Thread: Anyone tried Aaron Weinstein's mandolin chord melody book on TG?

Default Anyone tried Aaron Weinstein's mandolin chord melody book on TG?

Just wondering if anyone had tried this book on tenor guitar?

I no longer play mando and stick to longer-scaled tenors now. I've had a lot of success and enjoyment out of the Beatles chord melody for mandolin book simply by adapting some of the chords with the longer stretches. I'd now like to take chord melody a step further and Aaron's book looks like it could be the ticket, especially since he added the videos, but I'm wondering whether it might be a bit too mandolin-centric, or perhaps you'd lose too much by altering the chords to suit longer stretches?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Anyone tried Aaron Weinstein's mandolin chord melody book on

Short answer no.

Longer answer I bought the Mel Bay Tenor Banjo Chord Melody book, and I have another by Phil Wilking that I bought years ago and am going to give another try, both of these are CGDA which I have just recently put my TG into.

I found the Mel Bay method a bit confusing, not enough explanation and I am a bit confused about what octave I am in, so I stepped back and got a more basic TG method, once I am through that I will have another try at the Chord Melody books.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

3. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

From when I watch Aaron's videos, I couldn't imagine doing these on tenor due to the stretches.

HOWEVER, there is a long tradition of chord melody tenor banjo. Those would be playable.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

5. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

Thanks guys.
    The appeal, like with the Beatles book, for me would be having the tunes/exercises written out for GDAE rather than CGDA-tuned instruments, as is the case for tenor banjo tutors, but I think Pete's right in that the stretches would be too much in this case. I'll continue looking and making up my own arrangements but when I do the latter I find it takes up too much of my limited practice time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    From when I watch Aaron's videos, I couldn't imagine doing these on tenor due to the stretches.
    Expand your imagination. Possibilities are endless.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AaronWeinstein For This Useful Post: