Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

Default Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

I owned a great Breedlove Quartz KF, that was stolen from my car in 2007. Broken glass, everything of value taken, etc. I reported the theft to the police and made a claim on my homeowner's insurance.
    I saw it on Craigslist today in a nearby town! Same modifications caugt my eye, and the pictured serial number matches.
    Besides buying it back from whomever is selling it, is there anything I can do to recover it?

Default Re: Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Besides buying it back from whomever is selling it, is there anything I can do to recover it?
    Yes, or maybe no, but I think you should inform the police. I'm not saying that you will get it back; I don't know all the circumstances. For instance, you say you reported it stolen to your insurance company. Depending on the conditions of the insurance settlement, you may not personally have any right to reclaim it. The insurance company might though, and if they choose to pursue the matter could recover it on your behalf.

I went through something very similar many years ago. It did not result in getting the instrument back but in the long run, it was best that the police were kept in the loop. If they choose to disregard the info (after ten years, they likely will), that's their decision.
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Jan-22-2017 at 8:46am. Reason: clarification,spelling errors

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Yes, it's still yours. If you have proof of ownership, you can tell the police you found it, and see if they will accompany you when you go to meet the seller. Best bet is to go to the sellers house, then call 911 after you've made positive ID. If there is no longer a serial # you may have to go to small claims court.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

If it was me I'd certainly call the police, especially if I still had all info, evidence, etc.

Good luck with getting it back - it would be great for you to be reunited with an old friend.

7. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

If the insurers paid out against the claim in 2007, it may well now 'belong' to them ? Indeed, if they paid out, it may even have been recovered and re-entered into someone else's lawful possession, even though it started off as 'yours' without you knowing.

( like an echo of what was posted whilst I was typing.....)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NEH57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks everybody!
    I contacted the police dept who took the report and they gave me the details of the complaint # and the item article #. They said it was still listed as stolen, so the insurance company never recovered it, otherwise they would have filed it as such.
    I contacted the police department where the seller listed the instrument and they said they would like to help me recover the instrument. Whether they can/will or not remains to be seen.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

If you received money from the insurance company check with them over ownership. Remember the Strad violin recently recovered? The family returned the insurance monies in lieu of getting the violin back.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I work for an insurance company. We have recovered property decades after it was reported stolen. It all depends on how willing the local police are to do their job. Good luck with it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

It's an open stolen article case. They'll be more than willing to close it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

While agreeing with all the above, I'd just add that you shouldn't jump to conclusions about the current seller (if so tempted.) The instrument may have passed through several hands over the prior ten years and the current seller may or may not be aware of the status of the item. I'd be ambivalent about whether to contact the seller directly with the story and documentation; he might not believe you and might just pull the ad, making the authorities' job harder.

18. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

i agree with all above. it may be yours, it may be the insurance company's. it may be the one possessing it now.

good luck and may there be a swift outcome!

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

20. The following members say thank you to fentonjames for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    While agreeing with all the above, I'd just add that you shouldn't jump to conclusions about the current seller (if so tempted.) The instrument may have passed through several hands over the prior ten years and the current seller may or may not be aware of the status of the item. I'd be ambivalent about whether to contact the seller directly with the story and documentation; he might not believe you and might just pull the ad, making the authorities' job harder.
    I agree that the current seller is probably not the thief, nor would they have any idea that the property was stolen. I don't think that matters to the police since it is still listed as stolen. Not sure how I feel about some private party, who doesn't know its provenance, having it seized while trying to sell it. Anyhow, I'm not sure I'll get the mandolin back, but I am at least going to try.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Having worked at a vintage guitar store, this situation comes up once in a while. If you filed a police report at the time of the theft and they still have it on file, they will meet you at the sellers house, check the serial number and hand the instrument to you. Very simple. Takes 5 minutes. It doesn't matter how many times the instrument has changed hands in the past -- it is still stolen property. Bring your ID and proof. The seller will not get in trouble, he will just be out the instrument and what it cost him. I would act quickly before it is sold again. Don't mention any of this to the seller ahead of time, just show up with the police at the time you arrange, just in case.

24. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Assuming that the seller doesn`t know it is a stolen instrument and the police do get it back for you what does the seller get? Will he be out what ever he paid for it when he purchased it?

John Duffey`s F-12 was stolen and he accepted a payment for its value and years later it was found in a pawn shop in Baltimore and he paid the insurance company back what they gave him and he got the mandolin back, in that case the pawn shop lost out on the deal, so I guess it will be the same with the seller in this case...If the settlement was for more than what the mandolin is now worth I would just forget about trying to get it back and just let the police know so they can now list it as "case closed"

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Assuming that the seller doesn`t know it is a stolen instrument and the police do get it back for you what does the seller get? Will he be out what ever he paid for it when he purchased it?
    He gets to NOT go to jail! Seriously, if he has paperwork and receipts from where he purchased it -- music store, pawn shop, individual, etc. -- the police can "back up" the deal and get his money back. Pawn shops LOVE when this happens, BTW! If he has no paperwork, he has no recourse and will be out the instrument and what he paid for it.

Seller doesn't seem to know much about it, listing it as a "mandolin guitar - for serious mandolin guitar users".
    I'm betting it is in a pawn shop. I was thinking of driving to the 5 or so pawns in the area, but they all are closed on Sunday and I'm leaving town tonight for a week for work.
    I'll keep you updated. Thanks!

Just heard back from seller. He says he's had it since 2005 (which was when I bought it), and he told me that he bought it from the same shop that I actually bought it from. I always keep my receipts in the case, so I'm betting my receipt is in with it still. I'm looking now for my e-mail with the shop that I bought it from.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

I hope you get it back!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

31. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

Well first of all, you've established he's a liar, if it is indeed your mando. He may be the guy that stole it as well.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Well first of all, you've established he's a liar, if it is indeed your mando. He may be the guy that stole it as well.
    Yep. No way to know whether he's the "used car salesman" type of liar or a car burglar, but if that's really the mandolin in question, the guy's a phony.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

He's owned it for 12 years and still doesn't know what it is?
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s1m0n For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    I doubt that someone would hang on to an instrument for 10 years before fencing it. My guess is that he somehow knows that it is stolen property though. Maybe selling illegally for a pawn shop that took it in that looked and found it registered. Anyhow, I may be meeting with him and the PD this afternoon to find out.

37. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Amazing you found it after all these years, I hope the mandolin hasn't been neglected since it was stolen from you. Here's hoping things go well and you are reunited with your long lost mandolin! Keeping fingers crossed for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalasinar View Post
    Amazing you found it after all these years, I hope the mandolin hasn't been neglected since it was stolen from you.
    It does sound like the current owner is not a player. The mandolin may have nodded off and been asleep these last ten years, waiting patiently for the touch of colorado_al's hands to awaken it.

In all seriousness I wish a good outcome for the OP.

40. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

al, is it in colorado or missouri, if in missouri, where? if it's nearby, i can check it out for ya.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

42. The following members say thank you to fentonjames for this post: