Thread: Up On The Housetop, mando + GDAEB guitar (Christmas song)

Smile Up On The Housetop, mando + GDAEB guitar (Christmas song)

My usual thing of stumbling my way through a new tune and trying to keep on pickin' even after making umpteen dozen mistakes... I'll learn it eventually... it actually *should* be a very easy tune to play if I'd resist the tempation to fiddle-tune-ize everything (never!) ha.

Anyway, two versions...

1. Mandolin with GDAEB guitar:

(or direct link)

2. Different take, simpler with less variations, mandolin with canned backing, but now that I re-listen to it the durned mandolin isn't quite in tune, oh well what else is new...

(or direct link)

Edited to add:
    Tech notes: The usual gear. $50 Rogue RM-100A mandolin with $29 stick-on Dean Markley pickup, Squier strat-copy electric guitar, everything plugged in to an old Roland Micro Cube amplifier set to "Acoustic" (with a little reverb for a more open room sound), Mackie 402VLZ4 mixer (otherwise my computer gets confused and makes weird echoes). The first video was recorded with Windows Movie Maker and the laptop's built-in webcam because I can't find my camcorder, then I had WMM export it as a MP4, then I got the audio tracks out of the two WMM videos (at an unfortunately-low bit rate so the sound is, um, worse than usual even for me), and then put the two tracks together in Audacity to make one .wav file, then matched up that wav file with the WMM-exported MP4 video using Adobe After Effects video editor (video effects only, it doesn't do any music effects, at least not that I'm aware of, in fact everyone says you're not supposed to use Adobe AE for music stuff, but anyway). Adobe AE is also where the snowflakes came from, it's fun to experiment although most of AE's capabilities are way over my head.
    Last edited by Jess L.; Dec-21-2016 at 10:38am. Reason: Added tech notes.

2. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Default Re: ... (easy Christmas songs playalong)

Practice midi BACKING TRACK with scrolling mandolin TAB of basic melody + octave-lower variant. Still time to learn some tunes before Christmas! You can get away with playing just the basic melody notes as written, as long as you have someone/something doing backing. Later on, you can spice it up with variants etc. There's two videos here, one at more-or-less regular speed, this one loops for almost 5 minutes for easier practice:

(or direct link)

And also a half-speed version:

(or direct link)