Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1923 Gibson A2 mandolin

Default Re: 1923 Gibson A2 mandolin

Thank you for your input, all of you!

Interesting mando. What was the original color? If Sheraton brown, Id go with A-2. If pumpkin I'd go with A-1. If black, Not sure.
    Body looks like an A-2 but neck looks like an A-1. I have seen A snakeheads that have tortoise binding on the back. Could this be one like that?

Just to offer some specs on another snakehead Gibson;I have before me serial number 79778;the number stamped on the neck block is 8154. It has a black top,gold stencil on the headstock"The Gibson",white binding on top,unbound back which I believe is birch. The fretboard on this mando has been replaced by Don MacRostie;it is bound, and radiused.
    Replacement tuners.
    The soundhole on this mando has a single band of white binding that looks to be 1/8 inch wide with white/black strips/rings on each side.
    Not sure of the manufacture date on mine? Not sure if it's an "A" or "A1". Hard to read the label.

Forgot to mention that the bridge on this instrument isn't original. Thumbwheels too big and in the wrong place.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Deanbix,that is a very cool looking mandolin! Thanks for the pics.

Pretty wide variation in serial numbers between my 79778 and the OP's 73xxx. Were that many snakeheads made in,what,a few years time? Just wondering.
    I don't have Spann's book. What is the date of manufacture for FON 8154? Thanks in advance for any kind soul supplying the date.
    Really enjoying getting back into mandolins;especially the vintage Gibsons.
    Thanks to OP for this thread.

PS:I love the dimensions of the Loar-era snakeheads' necks being narrower/thinner.
    Have only one F5 with similar dimensions,a Monroe model from'93.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    I don't have Spann's book. What is the date of manufacture for FON 8154? Thanks in advance for any kind soul supplying the date.
    The Spann book implies the date of manufacture for FON 8154 is (late) 1925.

MikeyG

If you want to discuss a different mandolin, it's really helpful to start your own thread.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

You're right,mrmando. My sincere apologies for discussing a different mandolin than the original poster's. I will certainly try to do better in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    You're right,mrmando. My sincere apologies for discussing a different mandolin than the original poster's. I will certainly try to do better in the future.
    Pal, "Live and learn, die and, forget it all!" As a friend of long standing once told me.
    Life's too short to get very worried about a simple posting slip, I've gone off on tangents many times...look a squirrel!

Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Deanbix View Post
    Hi Ray, I have tried reading them and it looks like 73583, but when I compare those to the Gibson website that number is not listed. The factory order number is clearly stamped 11866, but again, that number does not seem to ring any bells on their website-maybe Im looking at the wrong website?
    This puts the mandolin clearly mid '23. My '23 A2 (real A2) is 73922 and 11865 FON

Again, some slight serial mismatches, but I base that on a couple days here or there in assigning the serials
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Deanbix View Post
    I suppose I do mean the binding (that white border that holds the back and sides together). It was a great refinish, I will post some pictures when I get time. Thanks
    Actually No, FYI, it is just a finishing step*, the kerfed strip you see inside
    is actually what the top and sides are glued to..

*A Jr. is one from old Gibson line , skips, the decorative edge binding..
    [Weber has a Basic model finished like that.. too]

It does protect the softer spruce top edge , so does have that function..
    My 22 'A' has front, but no back edge binding,
    but those materials are a harder wood Birch or Maple, than the top..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture