Thread: Mandolin set-up tools

Roger M
    Haut Viene, Limousin, France and Galloway Scotland.

Default Mandolin set-up tools

High there folks,
    I'm a UK based player who has run out of patience trying to find a competent luther to work on my mandolins. I have decide to learn how to do my own fretting and set-ups and I will practice first on some instruments that I mistakenly bought from the "far east" some years ago.
    I would like some advice on what tools to buy for this work, fret files, slotting files, straight edge etc.

Default Re: Mandolin set-up tools

That would depend on how many times you are going to set up your mandolins, and if you would likely do more than just your own. I don't use any specially bought luthiery tools, but some are adapted to suit. A triangular saw file with the corners ground and polished. A piece of 4"x2" with a grove cut that holds a file to put the angle on the end of the frets. Junior hacksaw blades ground thinner to start nut slots and welding torch files to finish them. A set of needle files comes in handy. My straight edge is a piece of Ali bar 10" long 1"x1/2" which I stick wet and dry to with masking tape and super glue. This page and his other pages http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...t/newnut1.html are well worth a read.

Get Rob Meldrum's mandolin set up e book. That will show you what you need for minimum setup work. Surprisingly, the make your own fret files actually work. Do check out the frets.com site for fretwork. I used Frank Ford's sandpaper attached to a wood plane tool for leveling, and his sandpaper fret crowning method. Worked fine. I still remember asking Frank what fret files he used and my surprise when he said sandpaper.

I have also adopted the pick as a height measure RosaStringa Works uses. I have a 1.2 pick. If it slides under and is barely held by the strings at the 7th fret, it's about right. Check out the Rosa YouTube channel for a lot of mando set up info. Everyone does things a little differently, so take that into consideration.

It is really a good thing to know how to do.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Roger M

Thanks "sonic", that sounds like sound advice, which echoes my own ideas, but I was unsure if they were good enough. I will have a go at adapting some existing fine files that I have and ask around for a piece of ali or stainless bar.

Roger M

Thanks "Brick", I like the idea of using a plane as the support for the leveling of the frets, likewise using picks as string height gauges.

A set of rifle "sand bags" come in handy too, you can pick them up on evilbay or at a lot of gunshops. They are designed to support the front and rear of a rifle but work just as well for mandolin necks.

Roger M

I will look to see if these are available in the UK, but I don't want the government security people thinking I am some sort of sniper!

I use wooden supports that are like an inverted T with a wedge cut it the leg (which is now on top) leather glued to the wedge. It will cradle any instrument nicely. They are easy to make, and I have several at different heights.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have built up an assorted bag of tools, some dedicated luthier items and others adapted or cannibalised over the years. I particularly find fine needle files, a small slotting saw, good clamps and my Dremels useful. I have fret crowning files but I think I've only used them once in about 30 years. Frank Ford's site is a very good reference and I've read some very good tips on here.

10. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
    I will look to see if these are available in the UK, but I don't want the government security people thinking I am some sort of sniper!
    Here's an idea: make a pouch [size and material of your choice] and fill it with small dried beans and sew it shut. It's not as heavy as using the metal shot in the rifle bags but you're just trying to get a flexible support for your instrument, right?
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

12. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

I meant to say nut slot files instead of fret files in an earlier post. Made from feeler gauges.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

14. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

My bags are filled with poly beads rather than the heavy sand that some use. An old sock filled with rice, dried peas or similar will do the job. You can adapt various tools to do set up work. I have used of cuts with a groove in them with a strip of wet and dry to polish frets but using your finger works just as well.

16. The following members say thank you to sonic for this post: