Thread: 10 years in...

Default 10 years in...

Was going through my journals and realized I got my first mandolin in January 2007, so I've now been ten years on this journey. I'm not nearly as proficient as I should be but I'm having more fun than I thought possible. I thought I'd show some pics of the instruments I've owned during this time.

My first was a Kentucky KM350S that I bought on eBay for $62. It was new but had been pretty much destroyed and repaired. It sounded great (loud!) and I ended up selling it here for $100. Wish now I had kept it.

Next was a StewMac kit mandolin a friend and I made. We had a great time building it, but I deviated from the plans quite a bit and ended up with a nice wall-hanger and that's about it.

Then came my Eastman 505 that I played for about six years. Bought here for 4 bills and now in the hands of another Cafe member.

Finally, my Collings MT that I plan on being my lifelong player. My wife bought me this for Christmas a few years ago after much scrimping, saving, and cutting corners in the context of a large, single-income family. So it is special to me in many ways.

Thanks for reading about my mandolin journey thus far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christian 010.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	588.8 KB 
ID:	152792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	today 061.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	152793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	today 154.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	152794  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9415.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	152795  

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 10 years in...

Hi Caleb and congrats on your 10 yr. anniversary with a mandolin. Interesting that you were already a Cafe member, at least for a little while before getting that first one.

Got my first one as a gift around 8 yrs ago. Barely touched it for a couple of years...then joined up here for advice.

Yeah, congratulations on your 10 years - I'm on 5 years this January.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny60 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Hi Caleb and congrats on your 10 yr. anniversary with a mandolin. Interesting that you were already a Cafe member, at least for a little while before getting that first one.

Got my first one as a gift around 8 yrs ago. Barely touched it for a couple of years...then joined up here for advice.
    Yeah, a salesman in a local shop demonstrated some chords on a mandolin for me sometime in the Autumn of 2006. Shortly after this I found the Cafe and started reading, asking questions, etc. I didn't have much money at the time for a new hobby, so I waited till I found a great deal on a mandolin before jumping in.

7. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You stuck with it and got yourself a beautiful mandolin! It must have been a good 10 years. Here's to the next decade.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gelsenbury For This Useful Post:

Caleb, reading a brief history of your journey has given me inspiration and hope on what I have plans for myself with mandolin.

Also congrats on finding a great mando that speaks to you deeply! (I'm still searching)
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

11. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

Caleb 

Hi Caleb - I beat you by 7 months. I got my first mandolin,a Michael Kelly 'Legacy' in July 2006,then traded it in for my 1st Lebeda F5 in Sept. 2006.
    I've come a long way since my first attempts at keeping a pick on the same side of the room as myself,but it's been more enjoyable that i'd ever have thought. I must say that being a member of the Mandolin Cafe has been a big part of it. I've learned a lot of new things,i've had a lot of things explained to me that i was a bit 'woolly' about & on it goes.
    Enjoy your playing Sir !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I just loooked at my join date here because I bought a mandolin then did an internet search and came here... I can't believe it's been 6 yrs already for me
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Blog Entries

Congrats on 10. Someone here used to quote that the 'only way to sound like you've been playing for 10 years is to have played for 10 years" or something like that. Now you know!

I sometimes wish there was a consensus on expectations. What you should expect to accomplish after 1 month, 1 year, 3 years etc. Part of me wants a yardstick to evaluate my progress after 4 years and the other part just wants to enjoy the journey.

Here's to 10 more!

Congratulations on 10 years. I started around 9 months ago, so I am way behind you. For those wondering about their progress, I think the secret is to wonder about whether you are having fun or not instead of worrying about whether you are meeting some outside goal about expectations. If you are having fun you are doing it right.

Around 40 years ago I made this journey with classical guitar and I ended up quitting because meeting my own expectations became so difficult I just wasn't having fun any more.

The mandolin is pretty much by definition more fun than CG. And having fun is the goal.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RodCH For This Useful Post:

I agree that having fun should be the main thing. Another part is getting a bit older. I was in my early 30s when I began mandolin and ideas of "getting good" were still very much a part of my thinking (as they had always been with guitar since I began at 18). It just seemed natural to watch guys like Thile et al and shoot for that.

I started learning (or trying to learn) fiddle tunes and popular pieces among mandolin players, in hopes that once I met all these people at festivals and gatherings, I'd be able to fit right in. Years rolled by and I never met those folks or found such festivals to attend (pretty sparse in my area).

It dawned on me that I was spending much of my playing time on music I didn't really want to play for people I was never going to meet. And even after five or so years, I still couldn't pull off St. Anne's Reel at full tempo. I just don't understand how people can play so fast and so clean. Perhaps a teacher could have helped me over that invisible hurdle. Bluegrass techniques elude me.

