Thread: "lost" early New Grass Revival album

In a full-page review of the King/Starday Best of Bluegrass box set in the June Bluegrass Unlimited "AW" says:
    "And finally, there are two tracks from the New Grass Revival's "second" album, still unreleased after thirty years, due to the turmoil at the Starday studios in the early '70s."

Amazon tells me that the tracks in question are Norwegian Wood and Door into Sunset.

I only heard the original quartet of Sam, Curtis, Courtney and Ebo a couple of times live but I would love to hear anything else they might have recorded beyond the first LP. Anyone here know more details about this mystery album and what tunes were recorded for it?

John Goodin

Blog Entries

I don't know if Ebo Walker was on these sessions. I think it was Butch Robins on bass. I'll have to ask Butch, but in his book What I Know Bout What I Know, Butch talks about the Starday sessions for the second album and how the label was trying to force things like Neil Diamond songs on them. They did try to record Norman Blake's "Little Orphan Annie" (which was a part of their set list back when Walker was with them) and I think I remember mention of Norwegian Wood. Mainly those sessions, according to Butch's book, were mainly an excuse to smoke a lot of pot. The sessions were scrapped.

Jim

A friend of mine years ago had a recording of them playing at a Greensboro, N.C. club. I got to hear it. It was done on a small cassette recorder. They performed Liitle Orphan Annie, Norwegian Wood, Devils Dream, and one called I think, Wild Hog, thete were many others but I can't remember what they were. This would have been in that same time frame.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that Butch had written that book, I'll try and borrow a copy through the wonders of interlibrary loan. I saw the band with Ebo a couple of times around 1972-73 but never heard the group when Butch was with them. I saw them a bunch of times in and around Louisville after John was in the group though and those were always great shows.

John

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

I actually had a copy of that album, courtesy of a friend that is great friends with Curtis and was with Courtney. It was not that good and I am the biggest NGR fan ever. I see why it wasn't released. I don't have the copy anymore and I don't remember what was even on it. I just remember listening to it and being very unimpressed.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Butch's book is a real gem....lots of inside story tellin goin on...I got my copy from Amazon.com...

I never had one of their albums to lose...I guess I was lucky... went to see them once in person and couldn`t stand the rock and roll sound...Just my taste and opinion so don`t shoot me down...Willie