Default Re: NAMM 2017 Anaheim

I'm liking the Eastman octave, probably going to buy one
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

2. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Thanks for nice updates, try to stay dry down there in Anaheim, Scott. We're getting an inordinate amount of rain here in SoCal this season. Good for the water tables but not so much for riding in the topless roadster!

Do (does?) Northfield have a booth at the show? I'd love to try their Artist model with the unique bracing.

Blog Entries

No booth at the show. In fact, Adrian is already back in Michigan because apparently there was a death in his extended family .

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Spend not a further moment worrying if Greg Rich still buys and wears some of the most (my opinion) hideous clothes on the planet.

Name:  greg.jpg
Views: 5243
Size:  158.7 KB
    Just be thankful he didn't dress like a Coffin Case girl.

Blog Entries

I usually come to the show every other year, but this is the second year in a row, which reminds you why it's a good idea to only come every two years.

For mandolin, tenor guitar kind of activity, 48 hours is a long, long time.

New from yesterday: Schertler will be coming on board as a Forum sponsor starting February 1, and we'll be doing a giveaway with them at some point, likely this summer. I've always liked the company and their products, but mainly I like their attitude and their devotion to the music, something I found oddly missing in a couple of meetings with some industry people at the show. I alluded to this on Thursday in my opening post.

Here's the thing: most people on the planet play music for the love of it, not an occupation. Music is an essential part of a life for those of us that get it. There are those few musicians that really do make a living at being a musician and dig it, a percentage surely less than kids with NBA dreams that eventually make it there. Then there are people that are musicians and do music as a related occupation (me, for example) and love what they do and look forward to every day. Then there are people that appear to my eye to have no emotional connection to the bigger picture that is music. I find these types troubling, and boy, did I meet a zinger on Thursday. Wow. But I'm usually not an ax grinding kind of guy in public so no names. I'm bringing this up mainly to remind myself the good out there in music is the focus. It's just said when you love what you do so much and on occasion you run into someone that just doesn't give a damn about music. Sad.

LA beckons. Such a big Korea Town, so many dumpling places, so little time. Business travel is hell for a guy that digs little hole in wall joints with great food.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

An email that just came in to NAMM subscribers. The love of the music, the instruments, everything about Collings is so refreshing. Adding this to just provide a little more flavor attendees receive.

MF Blacktop

The Collings MF provides the same quality of construction as our fully appointed models and the rich woody tone that one expects from a professional mandolin in an affordable configuration. This MF features our popular “Blacktop” finish!

Name:  unnamed.jpeg
Views: 1752
Size:  32.4 KB

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Spend not a further moment worrying if Greg Rich still buys and wears some of the most (my opinion) hideous clothes on the planet.

Name:  greg.jpg
Views: 5243
Size:  158.7 KB
    From a marketing POV it's quite brilliant.

There's an old saying in marketing - no news is bad news - which is apropos here because the clothes attract attention to start a conversation which is about instruments and has nothing to do with the clothes.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

12. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Blog Entries

I love Greg. He's the only thing I care about at that company, and he's retiring in May.

Great report Scott - NAMM is a long way from the UK.

Any idea what the tuners are on the Manson? They look awfully like the ones I fitted to my Clark GBOM a year or so ago - made by Keith Robson here in the UK.

15. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Great report Scott - NAMM is a long way from the UK.

Any idea what the tuners are on the Manson? They look awfully like the ones I fitted to my Clark GBOM a year or so ago - made by Keith Robson here in the UK.
    Didn't make a note of that.

Wow that Manson is drop-dead gorgeous. It's always such a blast seeing your NAMM report - I really appreciate you taking the time to share your photos and your impressions of the show with us! Thanks very much!
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

18. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    It's funny, when I saw them I wanted ask the same question. They don't look like any of the brands I'm familiar with.

First time I've heard of them. Nice looking tuners.

http://www.robsontuners.com/
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

IN an effort to make sure the Scott is properly attired next year for NAMM, I would like to start a fund to buy him a pair of Spandex pants.
    Since everyone is all ga ga over the new Eastman's.......I have a card from Eastman worth $50.00 on a new purchase from an authorized dealer, I don't see myself using it in the next year, so......anybody that donates $25.00 to the CAFE, I'll send them the card....and Scott is on his way to a stronger fashion sense

Wonderful reporting, Scott. Great observations and neat pictures. Thanks a million.

One of the unexpected highlights of the day, a chance to meet and chat briefly with legendary builder Andy Manson, originally from England but now making his home in Portugal. Everything on display for him is actually owned by a collector in LA except for this mandolin which he said is for sale and can be purchased here. $8K... no idea if that's flexible price. I can attest it sounded quite good and played well...]
    At that price point, you're talking about this mandolin, a Weber Fern, and a Collings MF5. So, if a surprise $8K check came in the mail, which would you buy? Obviously, the finish would be a huge plus or minus, depending on taste, so just go with the tone of each.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    I love Greg. He's the only thing I care about at that company, and he's retiring in May.
    Agreed...

Actually, since you've provided such great NAMM photos and documentation, Greg is really the biggest thing I miss about not being at NAMM this year. He's kind, generous, funny, wise with experience, and he has made a huge impact on many of the instruments that I care a lot about.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    At that price point, you're talking about this mandolin, a Weber Fern, and a Collings MF5. So, if a surprise $8K check came in the mail, which would you buy? Obviously, the finish would be a huge plus or minus, depending on taste, so just go with the tone of each.
    I'd stick it in my nest egg. Sorry, I'm that kind of guy, and I have the killer mandolin of my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    I'd stick it in my nest egg. Sorry, I'm that kind of guy, and I have the killer mandolin of my dreams.
    What's this "nest egg" of which you speak? Do you mean your retirement instrument collection? I imagine how much time I'll get to spend playing every instrument that I sunk my money into, once I'm retired and living in the poor house...

Did anyone see or play the torrified top Collings MF5 oval hole mandolin with the quilted back?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Ok... time to get real... are any of you out there excited enough about Andy Mason's F5 creation to write a check for eight thousand dollars?

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Ok... time to get real... are any of you out there excited enough about Andy Mason's F5 creation to write a check for eight thousand dollars?
    His mandolin is intriguing...my tastes differ however and I'd be looking at other options at that price point if I could afford it...YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Did anyone see or play the torrified top Collings MF5 oval hole mandolin with the quilted back?
    I played it, and Alex Rueb played it when we picked a few. I liked it a lot, but their Italian spruce top blonde MT2 (2 piece birdseye back) was the top of their bunch this year -to my ear.

*Eastman also had a killer 815V in a new model with an aged violin finish. It sounded old and played really well, too.

32. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

Some cool stuff--I would love to be able to go one year...
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?