Thread: help diagnose amp and/or effects

Default help diagnose amp and/or effects

I'm a complete amplification and effects pedals n00b. I hear sounds I've heard in music all my life without ever considering how they're made, but I'm coming to grips with my first emando and suddenly I want to know, but the field is so broad that I don't know where to begin.

Above is a track by Tim Eriksen, singing Rudyard Kipling's arch lyric about about 19th C smugglers, Poor Honest Men, to the tune of Spanish Ladies. It ends (beginning around 2:25) in a glorious electric guitar meltdown. Can anyone give me any clues about how he's getting that sound? I'd be a happy man if I could make my mandocaster do that.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

Dave Sheets

Default Re: help diagnose amp and/or effects

To me, that sounds like two electric guitar parts. Not a lot of effects running there really, distortion and/or overdrive, could be a pedal, could be just the amp (probably a tube amp). Perhaps compression as well. I'd probably try to replicate this sound using a compressor followed by a distortion pedal as a starting point.

Do have fun.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

s1m0n 

Get a looper pedal. Add lots of distortion and turn everything up to 11. You should be able to find something similar.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Get a looper pedal. Add lots of distortion and turn everything up to 11. You should be able to find something similar.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    The Michael J Fox, Back to the Future method!
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

6. The following members say thank you to vwfye for this post:

lenf12 

Quote Originally Posted by vwfye View Post
    The Michael J Fox, Back to the Future method!
    Or Spinal Tap...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Does anyone make a Flux Capacitor pedal?
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

9. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Does anyone make a Flux Capacitor pedal?
    Yes there are several models, even a special mandolin version optimized for the mandolin frequency range and overtones.

But the problem is that a regular pedalboard power supply is not up to the task of providing the required 1.21 gigawatts to power the pedal. And it seems that all online retailers are currently out-of-stock of the special high-capacity power supply.

Alternatively, you could try hooking up the pedal to 8,066,666,670 hamster wheels. Supposedly each hamster generates 50mA @ 3V. (Source: article 11 Things That Can Actually Make 1.21 Gigawatts Of Power).

(Personally, I'd go with gerbils rather than hamsters. Gerbils seem to be more active. Yeah they're all nocturnal, but gerbils run that wheel *all* night whereas hamsters seem to prefer frequent breaks. You might not even need 8 billion gerbils, perhaps 6 billion.)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

Overdrive, delay and flange or phaser ... I dig it
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1