Thread: Alexandrov Ensemble

Blog Entries

Default Alexandrov Ensemble

Oh, how sad. The entire ensemble lost in a plane crash. I remember listening to the Red Army Choir in the fifties (on translucent red vinyl 78's). I rediscovered them through youtube. Many of the older stars have since retired or died, but the whole ensemble went down into the Black Sea last night. Director, chorus, orchestra.

I know the ensemble will be reconstituted and will live on. But this is just hard to imagine.

I attach one of my favorites from a long time ago:

2. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Ted Heinonen

Default Re: Alexandrov Ensemble

Sad news indeed and I agree, they were the best. I was lucky to see them here in Duluth, Minnesota several years ago and loved the incredible gusto the choir sang with. They did an incredibly entertaining concert in Helsinki Finland with the infamous "Leningrad Cowboys" back in the 90's in Senate Square (YouTube - Leningrad Cowboys) the concert was a lot of tongue and cheek rock and roll fun with the Red Army Choir and Balalika Orchestra but you could tell they were all having fun. To their memory I say - Kittos Paljon! - Thank you very many! And condolences to their families. A tragic loss.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Default Re: Alexandrov Ensemble

Yes, truly a sad day for our Russian friends and lovers of music everywhere. I found several photos/videos of the ensemble, including this one including choir and orchestra with plucked strings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1172.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	152407
    Thanks for posting, Hank.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas