Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northfield Artist #30

Smile Northfield Artist #30

This post is to share my newest mandolin.

Just in from the NorthField workshop, my custom Engelmann top, 5-Bar omnidirectional, wide-necked beauty. This took 9 months from the start of the project until delivery. The color inspiration was from a cabinet outside Adrian's office. It had an old world feel with light sheridan browns and some rawhide for highlight/contrast. We hand-selected a book-matched flame maple back with consistent figure, minimal variation, and extension from the center all the way to the edges of the frame.
    The mando has a French Polish finish with a touch of light brown... which is incredibly beautiful and still curing. The color is shifting slightly as it hardens giving more warmth. The neck has minimal varnish "violin/speed neck", which makes it very easy to play.

Fit and finish are lovely. The binding is consistent, and includes fine details both top and sides. The lighter stain requested for this build really demonstrates the beauty of the raw materials, and the high level of artistry and craftsmanship to make them sing.
    The headstock inlay is brass wire with abaloney, done in house at the NorthField workshop. It took several months to get the inlay design completed, one of the major delays... but I wanted something that represented Northfield's aesthetic and would be re-used (not a one-off).

And now for the important stuff: how does it sound? I'll be posting some audio files in the near future, but here's a good sense... The mandolin is incredibly warm, resonant, woody, and has sustain of over 40 seconds. The trebles are louder than on my previous mando, making chords and stops much easier to play with balance. It's also crazy loud and responsive... surprised me at first just how loud. It's great to play and listen to. The full contact bridge is superb and Derek did an amazing job with setup.

I played the mandolin in comparison to a few others this week including the following:
    1984 Zeidler Carrara
    February 1924 Gibson signed by Lloyd Loar
    2015 Collings MF5V
    2002 Gibson F5 Master Model Fern
    1980 Monteleone Grand Master

The old wood of the 1924 had more richness and maturity of sound, and a Loar is a Loar, but it wasn't a huge difference. The Zeidler was quite close sonically, but the Northfield had much more volume and less resonant frequencies to distract the ear.

For $6,700 (retail) including the complex Inlay, Airloom Case, and Airloom Case Cover, I'm quite pleased with the results. After playing it, I'm not surprised that Mike Marshall, Adam Steffey, Don Julin, and Emory Lester choose to play this instrument even though they each own multiple mando's including signed Loar's. To sound this good when it's brand new... it will be fun to hear this open up and grow in the coming years.

The photos were taken before the bridge was mounted. I'll take some other pics of it now that it's fully setup.

Enjoy the photos. Feel free to ping with questions.

Best,
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#30-Back.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	153130
    First time I saw the varnished back... I was stunned.

Name:	#30-Headstock.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	153131

Name:	#30-Rear3:4.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	153132

Name:	#30-Front.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	414.3 KB 
ID:	153133

Name:	#30-Scroll.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	315.3 KB 
ID:	153134

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dschonbrun For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: Northfield Artist #30

That's beautiful. The back is very striking, so much so that I almost thought I recognized it! It is very close indeed to the wood on my older 'Big Mon', which was itself specified with an extra-high grade back. Here they are side-by-side:

Name:	Northfield_backs.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	153136

Sounds like you got a really fine mandolin there, anyway. Congratulations!

Enjoy.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Thanks Almeria... I think it just goes to show that the team at Northfield are getting really great wood stocks and are able to deliver consistently high quality instruments.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dschonbrun For This Useful Post:

Every post about Northfield mandolins draws me like a magnet, and they never disappoint. This one's a real stunner, just beautiful. Every chance i get to play one i jump at, they are amazing instruments. Thanks for sharing, look forward to hearing it.

8. The following members say thank you to Darren Bailey for this post:

I'm glad that belongs to someone here! I saw the back of that instrument on Northfield's Instagram, and have a picture of saved amongst my rotating desktop backgrounds. Everything about that instrument is just perfect. Hopefully you can post a few soundclips and/or vidoes!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSanta For This Useful Post:

Wow. What a beautiful instrument. Enjoy!
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

12. The following members say thank you to guidoStow for this post:

Blog Entries

Now THAT'S how you do a speed neck! I've never liked the look of a stark contrast from stain to raw wood, whether done at the factory or aftermarket.

If I ever upgrade from my Eastman, Northfield is on my short list. Congrats on the beautiful new baby.

14. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

Lovely. The headstock inlay is delicate and gorgeous. I also like the oval-shaped T/R cover. Is that pickguard your design? And how do you like the case and cover?

16. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Drew, they are selling my F5S amber (after Derek polishes the frets). If you're interesting in an incredible Mando in lovely condition after 1 year of regular play, at a discount off new, call Peter and get on the list for "David's F5SA." It comes with an Airloom case.

18. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

The pickguard is their design, stock for artists... it's real ebony, triple bound, brushed satin finish. I love the case, and like the cover. I chose to cut down the case feet to half depth so they don't protrude as much (it's easy... they are a rubberized polymer). The cover is the first design iteration and fits the case quite nicely. Great canvas and fleece, light but sturdy. It's well finished, and looks great. I do question the rectangular cutout for the handle, but that's minor. Because I live in New England, and since my small dog case has backpack straps and fits over the Airloom cover, I'm actually "double bagging". It helps the instrument stay in tune, and provides more cushion for air travel.

Best, David

Gorgeous mandolin! Those guys/gals are doing some amazing work! Agree, the inlay is very tastefully done!!
    Chuck

21. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Stunning back - and I love the design on the headstock.

23. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

What a lovely instrument! Enjoy!
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Octave Mandolin and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo

25. The following members say thank you to Cecily_Mandoliner for this post:

Beautiful mandolin David. Enjoy!

27. The following members say thank you to Bill Slovin for this post:

Just gorgeous and congrats. Hands down best headstock inlay I have ever seen.

29. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Beautiful and congrats! I absolutely love my Northfield F5M, I was able to play two of the AS last summer and they are great, the headstock inlay is awesome!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

31. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Very very nice. +1 on the headstock inlay. Exquisite.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

33. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    I chose to cut down the case feet to half depth so they don't protrude as much (it's easy... they are a rubberized polymer).
    I just removed the 4 bottom feet (they unscrew, I found out...lol). They weren't needed with the cover on and can be re-installed at any time. And, the cover fits better without them.

I do question the rectangular cutout for the handle.
    I like it, as it allows a flush cover-to-case look and feel. And no under-the-handle cover flap, as other cases sport. A very good thing. Funny, when I first got the cover, I couldn't figure out how it went on, and I put it on upsidedown and backwards

I already hit "thanks" for sharing these photos with us but have to say, what a beaut.

36. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I just removed the 4 bottom feet (they unscrew, I found out...lol). They weren't needed with the cover on and can be re-installed at any time. And, the cover fits better without them.

I like it, as it allows a flush cover-to-case look and feel. And no under-the-handle cover flap, as other cases sport. A very good thing. Funny, when I first got the cover, I couldn't figure out how it went on, and I put it on upsidedown and backwards
    I didn't completely remove the feet, because there is a female screw mount that protrudes about 1/4" from the case. You'd have to grind those down if you remove the feet completely, otherwise they might puncture the case cover.

Best, David

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    I already hit "thanks" for sharing these photos with us but have to say, what a beaut.
    I'm working on some new pieces with my teacher, will share audio files shortly. It sounds incredible; the D and A strings have a bell-like quality that is amazingly pure.

Best,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    I didn't completely remove the feet, because there is a female screw mount that protrudes about 1/4" from the case. You'd have to grind those down if you remove the feet completely, otherwise they might puncture the case cover.
    Interesting. No such screw mounts exist on my case; simply threaded screw holes, flush to the shell.

It seems that maybe Northfield have changed the method of attachment for the feet screws.
    A '' protruding female screw mount'' sounds as though it was an afterthought when the case was finished. Drill a hole & 'glue' in a threaded bush for the screws. Usually when something like that is required,a piece of 'some material' ie. Tufnol / Nylon or 'whatever', is layed up with the laminates as part of the construction & then drilled & threaded to take the screws. The technique is most common in types of sandwich construction but can be used in fiberglass / CF layup. It simply provides a non-delaminating strong point in which the screws are fitted,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

A likely scenario, Ivan. This case is v1 and Adrian has talked of a 'Son of Airloom' in the works. I have supplied some ideas heretofore, where an awesome case can be made even awesomer....

Awesome looking mandolin, I bet it sounds as good as it looks.
    2016 Eastman MD515-CS

42. The following members say thank you to LKinser for this post:

Actually, This is the newest version and it has some small changes from the v1 proto that I had previously, and so it's not an afterthought. The female threaded post is a T-nut, and is inserted from the inside of the case through a small hole. It was done during production, prior to the foam and fabric being laid down.

That said, there are opportunities for improvement of the case. Numerous customers have provided feedback. The boys at Northfield are very customer centric and love to tinker.

Best,
    D

44. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

AlanN