And at some point I realized I didn't want to do that stuff anyway, so then came freedom. Now I just play whatever my ear grabs for me to play. I make up a lot of my own tunes, and since I play alone 99% of the time, this is okay to do. And during the rare times that I get to play with others, nine times out of ten no one has ever heard of Whisky Before Breakfast, St. Anne's Reel, etc.

I don't want to go on and on, but all that to say: I've just made having fun and enjoying myself the only goal now.

19. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Happy Anniversary! To have the one you love appreciate your love of music and encourage it's process is more than special. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

21. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Caleb 

Congratulations! Sounds like you've had a good time since the beginning. Your StewMac might make a great clock and make it functional at least- may not play very well but it looks great . It will be 2 years in June since I started and I still have some really disappointing practices but am hanging in there.
    I'm taking Beginners Jam session classes and it's encouraging to be with other beginners- I hear enough wrong notes/cords from others that I don't mind so much now when I mess up. There were 16 of us at first-violins,acoustic guitar,banjos, and 3 of us on mandolins. It sounded like a free for all- really comical. The group is dwindling down- I was the only Mando the last session. I take an individual lesson on alternate weeks.
    Your Collings MT is really nice. Thanks for sharing your journey.
    2014 Rogue
    2014 Weber F Gallatin
    2012 Ison F Jewel
    2016 Taylor GS Mini Guitar
    2015 Weber Yellowstone

I'm not even a year in, but I recently got something that immediately accelerated my playing. It was a metronome. I found I was playing faster than I could, and had a certain percentage of notes that sounded,but not cleanly. I forced myself to slow down and play cleanly, then bump the tempo. Slower and precise is better than fast and sloppy.

I hope I live long enough to get ten years in. LOL
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Congrats on the anniversary Caleb,... we've exchanged an few PM'sin the past and I so appreciate your kind advice, encouragement and wisdom.

I'm only into this for about a year and a half, so here's to the next 10 years for you to anniversary number 20 for you and 11.5 for me!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

26. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Caleb 

Congrats on 10 years Caleb! Didn't you also start the Travelling Pick Sampler? That is quite a contribution to this community.

I just started in November 2015 so I'm in just over a year after 30+ years of guitar and 4 years of ukulele. After a year of working on technical goals like playing cleanly and learning scales and arpeggios, it dawned on me that I was missing the music part after reading a blog here by JeffD.

I also learned a bunch of fiddle tunes and bluegrass songs that I liked but didn't really love, so now I'm really trying to look a music like a language I need to learn and music as stories I would like to tell. The music theory I've been studying is starting to take hold and I'm excited that there's so much more to learn.

This has become my main source of entertainment and joy and it not only satisfies my soul but also saves me a lot of money! I used to play 60 rounds of golf a year.

Best wishes on your next 10 years!
    2009 Phoenix Bluegrass

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewKid For This Useful Post:

Calebsoliver 

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid View Post
    Didn't you also start the Travelling Pick Sampler? That is quite a contribution to this community.
    Yeah, I thought it would be fun for this wonderful community. Glad it has worked out and stayed in circulation (both of them now).

30. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

From Mark Wilson - "I sometimes wish there was a consensus on expectations.". Wouldn't that be something !. I wonder how many of us would reach them ?.

As we all understand (or should do),what we can accomplish in a set amount of time,depends on our abilities & how much time / effort we put into playing,& that, 'realistically', depends on how much time we can afford. Folks with a fulltime job & a family to look after don't usually have huge amounts of time. Others,like myself,retired for the past 9 years,have had as much time as we'd ever need,all day if need be.

Our individual talents will be greater or lesser. Musicians such as Chris Thile / John Reischman & others,seem to have been born with a ''mandolin chromosone'',the rest of us, without !. Seriously,some individuals as we know,seem to be able to play far more quickly than others. IMHO - they have some inate ability that enables them to do this,what it is we might never know,but we see these individuals all the time - however,they still put a lot of work into their playing. The 'inate' talent might be there,but to make the most of it demands work,effort & usually,huge amounts of it !!. It's like to old joke - '' How do i get to Carnegie Hall ? - Practice,practice,practice'' & ain't that the truth ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

In my journey with guitar (16 years) and mandolin (14 years), I found that when I had been playing for 6 months, or a year or two, that people were very impressed with my abilities. They'd ask how long I have played and say wow! Then 5 years came along and that faded to sort of an OK cool response. Now if I say 14 years they think, well yea you ought to be OK by now!

It seems every time you turn around there are amazing new pickers that have been playing longer than they have been walking. Gotta just keep finding the joy in it and not worry about competing too much.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

33. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

I'll be at 2 years in a couple of weeks.

10 years--wow--cool.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?