Thread: Onion vs. Shallot

Default Onion vs. Shallot

In a very interesting article describing what a Celtic mandolin is on NK Forster's website he has the following statement:
    A “Celtic mandolin” tends to be shaped rather like an onion as opposed to American mandolins which are more like a shallot.”
    Mr. Forster goes much further describing differences in tone-woods, bracing, carved vs flat tops and the like.
    I would like to ask those that are familiar with both the Gibson and the Sobell inspired mandolins to describe how they contrast and compare. Thanks.
    Last edited by red7flag; Jan-05-2017 at 5:17pm. Reason: Poor typing
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Onion vs. Shallot

Really, there's no comparison between shallots and onions. Onions are coarse, strong, forming a substantial base for most dishes. In contrast Shallots are supple, subtle, and relatively mellow, perhaps less of a mixed bass through treble, more of a refined mid-range. For those into shellfish, the difference in sailor's mussels with shallots v. onions is striking. On the other hand, I never see anyone caramelize a shallot and then layer less cooked shallots over it!

I am thinking most of the "Celtic" mandolins I can think of are flat. The Sobell (I think, maybe there are 2 spellings) I have worked on are indeed more of an arched family with the differing attack and sustain characteristics typical of the body construction.

Although I would much rather debate cooking!
    Stephen Perry

3. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

Blog Entries

Can you imagine Bill Monroe and 'shallots' in the same picture? All I can get is something like 'that there's the sorriest lookin onion I ever did see'.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

I don't think there is any significant difference between those shapes (and I only play what might be described as "Celtic" music). More significant factors are the differences between flat top and carved arch top, bracing for either type, tonewoods used for the top, and the individual luthier's goal for tone.

I've heard video sound clips of NK Forster's instruments and they sound great. On the other hand, most of the mandolin players in the Irish/Scottish vein I listen to play Gibson-derived instruments, but I don't think that means anything. This music can work on anything that's playable with decent volume, so I reject the whole idea of a "Celtic mandolin." Some Cafe members here are even using National RM-1 resonators. Talk about non-trad!

Personally, I play a Gibson-derived F-style mandolin (Lebeda), which looks more Bluegrass than Celtic, but I like the way it sounds and I've never been kicked out of an Irish or Scottish session for having a silly scroll on top. With Irish/Scottish and related trad, it's more about getting deep into the music, than what specific instrument you're playing.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Well I have a Hathway and a Flatiron A with f holes. The Hathway is more onion shape, although not as much as some, but it's also a flat-top, round hole and I think cedar.

One big caveat with my impressions below, the Flatiron sounds quite different standing in front of it than it does playing it. I will tell you what I hear as I play it, but the brief times I have stood in front of it the A sounded brighter, louder and better balanced.

While the Hathway isn't as bright as many similar mandolins, such as the Fyldes I have heard, it's still much brighter than the Flatiron with more sustain and better balance across the strings, it also has less 'richness' (or is cleaner).

A Sobell is a different beast again, I have sat with Sobell and Weber OMs and would take the Sobell any day, although the rooms I hear then in are quite different so I would really like a fairer comparison.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

9. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

It's onion vs fiddlehead fern.

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

11. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Green bean v fiddlehead fern, Bertram.
    It strikes me as kind of an odd statement, but, I like to cook. We should get together Stephen! Cocktails and some time in the kitchen!
    "Take that saddle off the cook stove grandma, you're too old to ride the range!"
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Green bean v fiddlehead fern, Bertram.
    It strikes me as kind of an odd statement, but, I like to cook. We should get together Stephen! Cocktails and some time in the kitchen!
    "Take that saddle off the cook stove grandma, you're too old to ride the range!"
    I'm right near Gatlinburg, more or less, and always welcome the cookers. Outdoors in the summer, indoors in the winter. The workshop is 3 feet to my left and the kitchen 15 feet to my right! How about shrimp etouffee?
    Stephen Perry

[QUOTE=Timbofood;
    "Take that saddle off the cook stove grandma, you're too old to ride the range!"[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny right there.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Shrimp etouffe sounds dandy! I work the same way five grills outside, one old range inside, fridge nor freezer ever of sufficient size!

The quote is actually from the late great U. Utah Phillips, R.I.P.
    When he used the line I passed half a cup of coffee through my nose!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Onions versus shallots, hmmm... I have an old Gibson A4, a newer **** A5, and a Sobell (spruce/maple) mando, and they are all quite different. Compared with the vintage A4s and newer A5s (the differences between those styles have been well described on this site), the Sobell has a very bright, clear "ring" to it and much more sustain -- a "warmer, sweeter" sound. I love it as a solo instrument or in a small group, but prefer the projection of the A5 style at larger sessions (or defer to the tenor banjo!). Give a listen to some of Kevin Macleod's Scottish tracks posted on this site. Construction is quite different -- the Sobell has deeper, larger body and the carved top and bottom does not "flare" at the edges like the old Gibs. Also has a much wider nut. His mandolin style is designed as (sort of) a scaled down version of his OM.
    Too many instruments...too little time

17. The following members say thank you to BBarton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I don't think there is any significant difference between those shapes (and I only play what might be described as "Celtic" music). More significant factors are the differences between flat top and carved arch top, bracing for either type, tonewoods used for the top, and the individual luthier's goal for tone.

I've heard video sound clips of NK Forster's instruments and they sound great. On the other hand, most of the mandolin players in the Irish/Scottish vein I listen to play Gibson-derived instruments, but I don't think that means anything. This music can work on anything that's playable with decent volume, so I reject the whole idea of a "Celtic mandolin." Some Cafe members here are even using National RM-1 resonators. Talk about non-trad!

Personally, I play a Gibson-derived F-style mandolin (Lebeda), which looks more Bluegrass than Celtic, but I like the way it sounds and I've never been kicked out of an Irish or Scottish session for having a silly scroll on top. With Irish/Scottish and related trad, it's more about getting deep into the music, than what specific instrument you're playing.
    For me it's just got to be loud enough to hold it's own, in a one-mando section, with six or eight fiddlers. And do that while playing fast, which bluegrass instruments are designed to accommodate, so I find the bluegrass-style mando better for engaging with the Celts I run with...

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    ... engaging with the Celts I run with...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Culloden-Moor-At-the-Moor-Gravestone-of-Clan-Cameron-sml.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	152883

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I've been to Culloden, and across the kyles of lochalsh (not much of a ride at the turn of the tide). I'm an Atlantic Islander myself.
    Stephen Perry

I really tried to like the taste of fiddleheads, I do not, but I do like scrolls.