Thread: JazzMando flatwound strings - what's an equivalent today

Default JazzMando flatwound strings - what's an equivalent today

Three or four years ago I got some JazzMando JM11 strings. They are flatwound, made (I think) by Labella, and promoted on the packaging as being suited to 'jazz, swing, cerebral folk and classical'.

I forgot about them until recently, when I put a set on my no-name 1970s F5. They are an absolute delight to play. But now, unfortunately, they are no longer on the market.

Other than Thomastiks, are there any other flatwound brands/sets similar to the lovely JM11s? (They are flatwound on the G and D courses, plain steel on A and E courses). The gauges are 11, 15, 24 and 34.

rm

Default Re: JazzMando flatwound strings - what's an equivalent today

Maybe an e-mail to Jazz Mando via their website is in order :- http://jazzmando.com/contact_jazzmando.shtml
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

They had a problem with the A strings in the Jazzmando sets and Ted Eschliman spent considerable time and effort replacing them for people. Shortly afterwards, they stopped selling them although I have a couple of sets left. They were quite popular with National RM-1 owners.

As far as I'm aware, the only equivalents are the Thomastics although you might like to check out whether La-Bella still make anything similar. As an alternative, many of the RM-1 fraternity have gone over to D'Addario Flat Tops so you might like to try those.

4. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

EFW74s are a D'Addario product that have some similarity to Tomastic strings. Flatwound, of a medium gauge, flat ribbon wound on a hex core. I use them on both an F5 and A4 style instruments. Not a real boomy sounding string, but my mandolins are loud by nature and I seek tone much more than volume. The true, clear sound of the box, rather than the string, is what my ears are looking for. The playability is silky smooth. Never having used the Jazzmando or LaBella sets, no comparison forthcoming. Bronze wound is not a sound I want. Sounds fine on my (several) friends instruments. Not for me. Strings are cheap fun. Try a bunch. Could take years, it did for me. Your ears and your instrument will tell you what you like.
    Mike Snyder

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Snyder For This Useful Post:

there was a long thread a while back about this, you might find it with a search, I ended up going with guitar strings , making up my own set along the lines and of the jm's

I'm using the D'Addario EFW74s. They have a slightly darker sound and feel nice on the fingers.
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

9. The following members say thank you to guidoStow for this post:

Thanks for the information. Because of where I live, I have to depend on friends bringing strings to me. One friend is soon to visit the USA, so a request for a few sets of EFW74s might be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    ...so a request for a few sets of EFW74s might be in order.
    You won't be sorry Ron. I use them on a '16 F-4 and they sound sublime and feel great. No wound A strings like the T-I's but at 1/4 the price you shouldn't miss them.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

12. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

I have been using the EFW-74 set since they came out and love them. Tried the Jazzmando/LaBella set before that and like the D'Addario set much better.
    If you liked the Jazzmando strings, the EFW 74 set is much closer in tone and feel than the Thomastik-Infeld strings. The TI strings have a sound all their own.

14. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I also use the EFW-74 set on my RM-1 and they are good. I still have one or two sets of JM-11s which I use on my Nava and I am sorry to see them go. I think e-Mando (Martin Stillion of this parish) will also make up flatwound sets.

16. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

It's rare (and a pleasure) to find such a consensus of opinions. EFW74s it is, then

The jazzmando strings were made by La Bella. I now use the EFW74's.