Thread: Lesson Plans

Default Lesson Plans

Hi Y'all,
    I need some help. Cash strapped and unable to commit to a regular lesson slot in a shop, I was wondering if there are any pre-canned lesson plans that are out there that you all would recommend. For some background, I would consider myself an intermediate player, and I mostly play bluegrass and country. I can read music and have a moderate understanding of music theory. What I am looking for is a lesson routine to help with my speed and accuracy, as well as my improvisation skills. I know sam bush and mike marshall have video series, are either of those worth looking into?

Thanks!

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Default Re: Lesson Plans

Hey Bob:
    Have you thought about Skype lessons? Even if you could only take (2) lessons per month, it would be beneficial and more affordable. Here's a link to free lessons listed on the Cafe. Also look at this resource available here on the Cafe.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

3. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

gtani7 

Joe Walsh has a series of lessons called The Advancing Mandolinist on Peghead Nation. Covers everything from bluegrass to fiddle tunes, dawg to swing. Designed for intermediate players. Joe teaches songs and tunes, breaking down the melody, chords, scales and associated soloing theory. Only $20/month. Great content and a fabulous value.
    Mitch Russell

5. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

gtani7 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

The answer to your question is "YES." Sam Bush All About Lead Mandolin and All About Rhythm Mandolin are excellent for intermediate and advanced players/students, and Mike Marshall's Mandolin Fundamentals For All Players is true to the title, this set is great for beginners - advanced intermediate players. This is just my biased opinion, as I own those and other Homespun Video lessons and benefit from them. I am of the opinion that Mike Marshall's Fundamentals should be included with every mandolin purchase, that's how good the set is.

Tip: Sign up for Homespun Videos' mailing list if you haven't already. You'll receive weekly coupon codes to get big savings off certain lessons each week. By this method, despite being financially unable to commit to a monthly fee for local lessons, I've accumulated:

Sam Bush - All About Lead Mandolin!
    Sam Bush - All About Rhythm Mandolin! - These two are for intermediate level players, I think, and very good stuff
    Caterina Lichtenburg - Basic Techniques of Classical Mandolin - Great, and basic, good for beginners +
    Chris Thile - Essential Techniques For Mandolin - Haven't gotten into this one yet
    David Grisman Teaches Mandolin - Intermediate/advanced, audio only
    Mike Marshall's Arpeggio Workout For Mandolin - An intermediate level course for strengthening arpeggio usage
    Mike Marshall - Mandolin Fundamentals Vol. 1
    Mike Marshall - Mandolin Fundamentals Vol. 2 - IMHO every beginner mandolin player should own these
    The Mandolin of Norman Blake - Norman and Nancy simply show you how to play some tunes
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

7. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

gtani7 

Professional Green Horn WmBuoymaster's Avatar

I've spent a week on mandolessons.com and have learned a ton very quickly.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

mandolessons.com got me started very well when I decided to learn the mandolin; you can't go wrong for a place to learn a bunch of tunes with plenty of help from Baron at mandolessons.com

Great resource for beginners IMHO
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff