Thread: On the merits of the Kentucky KM 140

Default On the merits of the Kentucky KM 140

I recently picked up a Kentucky KM 140 from a friend's violin shop that is in the process of closing. The mando was purchased for $162 with a gig bag. The Km 140 has a solid carved spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides. The instrument was very well set-up and needed only minimal tweaking to suit my tastes. After a bit of basic set-up I gave it a speed neck, changed the strings to EXP 74s, installed a strap button, and removed the cheesy pickguard that rattled worse than my old VW.

This 140 is my new ultra low cost travel mando. My other travel mando is a Mid-Missouri that is a fine instrument in its own right and cost a lot more than the Kentucky. My primary mando is a Collings MT2V from 2005.

The new Kentucky is a blast to play and is well-suited to the blues, fiddle tunes and folk stuff I often play. It is not a bluegrass cannon like my Collings and that is okay - the Waverly tuners on my Collings cost more than twice the Kentucky!

The Kentucky is loud, on the bright side with a quick volume decay so the notes are there and gone which seems to work especially well for fast-paced blues. No complex overtones like my Collings; actually no overtones at all... I like the difference.

I used to look down my nose at low end mandos because they are often hard to play. This instrument has given me a new appreciation for what a budget mandolin can do.

If any of you newbies are looking for a great starter kit go get one of these. You are likely to pay a fair amount more than I did but you will still get your money's worth.

Sam

Default Re: On the merits of the Kentucky KM 140

My KM140 is my go to instrument for a lot of stuff - pretty much anywhere i might be accompanying someone with chords. I've had the chance to invest in a couple of much more expensive instruments, and each time rather than replace the 140, I've opted to go with something entirely different - a mandocello in one case and a Celtic style mandolin in another. No regrets having the 140 as a first mandolin and no intention of replacing it any time soon.

I could quote you almost word for word. It pretty much sums up my Michael Kelly. A huge amount of fun for not a lot of money, and some styles shine with a less refined tone.

Cheaper import instruments have come a long way the last ten years or so. I still lust for the really good stuff though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I bought a KM 140 a few months back from Elderly for $200 -- it was discounted because of a pretty inconsequential nick on it's edge. My main mandolin is a Kentucky 805, but I like the 140, too. I play it when I travel and at work. Maybe I'll pull it out at my beginner jam session when I playing chords, given what was said above.