Thread: David Gage's The Realist Mandolin Pickup

Default David Gage's The Realist Mandolin Pickup

I had to replace my Realist Mandolin Pickup about 8 months after I bought it, due to it shorting out. It was covered by the warranty and was replaced free of charge. I now have to either replace it again or have it repaired for the same reason. Has anyone else had this experience? To be fair, I love the sound that I get through the pickup, but I hold my breath every time I have to use it. Also, feel free to recommend other pickups. I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini Amp with their Platinum Pro EQ, but am inexperienced when it comes to the "electrical" side of things. Thanks for your help!

Default Re: David Gage's The Realist Mandolin Pickup

I have not used this particular pickup, but don't like the idea of something under the foot of my bridge. I have had a K&K in my mando for years with no problem and love the sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have not used this particular pickup, but don't like the idea of something under the foot of my bridge. I have had a K&K in my mando for years with no problem and love the sound.
    Thanks for replying! What's the model of the K&K you own and how is it installed?

It is the mandolin pickup and it is glued under the top at the edge of the bridge. I did not glue mine directly to the top, I glued it to the tape, then glued a second piece of tape to that and glued that to the top. I think the tape warms the sound slightly, but is not dependable so I glued the tape in.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have recently fitted JJB pickups to a mandolin and an octave and am very happy with the results. Twin piezo units which are glued to the inside of the soundboard under the bridge. The site is at

http://jjb-electronics.com/index.html.

They use the same components as some of the major names in the pickup world and offer an excellent and speedy service. I am in the UK and have had excellent service in my dealings with Jesse who runs the business. I stress NFI!
    Last edited by John Kelly; Jan-15-2017 at 4:37pm. Reason: typo
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I've had great luck with a Schertler DYN-M mandolin pickup (with a carpenter jack). Not the least expensive pickup, but great tone, and I installed it (right behind the bridge).
    Sheryl --- Me

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini Amp with their Platinum Pro EQ,
    Fishman Making Piezo Pickups as the signal source, Undoubtedly have a Input expecting that
    type of High Impedance signal,
    So I Expect either of those other Pickups also of the Piezo electric type will probably be fine ..
    K&K, JJB, Schatten ..

and several Others ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mcH View Post
    I've had great luck with a Schertler DYN-M mandolin pickup (with a carpenter jack). Not the least expensive pickup, but great tone, and I installed it (right behind the bridge).
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Fishman Making Piezo Pickups as the signal source, Undoubtedly have a Input expecting that
    type of High Impedance signal,
    So I Expect either of those other Pickups also of the Piezo electric type will probably be fine ..
    K&K, JJB, Schatten ..

and several Others ..
    Thanks. I've decided to go for the repair and then, when it shorts out again, to start looking.

Love the K&K pickups. I have one in my guitar and one in my mandolin. Sounds great with no feedback.
    Eastman MD515 with K&K pickup
    Lakewood acoustic guitar with K&K pickup

another upvote for K&K
    I have the standard twin in my F4 and the big twin in my zouk. very happy with both installations. You can find plenty of installation how-to videos on youtube if you're curious as to how they go in. Took me 10 minutes to get it done on the zouk.

I have no experience with the Gahe mandolin pickup but the bass pickup is known for reliability problems. It also is known to damage the top of the instrument.