC after several years as the sound of the G was just to dead for my tastes.
    Last edited by pops1; Jan-24-2017 at 10:17pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the heads up!
    Chuck

I've ordered Wegens from them several times, all sizes. Got more on the way. I liked my white TF120s a lot. Now I'm liking the black TF100s as much if not more. Nice price... at least compared to certain other picks I own.

Why would you want Black TF140's? Everyone and their brother knows the white ones have better tone.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

9. The following members say thank you to Gutbucket for this post:

I really like the Wegen Mandolinpick 1.50 model. nice size and feel with a great bevel.
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

Aren't the black ones beveled for left handed players?

Wegens handle well and produce a bright sound - great for group playing. But I just hear too much pick click when playing alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Aren't the black ones beveled for left handed players?
    You can get either color in right hand or left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You can get either color in right hand or left hand.
    All bar one of the black picks, bar one, from my usual UK supplier - http://www.newstrings.co.uk/acatalog...azz_Picks.html - are left handed.

Twangdog - which of the Wegens are you using? The bluegrass picks ay have a bright sound but the mandolin ones don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    All bar one of the black picks, bar one, from my usual UK supplier - http://www.newstrings.co.uk/acatalog...azz_Picks.html - are left handed.

Twangdog - which of the Wegens are you using? The bluegrass picks ay have a bright sound but the mandolin ones don't.
    I have both white and black in right hand, think your supplier is only carrying them that way.

I have settled on Wegen Dippers for my all around "cheaper" picks. 1.2 mm for guitar and 1.8 for mandolin. I also like the Gypsy jazz. It is around 3mm. Yes, I've joined the BC bandwagon.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Only Wegen I've tried is the M150 mandolin pick. Maybe it's just my ears, or the way I attack the strings. Everything mando is so darn subjective. And that's why we love them.

Quote Originally Posted by twangdog View Post
    Only Wegen I've tried is the M150 mandolin pick. Maybe it's just my ears, or the way I attack the strings. Everything mando is so darn subjective. And that's why we love them.
    The only pick I've found which sounds less bright than the M150 is the "Dawg" - with one of those you pluck a string and nothing happens!

I guess I should chime in since I started this thread.
    I have to say I'm very much enjoying my Wegen picks. I was using Dunlop Primetone 1.5 (with grip) and while they are ok, I felt they were little too bright for my taste, with a LOT of pick click that was almost distracting at times, at least in a home setting. I also have a Pro-Plec that I use now and then. I like its tone better, but without a speed bevel, I feel I have to strike the string at nearly an exact perpendicular angle to get any sort of volume.
    With the Wegen TF140's, I feel like I'm getting a good compromise between the two previously mentioned picks. Good solid tone without being overly bright, good volume, and also pretty good pick feel with the holes drilled in the pick. I have yet to try the gold standard Blue Chip, so I can't say how these compare to those. I'd also be lying if I said my purchase wasn't at all influenced by the fact that Chris Thile is again using Wegens (at least on PHC).
    For reference, I play an Eastman MD-315 with a Ben Wilcox ebony bridge, using D-Addario EXP74CM strings.
    I've also briefly tried them on my Larrivee D-03 acoustic guitar (with D'Addario EJ-16 light strings), and they also work well on it. I will admit though that the Primetone might have a slight edge on the guitar, pulling out a little more low-end.
    Also, as of yet in my limited testing, I've found no tone difference between the white and black Wegens (as I expected).
    Overall I'm very happy I purchased these.