Thread: Newbie Question

Default Newbie Question

Greetings All,
    I eventually want to play my mandolin in church after I become somewhat proficient with the instrument. A good bit of the traditional hymns are done in E flat. Should I play the E flat songs with a capo or should I just learn how to play in the key of E flat?

If you recommend using a capo, what brand of capo should I purchase?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by Groundcoat View Post
    Greetings All,
    I eventually want to play my mandolin in church after I become somewhat proficient with the instrument. A good bit of the traditional hymns are done in E flat. Should I play the E flat songs with a capo or should I just learn how to play in the key of E flat?

There will be lots of opinions on this, for sure... some will say definitely learn to play in Eb. I say, eventually, sure. Over the near term, though, particularly since you're new to mandolin, and presuming that it doesn't too adversely affect other hymns that would be in friendlier keys, consider tuning everything down a half step. Then you get to play out of the mando-friendly key of D -- lots of easy two-finger chords, open strings, etc.

If Slash/GNR can tune down a half-step for Sweet Child O' Mine, why can't we?
    /* no comment */

One of the "tricks" to being able to play in any key is to learn Four Finger Closed Position major and minor scales. Once you understand the pattern, you can move the same fingerings anywhere on the fretboard to play in any key. I was actually playing in Eb yesterday. I wasn't thinking, "OK, Eb Major has 3 flats, Eb, Ab, Bb," I just dropped my index finger on the first fret of the D string and played.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

4. The following members say thank you to dwc for this post:

For starting out I agree with blawson or use a capo. any mandolin capo will do, as when you become more proficient you won't need it. I like a shubb capo, tho I don't have one for a mandolin they are my favorite guitar and banjo capos so I don't see why not mandolin. Have fun.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

On those few occasion when I use a capo on mandolin I use my Shrubb banjo/mandolin capo. Ironically it is usually at Church. Keyboards m-piano like flatts.