Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inside the Ellis and Pava Workshop

Default Re: Inside the Ellis and Pava Workshop

I think he's built 2-3 guitars as well.

What a great visit you had. Completely typical of his hospitality. I consider Tom to be a national treasure. He has been a significant force in the revival of mandolins in the USA. Always a pleasure to talk to and even though I live in Austin less than 2 miles from his house, I don't see him often enough. That is good for the mandolin community as it means he is busy building instruments etc.
    I have one Tom Ellis story though: As I arrived at the 2014 Austin Friends of Traditional Music Mid-Winter Festival, I saw Tom standing out front and talked with him a bit as did various other people. He must have been a bit distracted, because he left his mandolin case sitting outside all by itself when he went inside. I kept an eye on it until he came back. I am sure his stomach sank when he realized he had left it outside, but nothing to fear, the AFTM is an honest group.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Thank you for a worthwhile post: it's great to know there are still a few real real gents around like Tom Ellis who, whilst being true to themselves, enhance life (& music)for us ordinary folk!

Thanks for sharing your visit with Tom. I hope to get a chance to see visit the shop myself sometime soon. I recently had the opportunity to have some really interesting conversations with Tom and to have them do some fine work on my Ellis F5. Great folks. I'll look for you at the Great 48.

Blog Entries

Thanks much for the post. I recently acquired an A from Walter Carter and am very happy with it.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Fantastic post, many thanks.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Thanks for the post, makes me appreciate my Pava even more! (Okay, I already love it.....)

I'm a very happy owner of an Ellis F and 3 Pava's (2 Fs and an A); I love their instruments and really appreciated this look behind the scenes.