Thread: Givson Urbashi electric mandolin - Is it worth?

Question Givson Urbashi electric mandolin - Is it worth?

I'm planning to buy Givson Urbashi e mando. Please spare some time to answer some questions for me.
    1. Has anybody here used it? How is the sound output quality?
    2. Is it built correctly? The fret measurements and other stuff...
    2. Can I get good sustain (infinite sustain is my goal) out of it if I use a compressor-sustainer guitar pedal?
    3. Can it be comfortably tuned to GDAE or are there any problems assoiated with tuning?
    4. The product description says that it has a single coil pickup. I don't know anything about pickups. Can I install another pickup if I'm not satisfied with its sound?
    5. What amp do use?

PS: I don't play bluegrass style that much. I play rock mostly. That's why I need some good sustain for playing leads.
    Last edited by varun19r; Dec-17-2016 at 12:18am. Reason: forgot to mention a point

Default Re: Givson Urbashi electric mandolin - Is it worth?

I have not played one but based on the pictures a Google search gave it has a single coil pickup. Unlike electric guitar pickups, electric mandolin pickups are not standardized for size or shape. Depending on the construction under the pickguard, changing the pickup may be a simple as a drop in replacement, may involve re-shaping the pickguard, or may require modifications to the body itself.

Near infinite sustain is unlikely on a mandolin scale instrument but you may be able to attain it, perhaps with an e-bow.

A regular electric guitar amp should work fine.

Dave Sheets

Short strings never seem to sustain well. Try using a good quality compressor, cranked up.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Here's a UK commercial web page about upgrading the Urbashi pickup.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I'm still trying to "digest" the name.........Givson Urbashi????

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I'm still trying to "digest" the name.........Givson Urbashi????
    Only a Givson is Gud Enuff.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

why ur bashi my istrument
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

There are only two e-mando makers in India. Givson and Tulsi guitars. Tulsi mandolin was played by U Srinivas, mandolin maestro. I've heard that it's a very good instrument, but its bridge is intonated for Indian tuning (CCGCG or EEBEB). I might have tuning problems if I buy it.

I think useless remarks about the names of these brands do not benefit the quality of this thread in particular and forum in general and have possibly been the reason for the OP to start a new thread. Sorry for interrupting.

Quote Originally Posted by varun19r View Post
    ...its bridge is intonated for Indian tuning (CCGCG or EEBEB). I might have tuning problems if I buy it.
    Appears the bridge of the Givson is fixed in position? The Tulsi mandolins displayed at the Tulsi Guitars website all appear to have six single strings, whereas the Givson Urbashi seems to have eight doubled strings. The Tulsi instruments, regardless of tuning, appear to be more like octave guitars than what we consider mandolins, while the Givson is more "mandolinesque," as we know it...(?)
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    I think useless remarks about the names of these brands do not benefit the quality of this thread in particular and forum in general and have possibly been the reason for the OP to start a new thread. Sorry for interrupting.
    I think humor can serve us well in a music forum, offering some relief from the technical talk and seriousness that so many members "enjoy." I might agree in a medical forum discussing life and death issues attempts at humor may be out of place, but here, it is OK, music is supposed to be fun......except for "serious" music, of course! The way humor traditionally works is that you cue in on something that is "different" or stands out as being odd and play upon it. Everyone in the "group" usually gets it and laughs. In our newly politically correct world, humor seems to be overlooked and shied away from in the interest of not offending anyone. I maintain that "Givson Urbashi" is just as ridiculous a name as "Schmergal Devastor" (sp?) in the minds of most people.......but like they say, if you have to explain the joke, well....................

The great Red Skelton character Clem Kadiddlehopper comes to mind -- the name says it all! Very funny, but not a name to be taken seriously and that may be the point.

I fully understand "funny" names may not translate as "funny" in other parts of the world.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Dec-18-2016 at 8:27pm.

13. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

sblock 

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    I think useless remarks about the names of these brands do not benefit the quality of this thread in particular and forum in general and have possibly been the reason for the OP to start a new thread...
    The thing is Jeroen, in this case, the name is relevant to a proper overall response to the OP's question. I don't know about the 'Urbashi' part, but the name 'Givson' is a deliberate attempt to deceive, or at the very least create a false connection with the Gibson brand.

I fully understand "funny" names may not translate as "funny" in other parts of the world.
    Well, it was funny here in Ohio!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

...I maintain that "Givson Urbashi" is just as ridiculous a name as "Schmergal Devastor" (sp?) in the minds of most people...
    And whatthehell is ridiculous about "Schmergal Devastator?"

Other than that it's spelled wrong: Shmergel Devastator. if you please...
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

17. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    The thing is Jeroen, in this case, the name is relevant to a proper overall response to the OP's question. I don't know about the 'Urbashi' part, but the name 'Givson' is a deliberate attempt to deceive, or at the very least create a false connection with the Gibson brand.
    Not just the name, their logo is hilarious too, complete with registered trademark symbol. Look kinda familiar?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	givson-8-string-acoustic-mandolinjj.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	152288
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

19. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I don't mind the humour at all.... enjoy!

But yeah, "Givson" is a deliberate attempt to deceive people. The manufacturers are based in Kolkata, India.
    "Urbashi", in Indian mythology is the name of a dancer for the lord of heaven (manager lord of heaven). I don't believe in all that heaven-hell stuff though.

21. The following members say thank you to varun19r for this post:

"Givson" make decent beginner guitars. A friend of mine was using theirs until he upgraded to a Yamaha.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Appears the bridge of the Givson is fixed in position? The Tulsi mandolins displayed at the Tulsi Guitars website all appear to have six single strings, whereas the Givson Urbashi seems to have eight doubled strings. The Tulsi instruments, regardless of tuning, appear to be more like octave guitars than what we consider mandolins, while the Givson is more "mandolinesque," as we know it...(?)
    Tulsi mandolins have 5 strings and 6 pegs (1 peg is left empty). Carnatic style mandolinists use EBEBE or CGCGC tuning. Western style mandolinists use CGDAE tuning. The single strings and the electrics make it sound more or less like an electric guitar (I was looking for this) and it's well suited for playing lead. I have ordered from them Can't wait!!! I can manage learning new chord shapes on 5 strings.
    Seems like Givson ones have very bad action issues and also come with a poor quality pickup, while it's not the case with Tulsi mandolins. Tulsi ones use humbucker or double rail pickup (depends on the cost) while Givsons use single coil pickup. Not enough!

24. The following members say thank you to varun19r for this post: