Thread: Stand and cable work arounds??

Default Stand and cable work arounds??

Hey folks, recently purchased an Ingles violin stand after seeing great reviews here on the site. Its a nice piece of kit and I feel confident leaving my instrument on it during practices and services. I play primarily in church, and always plugged in to the onboard pup. My issue is that when I am plugged in the cable sticks out too far, hitting the ground, and the mando won't sit into the stand. Frustrating. So far I've placed it at the edge of a stage lip so the cable hangs over the edge. My heart is in my throat the whole time about it falling. I don't want to use an angled plug as I've replaced several acoustic guitar endpin jacks because of damage from those plugs over time (torsion damage mostly, one from being pulled out by the cable by an inexperienced sound guy ). The mando is an Eastman 605, if it matters.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions that worked for you? I want the mando as close to the ground as possible, and plugging/unplugging to the case is not an option during services.
    Last edited by Brian Sullivan; Jan-11-2017 at 11:05am.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stand and cable work arounds??

Cables with a right-angle plug are the smart thing to use. I am always unnerved to see straight plugs sticking out of the endpin of a guitar or mandolin. It's damage waiting to happen.

Taylor's right-angle cable with the included volume control is handy. I like George L cables, mainly the thinner type (1/8"). The right-angle plug is really small and discreet. Great on violins, especially, which is why I started using them.
    Blog--Miniature Orchestra
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    Videos--YouTube
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

A muting pedal would allow you to isolate it so it could be unplugged without issues downstream.
    You'd just stomp on the pedal as you finish then pop the connector once done.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

4. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

JL277z 

Really?? Right angle cable. I'm surprised. I've had nothing but trouble with those on acoustic instruments so far. When they are in the stand they hang so unevenly. That unnerves me. Do you suggest running the cable from a angled plug up and behind the strap, as you would on an electric or bass?
    Eastman 605
    $20 Antares, my beloved MSO (mandolin shaped object)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

I want to live in a world in which music is a verb.

Hello Brian, have you considered the angled ZZYZX Snap Jack cables? They have magnetic connectors, so that they can easily be disconnected, I believe that they are designed to do this without banging and popping. I have one that I used to use in an electric band. You could either disconnect it when you put it in the stand, or use the angled connector and hopefully the magnetic connection would break first if there was any danger of damage. I'm not sure if they are available in the U.S. though.
    Rob

My YouTube Channel
    My Book - The Solstice Blade - featuring zero mandolin content!

I always use good (switchcraft) angle plugs. It allows the cord to hang straight down when playing. I never use a stand anymore after having a few instruments damaged when on them. It's either playing or case for me. A mute on your preamp or some kind of mute allows you to unplug to go on a stand so you don't have to worry, it also means if someone trips on the cord it won't pull your instrument over.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

JL277z 

Beanzy, the mute pedal is not a bad idea. Thanks for that.

Rob, how have I never heard of these? A bit pricey, but peace of mind usually is. How do you find their sound and durability? Obviously plugged in I know I will never have the most pristine sound, but its nice to consider such things. Durability is hopefully high with the cost being what it is.

Thanks all for the quick input so far!
    Eastman 605
    $20 Antares, my beloved MSO (mandolin shaped object)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

I want to live in a world in which music is a verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sullivan View Post
    Rob, how have I never heard of these? A bit pricey, but peace of mind usually is. How do you find their sound and durability? Obviously plugged in I know I will never have the most pristine sound, but its nice to consider such things. Durability is hopefully high with the cost being what it is.
    I haven't used them in anger for a while, but from memory they very well made, and the magnets were strong. I would occasionally "snap" the jack accidentally by treading on it, but I suppose that was partly the point: the jack disconnected rather than damaging the instrument! As for sound, I was never very good at hearing the subtle differences between bits of electrical equipment, but I never had any complaints from other band members!
    Last edited by Rob Beck; Jan-11-2017 at 11:46am. Reason: to include quote
    Rob

My YouTube Channel
    My Book - The Solstice Blade - featuring zero mandolin content!

You can also get a plug with a switch that shorts out the input like your amp when you unplug it. Keeps it from making any noise so you can unplug to change instruments or just unplug silently. I still have one from long ago, but never used them much. I haven't seen the magnetic ones for a while and forgot about them.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Spectra flex uses quality ends, one is 90 degree, if your troubles are not with the wire itself ,

you can always solder on a different cable end.

i have seen the snap jack in use, hot swapped between players.

magnet sticks the cable to the mic stand, then the plug in the instrument
    was handed to the next player, who plugged it in , then re connected the magnet
    to the cord and amp.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use a gibson cable that has a slider on the plug. silent when unplugged. I swap instruments and hated diddling with volumes

https://www.long-mcquade.com/46038/G..._ft_-_Blue.htm
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

The cheap way to do the job is to use pipe insulation on the stand lower arms. The standard tube type. It will raise the mandolin higher and the jack will clear the ground. It works for me.

15. The following members say thank you to RichardF for this post: