Thread: Yet another Thomastik thread...

Question Yet another Thomastik thread...

This one is a short survey for those who have used the TI 174s:

1. What type of instrument do/did you use them on? (carved, flat, oval or F-hole)

2. What scale length, and what tuning do/did you use?

3. Is/was it played primarily for melody, chords, or both?

4. How do/did you like them?

I'm asking because I really want to get an OM that can use these strings tuned GDAE and sound decent. I know it will be short scale, and my preference is flat and round/oval hole. I am getting too impatient waiting for a particular someone whom I hope to have build me an OM with these 174s in mind from the get go. Hopefully that will still happen some day. But every time I see a nice looking short OM for sale, it gets my "wanter" going!

I would hate to make the plunge and buy something, only to have the strings not fit or be the wrong tension, or something. I won't consider using any other strings, as I can't stand round wound ones, and have been underwhelmed by all the other flatwounds I've tried.

I know I'm never going to find anything quite like what I'd have this builder make for me, but how long a scale would be too long for TI 174s? 20.5"? 20?" (As with my mandolas and the 164s, I would be willing to change out a tailpiece if everything else seemed favorable.)

Thanks!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Default Re: Yet another Thomastik thread...

Hi Bratsche,

I know that you already information on my OM, but for the sake of others searching this thread in the future, here are my answers to your questions. Good questions, BTW.

1. What type of instrument do/did you use them on? (carved, flat, oval or F-hole) My Weber highly-customized Absaroka. This is a carved top, D-hole instrument and to my knowledge, this is the only one Weber made like it. The plates are mandola and the ribs (sides) are OM, so it has a smaller front and back than most OMs, but with deeper sides than most mandolas. It is sort of a hybrid.

2. What scale length, and what tuning do/did you use? 18.5" GDAE

3. Is/was it played primarily for melody, chords, or both? Melody more than chords, but it works well for both. The short scale length really helps me to play melody lines I would struggle with on a longer-scaled instrument. The reaches for chords are easier, too.

4. How do/did you like them? Thomastic 174 Mediums are now my standard strings on this instrument. It also sounds good with D'Addario flat-tops, but I prefer the Thomastics. Thomastics are my standard strings on my two mandolins as well (a carved top and a flat-top). They may be pricey but their longevity and tone more than make up for it (YMMV).

Two other things I think are worth noting are the fret at which the neck joins the body and the greatest distance from the tuning pin to the tailpiece. On mine, the heel of the neck meets the body at the 16th fret (24 frets total) and the longest strings measure 30.5". Thomastics just make it with maybe an inch to spare.

OK, Bratsche, there are my answers. Too bad you live so far away, otherwise, you could come over and give it a try.

Happy New Year to you,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

3. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Default Re: Yet another Thomastik thread...

I suppose they only come with loop ends? My Buchanan has a pin bridge which would shorten the length needed.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

5. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

citeog