Thread: CBOMs in Boston

Default CBOMs in Boston

Hi,
    I'm a CBOM player, (focusing on Cittern) at Berklee College of Music, in Boston.

I'm in the market for a new instrument, and I'm interested in a few brands:

Sobell,
    Forster,
    Fylde,
    Nyberg

feel free to suggest others.

I'm wondering if there's anybody with a good Cittern, Bouzouki, or Octave Mandolin in the area that is willing to let me come and try your instrument before I talk to the luthier.

Any information on meet-ups around Boston where someone will have one is also appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Default Re: CBOMs in Boston

Hi Aaron, Dont Live in the US of A but my recommendation is to go for a Forster. I was lucky enough to pick up a used Forster bouzouki(2006) about 2 months ago and it is truly tremendous. It's so good that I'm in the process of selling a crump, a foley and a Tobin bouzouki to finance the purchase of one of his Guitar Bouzoukis which are supposed to be just incredible.

I've played a few Fyldes and they were OK but just didnt grab me I'm afraid. Played one or 2 Sobells but I prefer the Forster. Thats just my opinion. All of the above are great instruments and makers and I know that regardless of which you go for you'll get a great instrument. I'm just a bit biased I suppose!!

Best of luck with your hunt!!

John

Sobells are hard to beat, and you may not be aware that Nigel Forster used to work for Sobell (not a big team - just the two of them working).
    However, he has since gone his own way and developed his own designs, with considerable success it appears. I haven't tried his instruments.
    Fylde certainly have their fans and are a fine company, but I much prefer my Sobell 8-string cittern to any Fyldes I've ever played. Incidentally Sobell sold it to me as an 8-string cittern back in the eighties, although the word cittern seems to now mean a 10-string instrument.

I don't live anywhere near you, however.
    David A. Gordon

Hi Aaron, further to my earlier post, there's a Forster Guitar Body Octave Mandolin up for sale in the CBOM classifieds at the moment. Great instrument. Nigel has a few videos on youtube one of which features an Octave Mandolin like this. worth checking out and its in the US.

There's also an Andy Tobin 5 course bouzouki. Very reasonably priced in my opinion. I have 2 of Andy's Bouzoukis at the moment and his large body one which is similar that that advertised is fantastic. The Calton case that's coming with the bouzouki is worth about $700. Seller looking for circa $1,400 for bouzouki plus case which is an incredible bargain. Only problem is that It's in Sweden!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    Only problem is that It's in Sweden!!
    Ah well, if you're talking about Sweden then there are some very interesting cittern/mandola things happening (as I suspect Aaron may already know)

http://www.christeradin.se/
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...cittern-player
    http://www.alemoller.se/?lang=2
    David A. Gordon

There is also a used redwood and cocobolo bouzouki of mine in the US for sale:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forster bouzouki.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	152129

https://cartervintage.com/products/f...nt=20352298243

It's a very good price, and there will be no more rosewood bouzoukis from me to the US. This was also my last cocobolo instrument.

Nigel

Aaron, check your PM. I have a new Northfield archtop octave you can check out if you're interested. Doesn't quite sound like what you're looking for, but I can bring it to my workplace in Cambridge if you want to come by. Good luck.

I play a Fylde Octavius bouzouki in and around Salem that you would be welcome to try out. I don't make it into Boston too often, unfortunately.

Yeah, that area down near Berklee is tough. I used to get some work done on my guitars with Peter at Broken Neck and could never find anywhere within a half a mile to park.

You might contact Bob Abrams at Trillium (Nottingham, NH). I am not sure that he is still building, but he may have something lying around for you to play. He has made instruments for John Doyle, Andy Irvine, David Surette, etc. I've owned a lot of different octaves and have one of Bob's citterns. I have to say I prefer his to the Sobell that I owned for a few years.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

11. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I love my Trillium, 10-string, larger body, longer-scale (of the models he offers). Drop me a line if you wanna chat, Aaron.

13. The following members say thank you to David Surette for this post:

Thank you Mary & David for your kind endorsements. My instrument production, however, has slowed down to a crawl over the last few years. I've been reluctant to accept the reality that I'm an old guy with sore hands, but I now think it is time to take down my shingle. Any mando family instruments that I might build in the future will be offered in the classified section of this most excellent Mandolin Café website.

Let us all join in celebrating the return of the sun on this beautiful solstice day!

Bob Abrams
    Trillium Octave Mandolins
    Nottingham, New Hampshire

Blog Entries

From the Forum posting guidelines:

Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.